Virtual units?

MDF

I have commented on this topic before.

Joining a VU, or starting one, has a lot of benefits for players of all levels of experience.

One of the members of soviet VU commented after last nights meeting, he had learned

More since he joined a VU then he could have possibly have learned by him self just reading

Manuals and books on armoured warfare. I would also agree with that statement.

I have learned more in the last year being a member of SVU/UK Armour.

Even though I have owned SB for many years. I very rarely completed a mission in single player

Unless I had a massive advantage.

I suspect this will be the same for me. Often, I read doctrine on paper and then, when I try to envision applying it to a practical situation on real terrain, I find myself struggling.

Its not always easy to be in a VU you have to accept there is A chain of command (normally)and you mite not agree with the instruction's handed down to you.

Or even play a mission and not fire a shot. but the flip side is when it works and you achieve Cohesion its a pretty good feeling when you complete a mission with minimal causalities.

And then there is the whole social aspect, its nice to chat to fellow tank nuts.LoL

I don't mind the strictures at all. I participated in last Friday's TGIF (my first SB MP session), and my M1A1 section had just one kill (a mere BMP). I think my most significant contribution to victory was getting my section across two bridges without any flooding "accidents.":) Still, it was an enjoyable experience.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, well I will be there this coming Sunday. Is it safe to say I should learn to operate the CR2? Any others with which I should familiarize myself? Should I register on the UKA website?

The CR2. I would say yes.

Are other vehicles are the pizarro ifv. and the NZLAV

When the upcoming update arrives, we will be moving to the warrior and scimitar.

OK, well I will be there this coming Sunday. Is it safe to say I should learn to operate the CR2? Any others with which I should familiarize myself? Should I register on the UKA website?

I suggest you hold off on registering on the UKA website until you have met us. Let's just say our sense of humour is somewhat politically incorrect. In fact, Dark Angel's other job (he is our Training Officer) is Political Incorrectness Officer. We have had a few delicate souls turn up for one session and high tail it for the hills, never to be seen again. :diable:

If you would care for a one-on-one familiarisation session in theCR2 I'd be happy to oblige on Thursday or Friday evening at a time convenient to you. We'd probably get a couple of others dropping in to say hello too.

I suggest you hold off on registering on the UKA website until you have met us. Let's just say our sense of humour is somewhat politically incorrect. In fact, Dark Angel's other job (he is our Training Officer) is Political Incorrectness Officer. We have had a few delicate souls turn up for one session and high tail it for the hills, never to be seen again. :diable:

If you would care for a one-on-one familiarisation session in theCR2 I'd be happy to oblige on Thursday or Friday evening at a time convenient to you. We'd probably get a couple of others dropping in to say hello too.

Well, I'm not terribly sensitive, so do your worst.:)

The familiariz -- oops, familiariSation -- session sounds like a good idea. Thursday is the Independence Day holiday here. Can't think of a better occasion to introduce myself to UKA.:biggrin: I'll be around most of the day. Is there a particular time that works for you? Perhaps around noon my time, 5PM your time? In the meantime, I'll hit the CR2 tutorials.

Well, I'm not terribly sensitive, so do your worst.:)

The familiariz -- oops, familiariSation -- session sounds like a good idea. Thursday is the Independence Day holiday here. Can't think of a better occasion to introduce myself to UKA.:biggrin: I'll be around most of the day. Is there a particular time that works for you? Perhaps around noon my time, 5PM your time? In the meantime, I'll hit the CR2 tutorials.

The banter tends to be general observations of a humorous nature.

We are very easy on newbies you will not be put under any pressure.

You should have seen the mistakes i made when starting out in SB and still am making. If it was the real military i would be doing thirty Years hard time. LoL If you do join us you will find us helpful and we have a policy

Of if you don't know ask. Theirs no such thing as a dumb question.

MDF i grew up in NY,im still in the area.if u start a VU let me know.im getting a new rig for SB,hopefully soon so i can play online,i ve played online alot in SB1 but not since cause of comp.id be more than willing to help out if i can.

You are welcome to Join the 3rd Armored Division. We do all sorts of Sb missions with US based vehicles. Most of us also join everyone on the Friday night battles. We are online almost everyday of the week to play. Myself I'm normally online after 1700 hours central time during the weekdays. I got to say after the release of 3.0, I will be conducting crew training on the M1A2 SEP and several platoon mission that will require a gunner and commander. We will also do maneuver training and much more. I hope to see you soon and If you decide to join another VU, you would be welcome to come and play anytime with us. That goes for anyone who would like to. Assassin7

The banter tends to be general observations of a humorous nature.

We are very easy on newbies you will not be put under any pressure.

You should have seen the mistakes i made when starting out in SB and still am making. If it was the real military i would be doing thirty Years hard time. LoL If you do join us you will find us helpful and we have a policy

Of if you don't know ask. Theirs no such thing as a dumb question.

I don't want to undersell myself too much. I do have a significant amount of "cupola" time under my belt after the last two months. I've beaten the classic "Tanks" scenario a few times in the M1A1 and LeoA4 now, and on a good day can rack up 30+ kills in both in the Instant Action missions. Some of the higher-order formation maneuvering and multi-tasking is still a challenge, though, as is the task of managing the AI.

Well (I guess this is directed to Tjay), let me know what time works for a familiarisation session. My schedule is generally flexible. [TRANSLATION: has no life].

[EDIT]

BTW, I tried out the CR2 in the Instant Action mission this evening. (Remembered belatedly that there are no tutorials). TOGS is ... erm ... different. But the smooth tracking in the daysight gets two thumbs up. For some reason, the loader kept loading smoke instead of HESH. I hope that bug does not carry over into other missions. (That said, I did manage to kill a T-80U with a single smoke shell..)

Edited by MDF
Hit "Post" without thinking

You are welcome to Join the 3rd Armored Division. We do all sorts of Sb missions with US based vehicles. Most of us also join everyone on the Friday night battles. We are online almost everyday of the week to play. Myself I'm normally online after 1700 hours central time during the weekdays. I got to say after the release of 3.0, I will be conducting crew training on the M1A2 SEP and several platoon mission that will require a gunner and commander. We will also do maneuver training and much more. I hope to see you soon and If you decide to join another VU, you would be welcome to come and play anytime with us. That goes for anyone who would like to. Assassin7

Well, I'm starting to feel like the most popular girl at the dance now. (Nobody get excited; that's just a figure of speech. I'm male.) I've gotten invites from 1st CAD, UKA, SVU, and now 3AD.

I'd definitely like to give 3AD a shot. Are you guys going to be online tomorrow? If you guys are getting together at 1700 Central time (or later) I can be there.

MDF i grew up in NY,im still in the area.if u start a VU let me know.im getting a new rig for SB,hopefully soon so i can play online,i ve played online alot in SB1 but not since cause of comp.id be more than willing to help out if i can.

Well, I'm trying to avoid having to start my own VU, LOL. I like the idea of a VU tightly modeled on the armored cavalry troop because of its combined-arms nature and the esprit and cachet of cavalry. But I hesitate to start a VU of my own because I'm an amateur. Let's see how things go when I test the waters with the other VUs.

Where in the NY area do you live? I'm in northern Westchester County.

Well, I'm starting to feel like the most popular girl at the dance now. (Nobody get excited; that's just a figure of speech. I'm male.) I've gotten invites from 1st CAD, UKA, SVU, and now 3AD.

I'd definitely like to give 3AD a shot. Are you guys going to be online tomorrow? If you guys are getting together at 1700 Central time (or later) I can be there.

Yes I will be and there should be some others online. I will be on after 1800 hours central time tomorrow. Assassin7

The Smoke Round is a sort of known bug with the CR2, in most user created scenarios UKArmour remove the ready smoke rounds to prevent this happening, or you can hop into the commanders station and manually select which ammo you want loaded (or reloaded)

Well (I guess this is directed to Tjay), let me know what time works for a familiarisation session. My schedule is generally flexible. [TRANSLATION: has no life].

Looks like you are getting a good response from VUs on your side of the pond, so I suggest you run with them for the moment. If you decide you need some CR2 famil or eventually decide to join UKA as well, send me a PM. And you are welcome to join us on TS at our normal Sunday/Monday/Wednesday times - even if just to say hello.:)

Looks like you are getting a good response from VUs on your side of the pond, so I suggest you run with them for the moment. If you decide you need some CR2 famil or eventually decide to join UKA as well, send me a PM. And you are welcome to join us on TS at our normal Sunday/Monday/Wednesday times - even if just to say hello.:)

OK, I may pop in to your Sunday session, if that's alright.

MDF make sure you run through the "Port forwarding guide" at the top of this channel before you join a game.

SB is a little archaic in the way it connects to ip's so ensuring your router has the right ports and such open is a must. If you have problems there are always people who can help but try and sort it out yourself first as it can be a bit of a long winded process if someone else is trying to talk you through it before a game.

MDF make sure you run through the "Port forwarding guide" at the top of this channel before you join a game.

SB is a little archaic in the way it connects to ip's so ensuring your router has the right ports and such open is a must. If you have problems there are always people who can help but try and sort it out yourself first as it can be a bit of a long winded process if someone else is trying to talk you through it before a game.

Already slayed that dragon! Have successfully connected to TGIF and 3rd AD sessions.