screenshots 3.0

Stevo

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An actual T-64, WOW is all I can say! As for the T-62 (M1975) it's a nice redo, to match the T-55, T-90 and T-72's. All these models will appear up to specs. Looks like the T-62 has crew positions and may very well be crewable, which will give the hardcores simmers a real challange.

Am I right in thinking that the T-64's in the screenshots are all early T-64A's? I'm thinking this because of the gill armor, which to my knowledge was used only until the early 70's and then removed from the T-64A's by the mid-70's and never incorporated with the T-64B.

dejawolf has to answer that- the presence or lack of it doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Better differences to look for are specific sights or perhaps different shape in the turret armor. The angles in these shots are difficult to discern. I just think it's likely the T-64B wouldn't still have it.

OOOOoooooooh YEEEAAH

T-64...!

My fav tank! color me happy :biggrin:

Am I right in thinking that the T-64's in the screenshots are all early T-64A's? I'm thinking this because of the gill armor, which to my knowledge was used only until the early 70's and then removed from the T-64A's by the mid-70's and never incorporated with the T-64B.

I think you're right. I see gill type skirt and coincidence rangefinder, and there's no glacis applique either.

Do we have any crewable tank fit for early-mid 70s? Aside from T-62 that is.

You'll note the T-64B (screenshot 10 provides the best view) also has the radio transmitter box for the ATGM guidance control below the commander's cupola. The ability to fire ATGMs makes the B a much more lethal opponent and is a key difference between the types.

Interestingly, I understand the A and B were used in the same tank regiments in GSFG with the more capable (and expensive) B equipping one battalion and the A two. This may be more a rule of thumb than absolute but opens up some interesting possibilities for scenario designers - assuming they wish to represent a whole regiment, or at least two battalions, of T-64s! :eek2:

You'll note the T-64B (screenshots 08-10)

Ok, so it is the T-64A and B then. Does anyone know the time frames when the T-64A and B were most representative in the GSFG before being replaced by the T-64BV? Or did they all serve together until the collapse of the USSR?

You'll note the T-64B (screenshots 08-10) also has the radio transmitter box for the ATGM guidance control below the commander's cupola. The ability to fire ATGMs makes the B a much more lethal opponent and is a key difference between the types.

Interestingly, I understand the A and B were used in the same tank regiments in GSFG with the more capable (and expensive) B equipping one battalion and the A two. This may be more a rule of thumb than absolute but opens up some interesting possibilities for scenario designers - assuming they wish to represent a whole regiment, or at least two battalions, of T-64s! :eek2:

You're right, just noticed 1G42 for skirt-less variant.

Since this T-64B also lacks glacis applique, this must be either 1976 "basic" T-64B or 1979 variant when reportedly armor was upgraded.

RE: mixed A and B regiments, AFAIK they were mixed not because A was cheaper but because development rate was faster than re-equip rate. (and I guess immediately retooling the T-64A factories wasn't feasible)

But armor-wise, A and B produced in same period should more or less have same armor.

Ok, so it is the T-64A and B then. Does anyone know the time frames when the T-64A and B were most representative in the GSFG before being replaced by the T-64BV? Or did they all serve together until the collapse of the USSR?

What we have here are applique-less variant, so they would fit anytime before 1982.

An actual T-64, WOW is all I can say! As for the T-62 (M1975) it's a nice redo, to match the T-55, T-90 and T-72's. All these models will appear up to specs. Looks like the T-62 has crew positions and may very well be crewable, which will give the hardcores simmers a real challange.

How do you know that T-62 is mod. 1975?

And, once you work that out, you can start adding T-80 into the mix. As far as I'm aware all three types served concurrently up to the end of the Cold War. I've researched this in the past and found something on Tanknet which I printed out for my records. When I get home I'll scan and post here.