Virtual units?

MDF

I'm looking to join a virtual unit. Ideally, one that favors realistic doctrine and missions, authentic radio procedure, etc. And US east-coast time-friendly, i.e., I'm available during weekday evenings from ~6PM-12AM EST/EDT (GMT 11PM-5AM), and 9AM-12AM EST/EDT (GMT 2PM-5AM).

Perusing prior forum topics, it seems like the US-based VUs are defunct now. Am I correct? GaryOwen's VU seemed to be just the thing I was looking for, but that appears to be dormant as well. I'd give UK Armour a try, but I suspect the time difference will be prohibitive. Likewise Marko's Soviet VU.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to join a virtual unit. Ideally, one that favors realistic doctrine and missions, authentic radio procedure, etc. And US east-coast time-friendly, i.e., I'm available during weekday evenings from ~6PM-12AM EST/EDT (GMT 11PM-5AM), and 9AM-12AM EST/EDT (GMT 2PM-5AM).

Perusing prior forum topics, it seems like the US-based VUs are defunct now. Am I correct? GaryOwen's VU seemed to be just the thing I was looking for, but that appears to be dormant as well. I'd give UK Armour a try, but I suspect the time difference will be prohibitive. Likewise Marko's Soviet VU.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi MDF.

Your more then welcome to join us in SVU/UK Armour.

Tankhunter, could use the support.LoL

There's also another VU called 3rd Armour they meet around the same time as us.

I am pretty sure they use US equipment.

Edited by Marko

Perusing prior forum topics, it seems like the US-based VUs are defunct now. Am I correct?

A comment and a question - that hopefully fall just short of a hijack.

In view of the perpetual clamour for updated/upgraded US equimpment you would think there would be loads of US VUs. But - as you say - this doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone know why?

Well apart from being miffed at being excluded from your short list :) I presume we (BG ANZAC) are excluded due to time differentials too (0900 GMT in Thursdays)?

Another "US friendly" option might be the Canadian 1CAD?

My sincere apologies. I should have given a nod to BG ANZAC, but, as you surmised, the time difference is problematic. UK Armour and 1st SGB are the only non-Americas based ones with a chance of being time- and language-suitable. That's why I mentioned them.

There are a couple of guys from NY who play with UK armour and Soviet VU. I think its not in your time listings though. I think its around 3pm for them.

Is that 3PM UK time (10AM my time)? And is that during the week, or on the weekend? If the latter, it would work for me.

For some reason, in perusing dozens of old VU threads in the forum, I thought I saw discussion that both UK Armour and Marko's VU both had their regular practices on Monday evenings (European times). I think Marko's VU began it's practice at 5PM my time - which is just a shade early for me, as I am still at work.

Is that 3PM UK time (10AM my time)? And is that during the week, or on the weekend? If the latter, it would work for me.

For some reason, in perusing dozens of old VU threads in the forum, I thought I saw discussion that both UK Armour and Marko's VU both had their regular practices on Monday evenings (European times). I think Marko's VU began it's practice at 5PM my time - which is just a shade early for me, as I am still at work.

Hi MDF,

UKA meet at 8pm BST on Sunday evenings for a game night and 8pm BST

on a Wednesday for a training evening, Soviet VU meet on a Monday evening at 8pm BST,

you'll be welcome to come along to any of them to see if you like the look

of us :)

Hi MDF.

Your more then welcome to join us in SVU/UK Armour.

Tankhunter, could use the support.LoL

There's also another VU called 3rd Armour they meet around the same time as us.

I am pretty sure they use US equipment.

At what time does SVU have its regular sessions? What about UKA?

As for 3AD, I wasn't sure exactly what they did. They weren't listed on the Virtual Units page of this website, and in going through the prior threads, I didn't see any discussion of 3AD as a virtual unit, in the sense of having regular practices, matches with/against other VUs, etc. I assumed they were more of a loose association of guys who get together to play SB. Not that there's anything wrong with that! What I was hoping for was more of a structured experience (including training sessions, and the like). But if they play SB online with any regularity, I'd be happy to join in, if they'd allow (and, actually, just prior to last week's TGIF, I did join in their brief warm-up session).

Hi MDF.

We are meeting tonight at 20:00 BST. on team speak

In view of the perpetual clamour for updated/upgraded US equimpment you would think there would be loads of US VUs. But - as you say - this doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone know why?

I'm surprised at this too. It seems a few years back, there were several active US VUs - 2nd Dragoons, 1-37 Armor, 29th Armor, 1st Volunteer US Cav, etc. - but they apparently have faded away.

I'm tempted to form a new VU. I've been toying with the idea of a VU based on the US armored cavalry troop TO&E from the early 90's: 9 x M1, 13 x M3, 2 x 120mm SP mortar. Maybe set up training missions around the doctrine set forth in "FM 17-97 Cavalry Troop." But feel slightly silly doing so as I have no military experience.

Hell, all I really want is a few human teammates to crew the other vehicles in my platoon or command the other platoons in the company. I get very frustrated when a mission goes to hell because I have to spend excessive time babysitting the AI.

Hi MDF,

UKA meet at 8pm BST on Sunday evenings for a game night and 8pm BST

on a Wednesday for a training evening, Soviet VU meet on a Monday evening at 8pm BST,

you'll be welcome to come along to any of them to see if you like the look

of us :)

The game night I can do -- 9PM BST (British Summer Time? GMT+1?) works out to 4 PM US EST (GMT-4) Sunday afternoon. But your training nights occur at my 3PM, when I am still at work.:( Is it permissible to show up only for game nights? Some might prefer that, but I am actually looking forward to the training as well.

I'm surprised at this too. It seems a few years back, there were several active US VUs - 2nd Dragoons, 1-37 Armor, 29th Armor, 1st Volunteer US Cav, etc. - but they apparently have faded away.

I'm tempted to form a new VU. I've been toying with the idea of a VU based on the US armored cavalry troop TO&E from the early 90's: 9 x M1, 13 x M3, 2 x 120mm SP mortar. Maybe set up training missions around the doctrine set forth in "FM 17-97 Cavalry Troop." But feel slightly silly doing so as I have no military experience.

QUOTE]

Hi MDF.

If you cant make SVU/UK Armour.

Then i think its worth giving it a try, setting up your own VU.

When I set up Soviet VU, It was a spin off from UK Armour which Tjay set up.

There are a lot of very helpful souls on this forum who will help you set up.

you would need at least six human players (minimum) to run a unit of the size you stated Above. I reckon you would need 2 on tanks.

And 3 for the IFV's and a C/O.

There are plenty of missions in the download section.

Designed by military trained Guys, so there pretty accurate in terms of force ratio.

And the Briefs are very well written. You may need to check the Wiki to decipher

Some of the Acronyms, military guys love there Acronyms .LoL

Also I am pretty sure we will see an influx of new players when the update arrives.

Like your self looking to be part of a VU.

If you cant make SVU/UK Armour.

Then i think its worth giving it a try, setting up your own VU.

When I set up Soviet VU, It was a spin off from UK Armour which Tjay set up.

There are a lot of very helpful souls on this forum who will help you set up.

you would need at least six human players (minimum) to run a unit of the size you stated Above. I reckon you would need 2 on tanks.

And 3 for the IFV's and a C/O.

There are plenty of missions in the download section.

Designed by military trained Guys, so there pretty accurate in terms of force ratio.

And the Briefs are very well written. You may need to check the Wiki to decipher

Some of the Acronyms, military guys love there Acronyms .LoL

Also I am pretty sure we will see an influx of new players when the update arrives.

Like your self looking to be part of a VU.

Well, I may have to go forward as you suggest and create a new VU. As I noted, I feel somewhat sheepish doing so as I am not ex-military and, furthermore, am not an overly experienced SB player yet. (I can handle a single vehicle reasonably well, but have trouble scaling up from there.) The milspeak doesn't throw me too much. I've been reading US manuals and journals for years now, and Lord knows how we USians love our acronyms.

I suppose you are correct about the number of humans necessary to run an entire A/C troop. For starters, I may just look for players to participate in platoon-level missions. Or even just one to command the other section in a platoon!

Maybe I should first see what 3AD and 1CAD have on offer, to see if that scratches my particular itch.

You did read this part of my original post??

They are North or the border but play at US centric times (I think 2100 IIRC).

I actually did overlook that at first, but caught it in my re-read of the thread. I will look into 1CAD. Thanks.

Well, I may have to go forward as you suggest and create a new VU. As I noted, I feel somewhat sheepish doing so as I am not ex-military and, furthermore, am not an overly experienced SB player yet. (I can handle a single vehicle reasonably well, but have trouble scaling up from there.) The milspeak doesn't throw me too much. I've been reading US manuals and journals for years now, and Lord knows how we USians love our acronyms.

I suppose you are correct about the number of humans necessary to run an entire A/C troop. For starters, I may just look for players to participate in platoon-level missions. Or even just one to command the other section in a platoon!

Maybe I should first see what 3AD and 1CAD have on offer, to see if that scratches my particular itch.

If 3AD and 1CAD don't float your boat, I strongly recommend that you go ahead and form your own VU. I did this when I had been playing SB for just two weeks as - much to my surprise - there was no UK-based VU at that time. Support from this forum has been universally positive and helpful (thanks again, everyone) with the exception of one serving officer (no names, no packdrill) who made it clear he thought I was impertinent designating myself C.O of a VU with such limited experience.

As the saying goes: 'Build it and they will come'. :)

The game night I can do -- 9PM BST (British Summer Time? GMT+1?) works out to 4 PM US EST (GMT-4) Sunday afternoon. But your training nights occur at my 3PM, when I am still at work.:( Is it permissible to show up only for game nights? Some might prefer that, but I am actually looking forward to the training as well.

Yes, no problem. Even our 'game nights' are fairly training orientated as all experience is valuable. We would be happy to give you a single tank in a platoon commanded by one of our more experience players. And with a TS whisper list set up he could talk to you off the command net during the game.

For the very first session it may be best to take a supply truck simply to get into the game. Then you could jump around the observer positions of all the other players (plus the map) to see what's going on.

We make a point of conducting a proper briefing before the start of each mission (complete with onscreen graphics) and carefully analysing the AAR at the end of it - which is where many lessons are learned.

Look forward to seeing you.

• Members
...with the exception of one serving officer (no names, no packdrill) who made it clear he thought I was impertinent designating myself C.O of a VU with such limited experience.

The perk of being a first mover, and seizing the opportunity. ;)

Yes, no problem. Even our 'game nights' are fairly training orientated as

We make a point of conducting a proper briefing before the start of each mission (complete with onscreen graphics) and carefully analysing the AAR at the end of it - which is where many lessons are learned.

I have commented on this topic before.

Joining a VU, or starting one, has a lot of benefits for players of all levels of experience.

One of the members of soviet VU commented after last nights meeting, he had learned

More since he joined a VU then he could have possibly have learned by him self just reading

Manuals and books on armoured warfare. I would also agree with that statement.

I have learned more in the last year being a member of SVU/UK Armour.

Even though I have owned SB for many years. I very rarely completed a mission in single player

Unless I had a massive advantage. Its not always easy to be in a VU you have to accept there is A chain of command (normally)and you mite not agree with the instruction's handed down to you.

Or even play a mission and not fire a shot. but the flip side is when it works and you achieve Cohesion its a pretty good feeling when you complete a mission with minimal friendly causalities.

And then there is the whole social aspect, its nice to chat to fellow tank nuts.LoL

Edited by Marko

Yes, no problem. Even our 'game nights' are fairly training orientated as all experience is valuable. We would be happy to give you a single tank in a platoon commanded by one of our more experience players. And with a TS whisper list set up he could talk to you off the command net during the game.

For the very first session it may be best to take a supply truck simply to get into the game. Then you could jump around the observer positions of all the other players (plus the map) to see what's going on.

OK, well I will be there this coming Sunday. Is it safe to say I should learn to operate the CR2? Any others with which I should familiarize myself? Should I register on the UKA website?