Soviet Naval Infantry Regiment

Panzer_Leader

Hi Guys

I'm a fair way along in developing a concept for a new scenario that pits Danish forces against Soviet Naval Infantry (and elements of a BMD-equipped airborne regiment). I wanted the PT-76 for the regiment's organic reconnaissance company and tank battalion and, now that it's arriving in v3.0 (thanks eSim!), I'm inspired to continue developing it. I have a question though as I work through it which I'm hoping people here may be able to assist with:

• Does anyone know what years the T-55 and AT-3 were replaced in Soviet Naval Infantry service by more advanced types? I'm fascinated by the T-55 and AT-3 in front-line Soviet service in the late '80s but also want to use later Danish equipment (such as Leopard 1A5 DK instead of 1A3) if possible so need to understand the last possible moment at which I can still use T-55 and AT-3 in my scenario.

Thanks very much!

Hi Guys

I'm a fair way along in developing a concept for a new scenario that pits Danish forces against Soviet Naval Infantry (and elements of a BMD-equipped airborne regiment). I wanted the PT-76 for the regiment's organic reconnaissance company and tank battalion and, now that it's arriving in v3.0 (thanks eSim!), I'm inspired to continue developing it. I have a question though as I work through it which I'm hoping people here may be able to assist with:

• Does anyone know what years the T-55 and AT-3 were replaced in Soviet Naval Infantry service by more advanced types? I'm fascinated by the T-55 and AT-3 in front-line Soviet service in the late '80s but also want to use later Danish equipment (such as Leopard 1A5 DK instead of 1A3) if possible so need to understand the last possible moment at which I can still use T-55 and AT-3 in my scenario.

Thanks very much!

Hi Panzer Leader.

Sounds like something we in soviet VU would like to participate in if you are not

Scripting the red side. Also some of The T-55's in there units were modified with the Drozd protection system.

Not sure but i think it also had the ability to fire the AT-8 songster missile.

I have read there navel infantry were trained to a higher standard then regular units.

2013-06-04_06.jpg.5185b312307c0be4c7e5b3

2013-06-04_06.jpg.5185b312307c0be4c7e5b3

Thanks mpow66m! You're right, that's a helpful article. Given it was written in 2001 and mentions Soviet Naval infantry was still in the process of converting its T-55, PT-76 and AT-3 at that time, I feel comfortable setting my scenario in the 1992-94 time frame when the Leopard 1A5 DK replaced the Leopard 1A3 in Danish tank and reconnaissance squadrons. So, strictly speaking, this thread should be named "Russian Naval Infantry Regiment"...

By the way, if you're interested in Soviet Naval Infantry, you may like this U.S. Army Command and General Staff College paper of 1977 which provides a lot of historical background and contemporary analysis: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A45842D4036D2CE6!450&authkey=!AIIM80dhvN58990

Thanks mpow66m! You're right, that's a helpful article. Given it was written in 2001 and mentions Soviet Naval infantry was still in the process of converting its T-55, PT-76 and AT-3 at that time, I feel comfortable setting my scenario in the 1992-94 time frame when the Leopard 1A5 DK replaced the Leopard 1A3 in Danish tank and reconnaissance squadrons. So, strictly speaking, this thread should be named "Russian Naval Infantry Regiment"...

By the way, if you're interested in Soviet Naval Infantry, you may like this U.S. Army Command and General Staff College paper of 1977 which provides a lot of historical background and contemporary analysis: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A45842D4036D2CE6!450&authkey=!AIIM80dhvN58990

Based on what we have in SB, (baseline "vanilla" T-55) you'd be looking at 1960-70s timeframe.

T-55AM/MV is a very different beast with its ability to use LRF and hurl missiles. And if experience with T-80U and T-72B is anything to go by, missiles from tank guns bloody hurt.

Hi Guys

Thanks very much!

Did you look at the "Soviet TO&Es 1980-89 v.1.6" that I sent to you awhile back?

Panzerleader, I would recommend, like Ssnake, to use it with Polish Forces instead. :)

It's more historically plausible that they were used for the Invasion of Denmark and it's easier to do.

Here is a screenshot of the OOB from Danube Front 85'.

The author behind is Tazzaron, who spend a lot of time, putting this OOB in the game.

It's part of his modded Scenario called Bolt out of the Blue, which I would recommend to anyone who is Cold War fanatic and know the game.

His sources are amongst others, the OOB from MicroArmorMayhem, which I would also recommend, since it's highly detailed and is a compilation from many different authors.

It's the 7. Landing Division from the Polish Army and were, in the game and possibly in real life, marked for a seaborne invasion in Denmark, either on Jutland or maybe on one of the Islands, Funen or Zealand.

As you can see, it has 3 Battalions, 4, 34, and 35. Each is equipped with TOPAS-2AP (BTR-50) and a recon unit of 10 PT-76's.

It also has the 11. tank Battalion of 40 PT-76.

It also has ATGM units and artillery units etc.

Since we have all these units, the TOPAS-2AP is mostly a BTR-50 with modifications and artillery can be simulated, you should be able to use this in a 1989 scenario.

The Leopard 1A5DK could be used as a stand-in for the 1A3, I don't think, it makes a big difference, whether it's a 1A3 or 1A5.

Although I would recommend that we get an M41 Patton on The_List *Hail Hail Hail* since it was used in the recon units. :)

There are some pictures on wikipedia of the units involved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OT-62_TOPAS

As I said, a BTR-50 with some modifications ;)

Just a suggestion, if you wanted it :)

I have another Screenshot now of the 336 Naval Infantry Brigade of the Soviet Army.

It's comprised of 6 battalions:

887 recon battalion, 26 PT-76's

877, BTR-80's

878, BTR-80's

884, BTR-60's

879, landing battalion, paratroopers, I believe they are supposed to be dropped inland.

112 Tank Battalion, T-55AM's

This Brigade is also supposed to be used in an amphibious assault, but I don't know where, possibly Zealand or maybe Jutland.

As you can see, since we only have T-55's, the T-55AM (or is it AD?) would have to have T-72's as stand-in, maybe even the upcoming T-72BV.

ScreenShot008_rar.3d7424b464f2aa8317329c

ScreenShot009_rar.a9f1e7a23d9c1638b0ce30

ScreenShot008.rar

ScreenShot009.rar

Edited by PincerDK

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys, particularly PincerDK. Just to be clear, the scenario I’m now thinking about is set during the collapse of the Soviet Union and, more specifically, around the time of the 1991 coup d’état – which in this case was successful. Given the Warsaw Pact had dissolved by this time I think it’s reasonable to expect Soviet forces to be the protagonists. Anyway, this allows me to pit late-Cold War Danish equipment (Leopard 1A3 and M113A1) against Soviet airborne and naval infantry forces, which was always my goal. I’ll ensure there’s a somewhat plausible cover story to set the scene.

As for the T-55 used by Soviet naval infantry, the T-55 modelled in the sim is actually a T-55AM: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/sbvwiki/T-55. It may not be the ultimate version used by Soviet Naval Infantry but I’m always happy to get as close to the actual vehicle as the current version of Steel Beasts Pro PE allows me which, in this case, is the AM model (I’m not prepared to substitute a T-72B).

Anyway, I’m already working on the first scenario where the Danes face a BMD-2-equipped airborne blocking force and we’ll see where we get to from there :)

As for the T-55 used by Soviet naval infantry, the T-55 modelled in the sim is actually a T-55AM: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/sbvwiki/T-55. It may not be the ultimate version used by Soviet Naval Infantry but I’m always happy to get as close to the actual vehicle as the current version of Steel Beasts Pro PE allows me which, in this case, is the AM model (I’m not prepared to substitute a T-72B).

Sorry for necro, just saw your response here.

Usually, when "T-55AM" is mentioned, at least in old sources, it means this:

skf222.jpg

most notable features are LRF, BDD applique, and ATGM suite.

I don't usually quote common wiki but checked nevertheless to search for any clue at information mismatch and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/T-55_Operators_and_variants

Starting in 1970 T-55s were being armed at Uralwagonzavod 12.7 mm DShK 1938/46 or KPVT loader's anti-aircraft heavy machine guns. These tanks were known as Model 1970, or sometimes T-55AM.
T-55M (Ob'yekt 155M)/T-55AM (Ob'yekt 155AM)[97] - Modernization of respectively T-55 and T-55A with new "Volna" fire control system... ...BDD turret brow armour and glacis appliqué

What I referred to is the latter, thus my reservation at using T-55 as is for 80s.

I think currently it's best proxied by one of the Leo1 variants, which at least have a LRF.