ARRC training day

Kingtiger

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if I can fix Campaign mission 3 for sunday, I will be on a reenactment event during this weekend and right now im spending my free time on preparing stuff for it, and im leaving for it on friday morning.

I best case I will be home saturday ewening wich should give me some time to work on the scenario, but in worst case I wont ewen make it home untill sundays game :(

FYI.

/KT

Hi KT

before you do too much work on mission 3 I think there maybe a problem with mission 2 which could mean that we should rerun it.

After getting my and our asses kicked on Sunday night I've been doing quite a bit of on and offline testing of the ARRC mission 2. I believe that the problem is not in the mission design but more along the lines of a problem posted earlier last week about the "UBER" enemy AI being ultra fast and ultra accurrate (I cant locate the post at the moment but will post it later).

Not wanting to take the credit away from our well trained and agressive Dutch (Cheesehead) enemy, when this advantage is coupled with the fact that they were equiped 2 A5DKs and we only had 2 A4s, I personally think we were sunk before we even crossed the Line of departure.

I have also just had a go at the excellant Ardennes offensive missions posted by Clipper79, again really well thought out campaign and beautiful scenary but as soon as the "UBER" enemy equipped with Leo 2 A5DKs appear its "Mission over, and Sepp Dietrichs Panzer division is in Paris drinking champagne before you can say "Goering is a Gaylord" .

Try it yourself or maybe I need to go back to the tutorials.

Here is the link

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=10565&page=2

Im not sure if this is related perhaps SSnake or Volcano could comment??

Irish

Nah we was screwed in the begining anyway, the first tank we lost I think we have me to blame, I should have cheked so the enemy tanks didnt see that far north (they where supposed to stop an advance south on east side of the river)

But the other tanks lost is our own fault, I had ATGM platoon and some infantry defending the forest line marked with ---ENY--- and advancing on open field 1.5km out from that line and paralell with it is to ask about having the tanks taken out.

If we could have gone south in time and managed to block the bridges with our tanks (and shooting up the enemy tanks on the bridge to create a roadblock) we could have done good and survived, the main attack never started because of some weird condition error (havent found out why yet either) so we could have survived good, but now we didnt manage it and are pretty screwed for next scenario.

However::::::::: I just got home and havent had the time during the week to do next scenario (preperations for the reenactment) and I wont have time to make the scenario in just one day either so we wont have a campaign mission to play this sunday unfortunly.

/KT

so, what time are WE playing? Im awake and up for some SB man! sitting in TS right this second waiting to join you and your crew! (though i'm about to run out to grab coffee and a bagel.)

I are KingTiger's entertainer!

2 more hours, then its time, but what will be played I dont know, guess we will dig upp some old scenario and play.

will there be a game this sunday? if there is i might be a few minutes late. im going out on a 48h MOUT exercise, and i will have to "sanitize" myself a bit before getting in front of the computer, i might also suffer a bit from "fält-koma" or battle-fatigue if you know what i meen, but that just adds to the simulation. =)

KT the stuff that took out my platoon just insta spawned from nowhere and killed everyone, managed to take out a coupple of them before i blew up. I really appreciate the hard work you put into theese scenarios but that was just lame, I was really reluctant to move across that field but since we had to move fast i didn't have any choice, was keeping my eyes peeled to the forest line E of my pos, scanned away for a second when suddenly a barage of atgm's starts flying over my head turned back and there was the entire dutch army.

What I'am trying to say is, since mission 2 started just where mission 1 ended and in mission 1 i had moved my entire platoon of 2a4's (which imho should be 122's instead :-D ) across that field about 2 minutes earlier... well you get my point

KT the stuff that took out my platoon just insta spawned from nowhere and killed everyone, managed to take out a coupple of them before i blew up. I really appreciate the hard work you put into theese scenarios but that was just lame, I was really reluctant to move across that field but since we had to move fast i didn't have any choice, was keeping my eyes peeled to the forest line E of my pos, scanned away for a second when suddenly a barage of atgm's starts flying over my head turned back and there was the entire dutch army.

What I'am trying to say is, since mission 2 started just where mission 1 ended and in mission 1 i had moved my entire platoon of 2a4's (which imho should be 122's instead :-D ) across that field about 2 minutes earlier... well you get my point

Not at all Ghost, those units didnt spawn at all, they where there from the scenarios begining. only spawning units was located far east of the big woods, close to the airstrip, and nothing that engaged us.

And it is pretty dumb to advance across an open field with flank to position that enemy are suspected to hold, especially when there is woods 500m west to use as cover.

So sorry, that platoon was ment to be whiped out when advancing like that.

(but thats a tactical decision of Time vs protection, wich is wery easy to be smart with afterwards)

Yeah I get your point Ghost with them just suddenly be there, but 1) they where supposed to make sure we didnt move east side of river as it jeperdiced the platoon when the main attack camed and 2) with just a little bit of fantasy you can say they just entered forest end when you was in the north, it has happend to me a few times that areas that was secured a few minutes ago suddenly was filled with enemys when I was moving back there again. so its not like its not possible what happend (and minefields was FASCAM mines, so they could be possible to)

However, the map size has been scaled down, it was to bloody big and the scenarios will return more to the "normal" field again, exept from this sundays one. but next scenario will be "a few weeks behind own lines refitting" stuff and then we will have new 122 and cv90s, as what we have now is Notthing....

OK its uploaded and fetch it here:http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/262/p13_fileid/1408

smaller scenario size this time, as I sayed before im trying to take us back to "real" fighting again, last scenarios felt more like a normal SB scenario with to much space to cover with to small forces. So this one is the last semi-unreal fighting, next sundays will be back on track again.

/KT

I'm sure you know already... but just in case:

The Ypr/AIFV and the BMD are much simpler models both grpahically and damage-wise to the normal vehicles, and seem to be significantly tougher for autocannon to kill than BMP/BTR/M2A2/LAV are.

The CV90 only has problems related to rof/ammunition load, but the smaller autocannon/mg have a much tougher time than is normal for similar armour levels elsewhere. I expended 3 full 8 round clips, to disable three YPR in testing, but less than 8 rounds to disable three bradleys at the same range. Another YPR shrugged off an slsgr round from a Leo :eek2:

It might be interesting to compare the results of testing a simple defend in place mission with attacking YPR and Bradley (sans TOW)

I'm sure you know already... but just in case:

The Ypr/AIFV and the BMD are much simpler models both grpahically and damage-wise to the normal vehicles, and seem to be significantly tougher for autocannon to kill than BMP/BTR/M2A2/LAV are.

The CV90 only has problems related to rof/ammunition load, but the smaller autocannon/mg have a much tougher time than is normal for similar armour levels elsewhere. I expended 3 full 8 round clips, to disable three YPR in testing, but less than 8 rounds to disable three bradleys at the same range. Another YPR shrugged off an slsgr round from a Leo :eek2:

It might be interesting to compare the results of testing a simple defend in place mission with attacking YPR and Bradley (sans TOW)

Yeah noticed when I tested them, but nothing I worry about werry much, our troubbel havent been the YPRs really, so if they need more rounds to take out doesnt matther that much.

Btw do you actually play the game or do you only test it for faults? you seems to compare and find errors in the models for ewery vehicle? or is it just a habbit you have to compare? :P

/KT

I do play (mostly offline as I feel lack of vox puts me, and my team at a disadvantage in close contact... Frankly the AI sucks and deserves what it gets, but you guys don't :)), and while playing, occassionally notice things that 'stand-out' as being odd.

I then try to explain to myself what it is that I found odd, and if I think it justified I'll see if I can replicate it. As I don't have the exact values used within the simulation, or always the design intention/state of completion for a feature, I can't categorically state that 'this is broken' or 'it should do this instead', but can compare the average/worst/best performance of a number of situations, and ask whether the behaviour is expected/desired.

Overall I hope my input is helpful, but I would test and make notes for myself even if they weren't noted/used by Esim or the community.

Thanks for joining guys, keep this up and you are soon ARRC-standardized :P

I had allot of fun Co:ing the 2nd Mission and yes tacbat, you do need to practice bridgelaying ;) but as we didnt get any big casualtys it didnt matther to much =)

3rd one was a bit.. messy... and trees vs KT once again gaved the trees victory (driver and TC knocked) and on 1st one I lost both tracks to a tree... I dont like that odds against me :P

hope to see you 3 guys next sunday as well!

/KT