Crete anyone?

Kingtiger

So Im going to crete this july for vacation 1 week. Im ending up in Maleme with my sister, her friend and my sisters daughter.

As you can understand im keen as f*ck about getting out of the hotel :redface:

So, googling Crete I get all the usual vacation stuff to visit for tourists but I want to see more of the real crete and the history of crete.

So anyone live in crete or visited enough to give good tips of where to go around Maleme for a week?

/KT

I wouldn't take any pics of any military hardware there a bit oversensitive about it

As a couple of the guys from the Arma development team found out.

I think they have some T-80u tanks and BMP_3 IFV,s.

Or is that Cyprus

Crete is a good choice Sir! I'd say head to the beach right away, you have the best chance of survival there with a help of sufficient beer. Until you are relieved after a week and allowed to go home this is the best spot to be. Regular swims and usual beach activity also improves chanes of survival and fun factor ;)!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Daskal: Im planing to do that 1-2 days at top, rest I want to get out of the usual "tourist" stuff and get into the countryside. Right now looking at renting a bicycle and bicycle my way around for 1-2 days maybe.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm back from Crete. Quite the experience I have to say... But regarding military stuff there wasn't much happening. Walked up to Hill 107 and the german cemetery there and a neighboring RAF memorial. The heat pretty much stopped any further activity, I planned on bicycling into the hills and walking allot, but I ended up in the bar in shadows with a beer and a good book...

Reading Beevors book about Crete while I was there was quite fascinating, sitting on a hotel in Maleme reading about fights on the airfield I could see with my own eyes and reading about attacks towards pyrgos along the coastal road which the hotel was located at and I had walk on myself was really interesting.

And in Chania town I found a new bag for me to use :)

kitty_zpsdd15faa3.jpg

And in Chania town I found a new bag for me to use :)

Haha! Perfect!

Reminds me of my trip to Japan. At the time, I was living in a town called Hampton, Virginia. My girlfriend and I travel half-way around the world and what do we see while walking through an average Japanese neighborhood?

This:

Irony_zps5dcb2780.jpg

*(It reads, "Hampton is for Lovers".)*

Oh yeah, and Welcome Back!