why the AMX-13?

Stevo

Dont get me wrong i really like the fact that the AMX is included in the game,the thing is, if it's not crewable in what kind of setting would it be useable?.

In exactly the same setting as all the other currently non crewable vehicles.

If you removed all the non crewable vehicles because in your opinion they are "un usable" then the vehicle fleet would certainly shrink.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong i really like the fact that the AMX is included in the game,the thing is, if it's not crewable in what kind of setting would it be useable?.

If you're looking for a historical background to spice up missions with AMXs, you could look at Middle East, SE Asia, or even multinational mission with cold war europe background.

And there are enough units to accompany/oppose AMXs for such "historically feasible" missions, such as T-55, PT-76, BTR, M113, various Leo-1 variants, etc.

I don't think there is an underlying motive/related future plan for every added unit in SB, especially those that benefit non-military customers than the other. Here, AMX could have been added in preparation for a new feature. Or just as equally, maybe it was added because this particular tank took so little of development resource that devs could implement it in their spare time.

But the point is, the community would welcome something rather than nothing.

• Members
The only thing that puzzles me a little is why the 75 mm version and not the 90 or 105.

Ah, that question is specific enough that I can answer it. :)

To begin with, the artist made a 75mm variant. And Jane's Ammunition Handbook had suitable data for it (as well as for the PT-76's gun) that allowed me to calculate the necessary parameters. Also, there is no serious KE round for this gun.

Going 90mm would have required to develop a model for full caliber AP rounds (you cannot apply the Odermatt equation to those; that one is valid only for subcaliber long rod designs). As the artwork was submitted relatively recently there simply was no time for this.

And the 105mm version would be visually too different. Besides, it's not the 105mm L7 gun but a shorter French gun with different characteristics, so the whole library of rounds that we already have in SB Pro would again have been useless.

• Members

Beyond that, the comparatively wide proliferation of the AMX-13 certainly contributed to the reasons to include it, and it ties in with older 1960s/1970s period vehicles of which we already announced a few (e.g. Leo 1A2, M113A2, BTR-50PK, PT-76).

Ah, that question is specific enough that I can answer it. :)

To begin with, the artist made a 75mm variant. And Jane's Ammunition Handbook had suitable data for it (as well as for the PT-76's gun) that allowed me to calculate the necessary parameters. Also, there is no serious KE round for this gun.

Going 90mm would have required to develop a model for full caliber AP rounds (you cannot apply the Odermatt equation to those; that one is valid only for subcaliber long rod designs). As the artwork was submitted relatively recently there simply was no time for this.

And the 105mm version would be visually too different. Besides, it's not the 105mm L7 gun but a shorter French gun with different characteristics, so the whole library of rounds that we already have in SB Pro would again have been useless.

Thanks for answering my query.

*T-55 or T-62 then :)

Well as I said, the 75mm is basically a copy of the KwK 42 as mounted on a Panther.

A T-55 is proof against even the PzrGr 40 round from the front, as a T-55 (And Centurion) were pretty much designed with effective capabilities against Tigers in mind (I believe).

and quite a fun one :)

If you're refering to the WOT way to use it, you're gonna be disappointed...

The AMX 13 was used by mecanised infantry, providing first actions till the arrival of heavies (M47 Patton).

it is possible to knock out a T-72 from the flank with 25mm if you hit at the right angle.

Still the autoloader thingy. :)

I was wondering why everybody call every AMX tanks just AMX...

AMX is just the design bureau where the configurations are made.

Over here, if we want to shorten the names, we use 13T (tonnes) or just X13.

That way we can distinguish the type of the vehicle.

The AMX 13 was used by mecanised infantry, providing first actions till the arrival of heavies (M47 Patton).

Of course! In WOT, you jsut drive around at full speed shooting widly like a mad man

But still, it's a fun vehicle :)

I always thought the old M60A2 Starship was an interesting tank, if not a big failure of a tank.

Just trying to guide a Shillelagh missile toward a target after all the vibration and smoke without having thermal sights in the mid 70's

Or using the low velocity 152mm gun, against hordes of Russian armor from the time period would make for interesting play.

Just dreaming though.

It would be neat to get the AMX-13 T75 (Char Lance SS-11) or later AMX-13 T75 avec TCA with all the guided missiles slung around the turret :D

AMH-13_2.jpg

AMH-13_1.jpg

789625.jpg

Of course! In WOT, you jsut drive around at full speed shooting widly like a mad man

But still, it's a fun vehicle :)

Yeah, hidden at the hedge of the woods shooting targets like hungry cats.

Pure speculation on my part but...perhaps Esim is putting in these older era vehicles in order to have a setting for a new crewable vehicle not yet shown? Something which may be part of that era?

Perhaps they include such vehicle because they have 3D artists to feed, and maybe they had modeled it because they had a descent documentation.

At least that make me gather all the documentation I have to give a hand!

Still the autoloader thingy. :)

I was wondering why everybody call every AMX tanks just AMX...

AMX is just the design bureau where the configurations are made.

Over here, if we want to shorten the names, we use 13T (tonnes) or just X13.

That way we can distinguish the type of the vehicle.

I am a former AMX TC, but not an X10RC or X10P, or X40, or X32, or X13, or X50.

Just an X30B, X30B2 and XLeclerc