Release Date!

Skyshark

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been reading too much into my reply. It wasn't directed at you specifically. But similar questions have been brought up by others as well, here and in other discussion boards.

Ah, well your post followed quite closely to Gibsonm's post in which he quoted me and berated me for things I do not even feel I hinted at, thus I felt that your post was also directed at me. Though it may not have been directed at me 'specifically' that does hint that some of it was. Also, I do not know how I could read 'too much' into your reply. It was just the facts of what is going on, and what is to be expected as things rarely go as planned.

Ah, well your post followed quite closely to Gibsonm's post in which he quoted me and berated me for things I do not even feel I hinted at ...

Sorry it wasn’t meant to be purely directed to you, but at the broader group who make a post along the lines of “take your time” and then a few posts later ask for screenshots.

The following is not directed at you :)

I still see little point in videos / screenshots of the new features when Ssnake has said a few times now that somethings just aren’t ready.

Its like people who want a picture of their new home, even when the builder says its not ready yet, only to complain that the roof is missing or similar.

Similarly the request for an almost daily (hourly?) parade of screenshots (which don’t display incomplete things) seems to ignore the fact that the person making those screenshots would probably actually have to be taken off working on the project itself.

Given the choice of screenshots / video now, but project delayed vs getting the product sooner with less screenshots, I would have thought the later was the preferred choice?

Such are the challenges of expectation management.

Perhaps Snake should have “under promised“ (say said it would be ready on New Year’s Eve 2015 (31 DEC 14)) and “over delivered“ by releasing sometime prior to then?

Instead I think he has been caught by announcing in good faith a release date and of course now its not ready due to some last moment issues.

I’m sure we’ll get it as soon as they can sort those issues out - whatever they maybe.

Ah, my apologies. I love seeing work in progress, and can not recall ever complaining here or anywhere else. I've watched my engine being rebuilt (back in the day) still love to watch construction work. I guess some people will, and alas, they are the ones that spoil it for the rest of us I suppose. I've enjoyed all the screen shots, even the ones that were 'raw' footage. Again, my apologies on being the straw that broke the camel's back, that was not my intention.

I don't think anyone means to delay any progress whatsoever. Maybe it's been taken for granted how much effort goes into releasing screenshots. But for members to be asking for them despite the circumstances just goes to show how excited they are for 3.0. Aside from the guy who just bought the Harley, everyone else has their wallet out already. Whether eSim needs our money or not, I would hope that the excitement about 3.0 be celebrated and not rained on. :biggrin:

Well I’m pretty constrained by the NDA but I guess I can say that Ssnake, I, and a few others are working on a component for 3.0 and as Ssnake has limited time, he can either work on that or make screenshots.

Similarly, my unpaid time is more rationed and it certainly is a case of “either, or” not “and”. :)

So any screenshots I make draw time away from the other project.

I’m certainly not trying to rain on anyone’s parade though. :)

PLEASE let me know where I can buy a new Harley for the sort of money v3.0 is likely to be. :D

Maybe Wolfseven was also planning on building a new computer as well...built around the latest i7 cpu and GTX video card. I certainly know the cost of that could easily equal to a fair down payment!

Well, I do not wish to have you burdened with anything you feel unnecessary. The screen shots I thought might be a nice reprieve at times from the usual grind. Doesn't bother me if it increased the time, so long as it doesn't bother you to make the screen shots or give little updates. Some people do better when they focus on one thing, others need the occasional other thing to do. Or, times when you are able to focus, and times you are not. Either way, I am still grateful for the work you guys are doing.

• Members
I love seeing work in progress...

I would be less reluctant to show work in progress if I could be certain that screenshots don't go viral on the net, are being ripped out of their context and then be presented to make the product looks worse than it will actually be. These things can develop momentum faster than I can react to such a development and add the missing context back to a forum discussion.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but it simply is a matter of fact that there are a lot of supportive fans, a vast indifferent majority, and occasionally a few people who, out of a whole spectrum of different motives, act in a way that omits critical information, distort it even, or might even start an disinformation campaign. This is sad, and the fear of it should definitely not guide every single action that we take in our marketing campaign - but it is a factor to be considered as well.

There's a nice saying that "everything you say ought to be true, but not everything that is true ought to be said."

A picture that s work in progress probably falls into the second category. A screenshot that is representative of the final product probably falls into the first.

I would be less reluctant to show work in progress if I could be certain that screenshots don't go viral on the net, are being ripped out of their context and then be presented to make the product looks worse than it will actually be. These things can develop momentum faster than I can react to such a development and add the missing context back to a forum discussion.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but it simply is a matter of fact that there are a lot of supportive fans, a vast indifferent majority, and occasionally a few people who, out of a whole spectrum of different motives, act in a way that omits critical information, distort it even, or might even start an disinformation campaign. This is sad, and the fear of it should definitely not guide every single action that we take in our marketing campaign - but it is a factor to be considered as well.

There's a nice saying that "everything you say ought to be true, but not everything that is true ought to be said."

A picture that s work in progress probably falls into the second category. A screenshot that is representative of the final product probably falls into the first.

You could always watermark them with a "Work in Process not Final"

• 3 weeks later...

From the performance thread, an update that I guess should go here too:

We had an in-depth review of the situation yesterday. The new particle system turned out to be a lot more difficult to implement than expected, due to the ancient ways of the original implementation. So three weeks ago we decided - as a time-saving intermediate measure - to brush up the old (fixed) particle animations and to diversify them a bit, which however turned out to be more complicated (again) than expected ... due to the ancient ways of the original implementation.

I admit, this feels a bit like Groundhog Day.

Anyway, we'll fix up the last remaining bugs and what we can in the particle department in the remaining time. It is our firm intent not to spend another month with this.