ARRC training day

Kingtiger

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually enigma I am planning to record the whole campaign and make episodes of it - 1st mission is already on video. But time limitations (videos plus campaign missions) may prove to be a bit too much for my current scedual.

Zip

Hey no problem...just so I know you got some more excellent movies in the works. They are fun to watch.

Perhaps later on, Koen :) But then you got to remember that even if you do something differently in the mission compared to us, the next one will continue from where the last mission ended for us. This means all our screw-ups, damage, ammo depleted and losses will reflect to next mission even if you did flawlessly. ;) Also if the missions have bugs I wont fix them later on as they are meant to be single use.

Zip

A compilation of 10 Platoon sized coop missions by myself and KT. Missions are mostly self explanary. In some human works as a part of company and needs to follow orders from CO given in text window and use some triggers.

Can be used as "warm up" and platoon drills for us.

Zip

EDIT: FIXED BOTH CV PLATOON MISSIONS TO VERSION 2 - NOW THEY WORK OK, TESTED ON MP :)

platoon_miss_zip.4fc361466a3b40fa459b5e3

platoon_miss.zip

Mission 2 is getting finalized. Here's the briefing and situational map. Please ask if there's something you like to know. Please read this thru so no need to stop to read on sunday, okay?

------------------------

ARRC CAMPAIGN 2

-Mission 2

THE WITHDRAWAL

Enemy:

The enemy attack got us by complete surprise - not that it came, but that they were able to start so soon! Also their crossing of the Mainila -river was fast and furious and all our forward positions were overran. The enemy mech regiment that conducted the crossing also pushed forth units to expand the breach and keep battlecontact with our forces. They managed to cause our BG some damage, but their losses were quite high. From the intel gathered we know there is an enemy 13th Guards Mech Division attacking along ROAD 6 south. The division has foremost units moving and first regiment is supposed to attack BG101 later toady. On the division's right another mechanized unit is attacking - clearly a support attack by propably a regiment/brigade size unit. Their units are already moving to attack AROLA - MAKKARALA area. This kind of wider attack leads us to believe they are confident that we don't have enough reserves in the area to really stop them. And they're right!

Own:

BG101 is now in position and digging in anxiously. They've taken casualties by artillery and air attacks. Inf Bn 112 has it's main defense line ready and dug-in along MATTILA - MAKKARALA -line, but they have one company, that was pushed forward, in danger of being surrounded and cut off by the enemy. Our own BG is arriving in the area and most of it is taking positions now around and south of MAJAVA-OJALA -line. A and C companies are pushed forth and were cought by surprise when the enemy attacked and are in danger of being overran by the enemy attack. OUR BG IS THE ONLY RESERVE UNIT IN THE AREA - for this reason the companies must be pulled back behind the main defense line!

Mission:

1st MECH BG will deploy in the MAJAVA - OJALA -area and south of it and pull back its companies that are still north of MAKKARALA. BG prepares to conduct counter-attacks to direction of ROAD 6. BG prepares to repel any enemy airborne assaults in our sector. BG will cover 1/112's withdrawal to MAKKARALA.

This is done by (BG CO's intent):

1st PHASE:

-Recce platoon is sent to GHAYE area to support 1/112's retreat. The platoon will also cover ALPHA company's left flank

-C company with heavy damage and casualties is pulled off the frontline thru ALPHA ASAP.

-After C has withdrawn ALPHA company is gathered to the west side of MIEHIKKÄLÄ RIVER.

2nd PHASE:

-ALPHA will defend the corridor from MIEHIKKÄLÄ to MAKKARALA untill 1/112 has reached MAKKARALA.

3rd PHASE:

-Alpha company will withdraw thru MAKKARALA to new deploy area (marked on map) and RESUPPLY

Orders to units:

1/ECHO (Stalin!):

Move best speed along route BRAVO to GHAYE area. Push to the hole in our lines and prevent 1/112 getting flanked from that direction. Push cautiously along your AOR towards BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and engage any enemies in your AOR - if strong enemy forces are met pull back no further than GHAYE. When 1/112 has withdrawn thru Arola, start pulling back while keeping recce contact to any enemies moving thru your AOR to ALPHA's left flank. Withdraw with ALPHA thru MAKKARALA. Report back to BG CP when your mission is accomplished - you will get new orders (for camp mission 3)!

2/ECHO (ATGM, AI):

When you arrive to the area, continue on the move to the hills south of MAKKARALA and support ALPHA and 1/E when they withdraw. Cover BG's northern flank.

CHARLIE COY (AI):

Withdraw best speed supported by ALPHA. Pull back to BG's logistics company for repairs.

ALPHA COY:

Support Charlie coy's withdrawal. When they are out of the area, pull all your units to the western side of MIEHIKKÄLÄ river and defend the corridor against enemy attacks from the north. When 1/112 has withdrawn to MAKKARALA you are ordered to withdraw to repairs and resupplies.

GOLF (ENG):

...with 2 platoons lay a minefield north of Makkarala. Keep the road open untill 1/E and 1/112 are withdrawn thru the minefield, then block the road and pull back to G deploy area.

HOTEL units (KT):

Move to ALPHA's planned positions, set up rearm, repair and refuel points. With small detachment (size and composition decided by you!) move north to provide support to ALPHA in their defence.

SUPPORT:

2/E and a MILAN platoon will provide direct fire support for ALPHA on their withdrawal.

Our Mortar Company (8 tubes, HE, SMOKE, ICM) will support ALPHA and ECHO. ALPHA has 1st priority of fires and ECHO 2nd.

MISC:

1/E keep ALPHA informed on enemy movements to their left so they can react in time if needed.

kartta_miss2.JPG.498fe030a214a7bfdcdab23

kartta_miss2.JPG.498fe030a214a7bfdcdab23

OK gents, you know the situation, but here is few things that will influence the next mission:

A coy has 7 CVs (minus 3) left (CO & FO R.I.P)

C coy has 4 Leos (minus 6) left (XO R.I.P) - [from which 3 tanks were attached to A Coy and of those 2 lost]

E coy has 1 CV and 1 FIST

H coy is a o kay

So basically we got ~1 company of casualties and lost our eyes. The night came right after mission 2 was finished and during the night KT's H coy moved up ammo for our units and most damage was fixed in our vehicles. BG CO also combined A and C coys to form one mixed company sized unit.

So now our BG has 3 companies that are almost full strenght (B and D have not yet been engaged except with few enemy recce elements). CO has also done some arrangements to get us a new pair of eyes - 1/E remains have received some vehicles from H Coy and K (BG command) Coy. The good thing is we got now a unit to send on a few minutes notice to recce one area. The bad thing is that it has way less firepower and armour, which means it is no longer capable of performing agressive armour-recce duties. Of course 2/E (ATGM Plt) can be used to boost recce element's defensive values, but attacking is no longer possible.

The enemy was discouraged due to heavy casualties after 1st mission which resulted in a lot less agressive attack in 2nd mission. Good thing is we got away from the steamroller - bad thing is enemy was left with most of his strenght - only light casualties was taken by the battalions that attacked. As we also saw during the mission there was a lot of helicopter activity (hind and transport) along road 6. Let's see what "tomorrow" brings us!

Zip

MP tank company missions for 4-8 players...

8 player version is 4 vehicle platoons -> 2 players a platoon

other versions are 3 vehicle platoons -> 1 player a platoon

Just to train some basic stuff with tank company. There is lots of targets to keep it interesting - blue equipment (leo2) is superior over red (opfor) so the missions are not difficult. No map updates...

Zip

tankcoy_zip.6074314a49394cbcedb1aef4c08a

tankcoy.zip

Zip,

I think you are the best small mission writer in the community. Your missions are very challenging and very realistic.

BUT (:))

I have to say I go through them in mission editor and turn map updates back on. Both for SP and MP if I am hosting.

It would be fine to have them off if you play with others who routinely report their position with grid coordinates or by placing a graphic on the map and sending it (you know from playing with me that I put up a TRP every time I move my tanks and map updates are off) but very few players do, even in ARRC.

I've commanded real life units scattered over hundreds of square miles (MP units tend to get very spread out supporting a whole division) and I always (assuming we were in radio contact) knew where every one of my vehicles was. If I didn't, I immediately asked. Then I would get out my map (with plastic cover) and grease pencil and scribble a graphic representation.

The requirement for position reports has to be enforced by the commander. Heaven help the fool who worked for me and changed positions without giving me a grid reference. How else could I help him if he got into trouble and I didn't know where he was?

Giving position reports whenever I moved was beat into my thick head as a young lieutenant. That's why I still do it. It improves everyone's SA. And, in real life, the CO can't jump from tank to tank as is done in SB (THAT is something I would get rid of completely; totally unrealistic -- just ask for a sitrep)...and, in real life, the CO can't jump into the driver's seat of a subordinate's tank and do a Leroy Jenkins (even if it ends up being hilarious). :)

All that map updates is doing is performing what I routinely did with a radio and a grease pencil in real life. And, these days, it's all done electronically and automatically (don't throw away the map and the grease pencil, though, those computers do crash).

I'll play with them off if that's the way the host has it set but I consider it very unrealistic unless regular position reports are provided by the players and demanded by the unit commander.

Just my $0.02 (US, which isn't worth anything these days :)).

HT

0,016€?? But I usually keep an eye on my platoons in game (not watching the map too much anyways) so no need to call in their positions most of the time. Of course this requires you have visual with them, which requires you are there up on front :)

Zip

0,016€?? But I usually keep an eye on my platoons in game (not watching the map too much anyways) so no need to call in their positions most of the time. Of course this requires you have visual with them, which requires you are there up on front :)

Zip

The problem isn't the CO not knowing where they are.

The problem is the platoon leaders not knowing where the other platoons are.

THAT requires good vertical and horizontal commo (which you don't seem to think is needed) or map updates.

HT

THAT requires good vertical and horizontal commo (which you don't seem to think is needed) or map updates.

HT

Yeah its lacking SOP from the platoonleaders, and from the Co who arent demanding it.

But that is something that is there to be drilled in,wich wont be achieved if we play with map updates on all the time right?

Map update of is there because of several reasons. it demands correct use of radiocoms (to transmit where the fuck you are and doing). stop the lone tank wondering off (dang hard to keep track of position of 3 vehicles spread out over the map). Making it hard to pin down the enemy as you dont really know where he are (wich demands good reporting once again)

we are far from experts on this, but its something that needs to be practiced allot, and therefore there are scenarios that dont have mapupdates, and personly I love nomapupdates because it makes it feel more realistic!

/KT

KT,

With all due respect (I never really knew what that phrase is supposed to mean, but it sounds good and they use it a lot in war movies)...:)

Updates off is less realistic if good commo isn't used. (I think we're saying the same thing here, it's just a question of which comes first: Good commo or turning off the updates).

If commanders don't insist units report their positions it simply can't work with map updates off.

If you read my earlier post, I said any real life unit of mine that moved without giving me a new position was in for a severe ass-chewing from me. Do it again, and some stripes are going to get ripped off :)

I don't hear that being done in your missions. I suspect not many of you led a platoon or commanded a company or a battalion in real life or even used a military radio (actually, very few soldiers do).

Knowing where your units are located is the single most essential element of situational awareness. It's the starting point for developing a picture of the battlefield.

When you establish good commo procedures and discipline, then you can turn off the map updates.

Not before.

(Which isn't to say I refuse to play updates-off missions, I just think they are unrealistic :))

:3starSK:

HT

Just because you are w/o SA when there is no map updates, it doesnt mean others are as well.

There is no need to flood comms if it's known what is happening. When I was in army we sure did not flood every 100m our position. If our orders are to move to reference point xy, there is no need to report the progress if there is no request to do so or no situation to require that.

And from my experience with ARRC, it is not as bad as you would try to present. Usual procedure is to report the position on the finished assigned position and if contact is made, etc.

Bottom line is this: If you do not like playing w/o map updates, then don't.

HT

HT, From what I can gather you think its betther not to practice on nomapupdate because the SOP and routine to report locations arent there, Right?

If so, then how the hell should we ever get that? when you play on mapupdate scenarios there are no need and ppl avoid clogging the net with location reports because eweryone can see ewerything. so that way we never get the routine!

So right now you sound damn unlogic to me, you want us to avoid a training as we dont have the knowledge and experience (wich we will have after training and wich is the whole point with training)

and then about zips comment... Finnish and swedish forces fights pretty much the same ive noticed and in our type of terrain (I point this out as it affects allot) we normally advanced where the platoons can see eachother, then why do you need a Sitrep on location? (Alfa can se Bravo and Bravo can see Charlie and so on) and then as Vati points out all units gets a confirmation on the other platoons locations as they reports in "taken line 101 center part" or "past reference pont 94, no contact, continuing"

So for our part continues 60seconds location reports are needed. there is a damn big difference between controling small MP units dispersed over a divisions area (who have a different mission anyway) then controling a tank or mech Company that have same goal and same direction, both having totally different challenges in theirself.

But yeah, we need to practice more on reports and contact reports on nomapupdate scenarios, this currage me to press on to play more nomapupdate scenarios as this clearly shows we need the training.

/KT

Now I got what you were after HT, last sundays game we played, the head to head one. All your points are correct about that particular game and some of the other games we played lately with many non members. Like KT puts it, we need to practice some more, again. That game slipped into "gamey" gaming (hopping from tank to tank and the last "leeroy jenkings" stuff I usually don't do). See PM!

Zip

Apologies for not making it along... hectic weekend... no time for computer RL dominated

I hope it went well. My recon efforts usually get laughed at anyway, so im sure it wasnt a huge loss...

No problems, there wasnt any gaybars around! :)

Ha ha... Na serius its a pitty you couldnt turn up, we practiced company drills without recon assets, it was a nice show and we learnt allot, so its a shame that you and ghost didnt show up :(

Hey whats wrong with your recon? you normally find the stuff without getting killed? (yeah I know we like joking about it thoe ;) )

I think you are a damn good recon dude :)

/KT

Yeah im pretty pissed that I couldnt make it, because it is fun and had I been able to get to the computer for a few moments I would have posted on ronner.

Next weekend I will be there for sure :)

Thanks for that KT, im unsure of how im doing in recon because there is nothing but joking about how I go about it, im all for a little joke of course always have been, but after a while you start believing the jokes lol :)

Thanks for encouragment its nice to know ;)

Cheers