ads in utorrent

Homer

I recently updated to the latest utorrent from a very old version, and was disappointed to discover how bloated it had become. I spent a couple of days messing around with the settings and finally got rid of the annoying stuff...

1. Go to Options > Preferences > Advanced

2. Search for the following entries and set them to FALSE:

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

gui.show_plus_upsell

offers.content_offer_autoexec

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled/left_rail_offer

offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled/sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

Does anyone know of another decent torrent program like the old utorrent?

I use Vuze (ex-Azureus) no ads and has some nice features.

I tried it before utorrent. I didn't like it because it consumed too much system resources. It is a nice feature-rich program if you need to do more than just download files.

FWIW, there are old versions of uTorrent available on FileHippo.com.

Edit: The last time I used uTorrent I got a trojan. I probably got what I deserved, though. I was downloading a pirated movie. :diable:

Thanks for the link but I already clicked it into temporary submission. I'm just shopping around for a future alternative because how many times have we seen a nice program turn to poo after it gets monetized?

In my experience if you're gonna use Torrents, even legit ones, something like Malwarebytes running in the background as well as a quality virus scanner is a must.

I rarely use torrent sites but even some of the legit ones trigger both malwarebytes and avast as malicious sites. I googled the top 10 2013 torrent sites and 3 of the top 5 triggered both and I didn't even bother with Pirate Bay - that scum hole would probably have caused a malware and avast meltdown.

DCS is pretty much the only time I use utorrent too for the above stated reasons.

In my experience if you're gonna use Torrents, even legit ones, something like Malwarebytes running in the background as well as a quality virus scanner is a must.

I rarely use torrent sites but even some of the legit ones trigger both malwarebytes and avast as malicious sites. I googled the top 10 2013 torrent sites and 3 of the top 5 triggered both and I didn't even bother with Pirate Bay - that scum hole would probably have caused a malware and avast meltdown.

DCS is pretty much the only time I use utorrent too for the above stated reasons.

I should use Malwarebytes and Avast because they can be counted on to give me false results to protect me from myself? Seriously, I don't think running 2 AV programs provides twice the security. It probably will cause more problems than it will prevent.

Why all the hate for Pirate Bay (et all)? The main issue with torrents are legal questions, not computer security. I bet you that those 5 extra searchbars on your relative's browser didn't from a torrent site.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried it before utorrent. I didn't like it because it consumed too much system resources. It is a nice feature-rich program if you need to do more than just download files.

Thanks for the link but I already clicked it into temporary submission. I'm just shopping around for a future alternative because how many times have we seen a nice program turn to poo after it gets monetized?

Here's a handy link that might answer a lot of your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients