screenshots 3.0

Stevo

• Moderators

Just a word of caution:

As a scenario designer, you may not want to put too many BM-21s into it. Needless to say, some 200 rockets (from a battery of 6) incoming at nearly the same time is quite draining on resources. I recommend using a section of 2x BM-21 vehicles, or, at max, a battery of 6 vehicles as a sort of practical amount for a single scenario. ;)

You can of course use as many as you want though... :eek2:

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Soviet VU says thank you Esim.

But caution comes to mind if the reds are getting new arty assets.

What's the west getting.LoL

PS, i can see arty duels becoming a big feature in future battles.

Fire and move will be the order of the day.

56e83ce567365_images(2).jpg.5c302779734c

56e83ce567365_images(2).jpg.5c302779734c

• Members

I should point out that adding artillery units to the ground will make the overall handling of a scenario much more complicated. The upsides are clear - you get a realistic volume of fire, with range limitations. The downside is that your artillery is vulnerable not only to counter-battery fire (provided that you can locate them) but also to exhaustion of ammunition. Unless you mark them as having unlimited ammo - IMO a big No No - you have to organize a stream of ammo trucks between a "depot" region and the firing positions, and that must be monitored, scripted, and managed by someone.

Trucks must be redirected if the artillery unit changes its firing position. Firing positions must be shifted to increase survivability and to reach places which might otherwise be out of range. Having artillery units on the ground has the potential to turn this part of the game into an exercise in administrative procedures.

Incoming sounds by Volcano are amazing, really. A solid ten on the Wow scale.

We hereby officially thank the Taliban mortar crew from Afghanistan who put their video of counter-battery experience into the web, so we could use it as a reference. It's probably not the kind of immortalization you guys tried to achieve, but ... well, I suppose you'll have to take what you get.

The old "orbital artillery batteries" are still available, and we have no intention to eliminate them. For 90% of the scenarios they will probably be the better choice, discounting the coolness factor of the new toys. It's a painless and proven instrument that will neither distract much from the rest of the scenario nor require extensive scripting.

Soviet VU says thank you Esim.

But caution comes to mind if the reds are getting new arty assets.

What's the west getting.LoL

PS, i can see arty duels becoming a big feature in future battles.

Fire and move will be the order of the day.

Be more than happy for Blue to get your suggested MRLS to counter your puny BM-21. :)

The old "orbital artillery batteries" are still available, and we have no intention to eliminate them. For 90% of the scenarios they will probably be the better choice, discounting the coolness factor of the new toys. It's a painless and proven instrument that will neither distract much from the rest of the scenario nor require extensive scripting.

Will there be an option to choose caliber of tubes (or rockets) for use in the off-board strike? Or maybe it doesn't matter because all shells are standardized no matter the caliber...? (yes I'm restating the earlier question again...)

you have to organize a stream of ammo trucks between a "depot" region and the firing positions, and that must be monitored, scripted, and managed by someone.

Wow! Does it mean that supply vehicles will be able to transfer only limited quantity of ammo?

Man, this is gonna be awesome. I might volunteer for arty resupply duty in some online games. Call me weird, but I kinda like the logistics side, too.
Looks like I will have even more to do as CSS in online games :)

*Snuffles angrily* Gerroff you two! Its my precious! Mine! :)

"We need artillery support!"

"Well your going to wait, I'm reloading, again."

At last I can as anally retentive with artillery as Katie is with CSS!

Does mean air simultaneous support is out of the window.....

Soviet VU does not understand statement.

Soviet VU corrects statement

Brought to you by the Ministry of Information

*Comrade Hedgehog clubs Comrade Dark round the head*

My Artillery! Mine!

*Scurries off with PRP-3, and the entire Soviet VU artillery wing*

Comrade General Markovskievitch, Sir.

Humble Comrade Hedgehog asks: Can I borrow this?

*Swipes 1MSGB's only Ural truck*

:)

Ah, so it starts then?

Of course, is Soviet Engine, is bombproof. (Verified up to 1000lbs) :biggrin:

Electric Starter, never did work. (Copied from cheap American truck "Lent" during WW2) :eek2:

However being practical Soviets, we have manual backup. :)

Manual starting "Motherland" is a punishment detail for messing up CGM's tea.

CGM = Comrade General Marko

I can sell you cardboard cut out of Man 8x8 truck for a mere 3 donkeys?

Folds up for portability.

2.5 donkeys? :)

*Snuffles angrily* Gerroff you two! Its my precious! Mine! :)

"We need artillery support!"

"Well your going to wait, I'm reloading, again."

At last I can as anally retentive with artillery as Katie is with CSS!

Does mean air simultaneous support is out of the window.....

*Comrade Hedgehog clubs Comrade Dark round the head*

My Artillery! Mine!

*Scurries off with PRP-3, and the entire Soviet VU artillery wing*

Comrade General Markovskievitch, Sir.

Humble Comrade Hedgehog asks: Can I borrow this?

*Swipes 1MSGB's only Ural truck*

I reckon we will have devote some SVU training time to this hedge.

Its a great addition to the game but its going to be a nightmare trying to resupply and Dodging Counter arty fire.We will also have to assign extra security elements to protect Supply assets especially Air defence units.

(lose the arty lose the battle)

But its going to be very important role for somebody.

I reckon we will have devote some SVU training time to this hedge.

Its a great addition to the game but its going to be a nightmare trying to resupply and Dodging Counter arty fire.We will also have to assign extra security elements to protect Supply assets especially Air defence units.

(lose the arty lose the battle)

Not if you have a player dedicated to looking after the Artillery units.

(And maybe CSS) Only hazards I can see are environmental and retarded AI interfacing.

But I think a company of T-55 will suffice as a dedicated defence if needed, T-55 will make a mess of a Bradley.

The AA units can defend themselves if attacked.

(No ZSU 23-4 please, they are so f**king sloooow)

And Artillery pack the biggest guns in the game! :)

I dunno we can discuss this in TS later :)

Well if it keeps him away from the helicopters, .... ;)
:sonic:

• Members
Wow! Does it mean that supply vehicles will be able to transfer only limited quantity of ammo?

Not at this point, but it's a long-term goal.

That said, if you wanted to park the trucks right next to the firing pit as an unlimited ammo source, you could just as well set the "unlimited" option in the ammo dialog. IMO, it can still make sense to script that they stay with the firing unit for no more than five minutes or so before driving back to the depot.

Not at this point, but it's a long-term goal.

That said, if you wanted to park the trucks right next to the firing pit as an unlimited ammo source, you could just as well set the "unlimited" option in the ammo dialog. IMO, it can still make sense to script that they stay with the firing unit for no more than five minutes or so before driving back to the depot.

But what about the depot's supply?

And the Factory's supply?

And the Material supplier's supply?

:sonic:

Arrrrgh where does it stop??!!!!

If features like this are going to be mandatory it will mean players being taken from the front line for logistical duties. Apart from the fact that pure logistics are unattractive for the majority of players, how many VUs have sufficient players? The goal of more 'realism' is admirable, but how many times have we seen it detract from the core aspects of the game rather than add to it. Think CloD and DCS A10 for a start...

If you are talking purely about a comprehensive military training simulator, that's a different matter. But Pro PE isn't is it?