Attitude in MILS

Hammer

I'm sorry if this has been answered but I could not find it so far. Being a sailor I think of bearings in degrees and range in yards or nautical miles... how is the direction and attitude in MILS determined. In simple terms how do I determine the number that I enter?

I did find an excellent post on making corrections but I need more help with the basics. This would make a great Survival Guide topic.

• Members

Mils are "rounded up" milli-radians, so that a circle has 6400 of them. (For one mil to be equal to one mrad we'd just need 2 x Pi x 1000 = 6283; notice that the Swedish Streck and its Russian equivalent have 6300 units for a full circle, so they are better approximations (but harder to compute mentally)).

0000 mil = North

1600 mil = East

3200 mil = South

4800 mil = West

Here's a link to a brief explanation of how the use of mils as units of angular measurement is helpful in making range estimations:

http://www.1stusvcav.com/estimating_range.html

When adjusting indirect fire, using mils to determine the amount of adjustment is easier than using minutes and seconds. That's why artillerymen use mils for attitude and direction as well.