screenshots 3.0

Stevo

Yes, the bloom (and HDR) debate is old. Very old. First time I realized it was with the release of Oblivion. 2006...? I think also it is overdone in Skyrim, and leads to some contrast issues where darker surfaces and details laying in shadow appear almost black - or wait, that seems to be more about HDR. However, contrast issues seem not to be the issue with SBP, judging by those screenshots. But by what the trees look like on those two pics, I probably indeed prefer to go without any Bloom at all. An option, a trigger would be much appreciated.

If you need some ideas of how trees and forests gotta look like, I recommend Expansive World's The Hunter. :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, we've finally caught back up with the original Steel Beasts! ;)

If want to know how to do HDR right, just look at Arma 2 and then don't do anything like it does. :D My favorite part of Arma 2's HDR was when you'd be in a forest in the middle of the day and not be able to see anything because of a few pixels of sky peeking out at the top of the screen causing the game to turn the exposure down so far that everything else is almost black.

Yes! I was just remarking to my girlfriend that, perhaps it's a good thing that SB's graphics don't have all the 'eye candy' of other games. And that more attention is given to the physics and vehicle systems.

Reason being: I think this discourages the hordes of trolls that one inevitably encounters playing most any online "shoot-'em-up" game. ...Well, that and the price.:debile2:

You know the sort...those who just show up to blow up anything and everything, generally cause chaos and annoy everyone else? I think the eSim model results in a community that is distilled down to hardcore tank enthusiasts who are interested in as realistic a simulation of tactical combat scenarios as is feasible. With genuine co-operation toward a shared goal.

Having said all that, my presence here refutes some of what I said. :biggrin:

Yes! I was just remarking to my girlfriend that, perhaps it's a good thing that SB's graphics don't have all the 'eye candy' of other games. And that more attention is given to the physics and vehicle systems.

Reason being: I think this discourages the hordes of trolls that one inevitably encounters playing most any online "shoot-'em-up" game. ...Well, that and the price.:debile2:

You know the sort...those who just show up to blow up anything and everything, generally cause chaos and annoy everyone else? I think the eSim model results in a community that is distilled down to hardcore tank enthusiasts who are interested in as realistic a simulation of tactical combat scenarios as is feasible. With genuine co-operat :biggrin:

Good point:diable:

You know the sort...those who just show up to blow up anything and everything, generally cause chaos and annoy everyone else? I think the eSim model results in a community that is distilled down to hardcore tank enthusiasts who are interested in as realistic a simulation of tactical combat scenarios as is feasible. With genuine co-operation toward a shared goal.

Well said sir

could´n agree more, ive been playing alot of RTS, FPS and sim games, and perhaps the thing that i hate the most is, when "arcade-ish" (in lack of better words) only plays the game because of good graphics and dont even want to understand the units and their functions, and just bomb the the living daylight out of everything they see, and thinks that war and tactics are all about guns, bullets bombs and more guns, bullets and bombs.

The other game i play may have more realistic graphics, but they just dont have any "brain", meaning that all you have to do is shooting everything from your left till your right.

I simply love BS and the DCS titles, because the pure complexity and realistic gameplay is enough to scare away those "guns, bullets and bombs" players.

oh, and one more thing, in a sim you only rarely hear players complaints about "OMG that is so overpowered", when in fact that the unit they think is OP´ed is under powered when compairing to the real units specs.

So in short: Superb graphics dont make a game alone, gameplay and sounds does, and i cant complain about the new SB graphics, i would rather have more crewable russian/soviet tank and IFV instead of new graphics.

One thing we have to remember is that, the game have to be backwards compatiable with the various DoD computers, they wont buy new computers because of the new game engine, so that may be the "hold-back", not the developers.

Edited by bmbpdk
typos

Graphics is not SB's defining feature anyway. As long as it builds upon its strengths as an immersive sim (i.e. doesnt break anything or make it more complicated), I'll be happy.

Then why make a engine grafics update and not invest more time in other more appealing features?

Recently there was a lot of clamouring from persons outside the SB community for SB to develop a 'drop-in, 24/7 server' so that thousands more people could play and eSim could become a major player in the 'games' market. Thank G they declined. The fact that SB mulitplayer is purely coop means we need only play with people who will behave responsibly and in the spirit of whoever is hosting that particular scenario.

Recently there was a lot of clamouring from persons outside the SB community for SB to develop a 'drop-in, 24/7 server' so that thousands more people could play and eSim could become a major player in the 'games' market. Thank G they declined. The fact that SB mulitplayer is purely coop means we need only play with people who will behave responsibly and in the spirit of whoever is hosting that particular scenario.

Well , there Could Be a kick or a Locked session function. And after all , most Console kiddy gamers wont spend a 100 euro,s an a " game " like steel beasts. A 24/7 server wouldnt Be a bad idea if you ask me . It would increase the community and thus make more profit for esim . Its not that easy to get a game going you know? It can take some time to hook up with someone . And it depends on how Many people are on teamspeak or reply to a pm invite.

And after all , most Console kiddy gamers wont spend a 100 euro,s an a " game " like steel beasts.

Do not underestimate the enemy :biggrin: MMO addicts(I mean one tank-related game) can do this with ease, as practice shows- outcome is quite interesting...

Radical as in "will have civilians in it (up to 12 parties in a scenario)", "new render engine", "50 new weapon systems", "25 new playable units", "improved path finding", "autonomous navigation for car and pedestrian traffic", "dynamic weather conditions"?

Or is that not radical enough?

Dynamic weather??!! 50 new weapons???

Its not that easy to get a game going you know? It can take some time to hook up with someone . And it depends on how Many people are on teamspeak or reply to a pm invite.

The answer is surely to join a well-organised VU that has a decent core of enthusiastic players and meets regularly. Not that I know any, naturally.

Then why make a engine grafics update and not invest more time in other more appealing features?

I suspect they wanted to add features that was simply not possible with old engine. You know, something more useful than just pure eye candy, like dynamic weather, variable visibility conditions, etc.

If you read some of the other sneak peak threads and was able to add 1+1, I'm sure this would have been obvious to you too...

Here is hope that the bitmap explosions and bitmap fires and bitmap smoke columns will be a thing of the past. While I could for another couple of years have lived very well with the old gfx engine regarding sky, terrain, vegetation and vehicles, these special effects were something that to me looked always inadequate, especially the burning tanks with their tiny little fires and their pedantically small trails of smoke. Hope it is possible now to add something more adequate in display, done either by the house team, or modders.

Well , there Could Be a kick or a Locked session function. And after all , most Console kiddy gamers wont spend a 100 euro,s an a " game " like steel beasts.
Don't know about in the US but here PS3/console games are in the $90-$100 region so getting not too far from the cost of SB Pro PE.

Games are classed as a luxury item as are a lot of electronic equipment so there is a higher level tax on them, one of the reasons we go to either Holland or Germany to purchase items.