64 Bit vs of SB for 3.0

Werewolf

If I had to hazard a guess and I do. I do. I would guess that SB is built using a version of C. Probably C++.

If that is so wouldn't it be possible to put out both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version by compiling using the 64 bit option when the 3.0 version is released?

Wouldn't a 64 bit version operate much more efficiently and quicker? At the very least it would open up the memory locations higher than the current limit for 32 bit programs and that in and of itself would work wonders for speeding it up - especially when in the editor.

Both versions could be put out there for the upgrade and those of us with 64 bit processors and OS' and more than 4Gb RAM (probably the majority of us) would benefit greatly and those with 32b OS' could still get the 32b version.

One wonders?

• Members

SB still uses certain Microsoft libraries (especially network code related) for which MS will not provide a 64 bit equivalent. We will eventually replace them, but not for the immediate 3.0 release.

64 bit code is not necessarily quicker or more efficient. In fact, since there is a much MUCH larger memory address space, if you leave the rest of the code alone and just compile it for both 32 bit and 64 bit, the 32 bit executable will run faster for that very reason. A transition towards 64 bit is necessary only where memory constraints are limiting Steel Beasts.

Another factor to consider if network compatibility. By replacing the network stack for a 64 bit version, some extra work is required to ensure that a 64 bit version and a 32 bit version would be able to communicate with each other. That's doable, I'm just saying that it's not quite the trivial no-brainer as it may appear to be.

For programs that aren't dealing with really large integers or lots of memory, the primary advantage to running in 64 bit mode is that there are twice as many registers available which means potentially fewer memory reads/writes and thus faster performance.