Tank platoon

apelles

I read somewhere: the 3 tank platoon is better than 4 tank platoon. I'm not a tactic expert, but just starting from the rotte und schwarm or buddy team thing, i don't really see the point of the 3 tank/ platoon method.

Could someone explain this for me?

• Members

Aside from the fact that the Bundeswehr experimented with this concept in the late 1990s (and ultimately rejected it), the basic argument is that it allows the company commander to build a local reserve since he can deploy three platoons and retain the fourth for whatever may come. With three platoons of four vehicles, this is not possible. On the upside, each platoon is stronger and you have two sections to support reach other (e.g. if you need to move in bounds due to limited maneuver space).

Now I sure the hell ain't no expert... but while playing SB Pro PE platoon missions, both with a 3 and 4 tank platoon, I must insist as commander on a 4 tank platoon, if for nothing else, dividing the unit and using them to support each other, suppress and flank.. IE: a crappy example of my game play using a platoon, made for a non-gamer friend trying to get him into SB Pro PE, he was a tanker for 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztDukB8hKug

I just don't feel comfortable splitting a 3 tank platoon.

Now I sure the hell ain't no expert... but while playing SB Pro PE platoon missions, both with a 3 and 4 tank platoon, I must insist as commander on a 4 tank platoon, if for nothing else, dividing the unit and using them to support each other, suppress and flank.. IE: a crappy example of my game play using a platoon, made for a non-gamer friend trying to get him into SB Pro PE, he was a tanker for 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztDukB8hKug

I just don't feel comfortable splitting a 3 tank platoon.

Well I'm pretty sure the three vehicle Platoon is designed such that instead of providing mutual support within the Platoon via two groups of 2, the Platoons support each other (one group of three supports the other group of three) within the Squadron / Company.

This plus the fact that four smaller Platoons, gives the Squadron / Company commander an "extra" Platoon so he has a reserve at say Squadron / Company level instead of within the Platoon itself.

Aside from the fact that the Bundeswehr experimented with this concept in the late 1990s (and ultimately rejected it), the basic argument is that it allows the company commander to build a local reserve since he can deploy three platoons and retain the fourth for whatever may come. With three platoons of four vehicles, this is not possible. On the upside, each platoon is stronger and you have two sections to support reach other (e.g. if you need to move in bounds due to limited maneuver space).

But this can be achived by four 4 tank platoon greater efficiency, or not?

The soviet style company is three 3 tank platoon. This has also no reserve, like the american tank company plus fewer tank.

The german style platoon is not split up?

The soviet style company is three 3 tank platoon. This has also no reserve, like the american tank company plus fewer tank.

...don't forget that it will usually be supported by a BMP platoon from the (tank)regiments MechInfBN.

So the sovjet version also had 4 platoons (most of the times)

In France we were using 4 tanks platoon until the reform in 2009:

Heavy cavalry and light cavalry have been simplified: Armoured Cavalry

Same missions, same structure: 3 gun and 3 scout vehicules.

It can be either 3 Leclerc and 3 VBL or 3 AMX10RC and 3 VBL or 3 ERC90 and 3 P4 (french version of G240).

A squadron is now composed of 4 platoons.

Of course this is only a financial modification, the effect on the ground is terrible...

They did not adopt the structure we had proven to be efficient: 4 gun, 2 scout and 1 direct support with dismounts

I think you'll find the Germans initially had:

3 Platoons of four tanks (12) + CHQ and then tried

4 Platoons of three tanks (12) + CHQ

The overall number didn't change - just the distribution.

What the Australian and English platoon/company system?

England:

It used to be 3 vehicle troops I think it was 4 troops per Squadron.

But with the the new type 56 Regiment

It is now 4 vehicle troops with 4 troops per squadron.

So.

4 troops + XO + CO = 18 tanks

x 3 squadrons

= 54 tanks + Reg XO + Reg CO = 56 tanks = type 56 regiment.

Try goolling Coldwar Gamer, his website has lists for older British Army Regiments