V 3.0 performance discussion

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
I have a GTX 560 TI graphics card and an i5-2500k CPU . Am i reading it right, I will be able to get a decent framerate up to level 2 ? :confused:

The test results in our benchmark yielded an average of just above 30 frames per second, with a low of just above 25 fps.

Once again, I have to say that most of our beta testers were apparently happy with even lower frame rates. My ratings above are apparently rather conservative.

• Members
about how much do the top tier video card at number 1 cost?i googd it and it said 730.00 us dollars.this cant be right,

Well, we spared no expenses to test also with the latest and greatest that the PC hardware world currently has to offer. Such a PC would however be in the $1500+ region (this specific system cost a lot more due to other factors that do not influence the overall performance with Steel Beasts).

Good graphics cards are expensive but AFAIK there is no advantage in having an Intel i7 compared with a much cheaper i5 CPU as very few games - including SB - are unable to take advantage of the i7's hyperthreading. So a few dollars could be saved there.

www.tomshardware.com has excellent guidance on gaming CPUs and grahpics cards.

• Members
Running at full detail what kind of frame rate would an I7 2600 with GTX670 achieve roughly.

I think it will be about one notch down from the GTX 780. In some combinations it might fall into the same category. In any case, I see no reason to worry. By my estimate the worst possible result is that you'd have to run everything at shadow map level 4, which is visually almost indistinguishable from level 5.

I have a funny feeling I am going to have to fork out for a new machine.

I have a i7 laptop with 7 gig of ram. And one 1 gig for the graphics card,

Its a GeForce GT 330m. would this card be able to run 3.0 even on a medium setting

I don't mind turning shadows off.

I think it will, but there's only one way to find out. ;)

Thanks for the speedy reply.

It will be a hard sell to the wife, If I have to get a new machine.

Any tech heads out there that could give advice how to get the best results from my machine/ graphic's card

It would be appreciated.

I think it will be about one notch down from the GTX 780. In some combinations it might fall into the same category. In any case, I see no reason to worry. By my estimate the worst possible result is that you'd have to run everything at shadow map level 4, which is visually almost indistinguishable from level 5.

Sounds very good, thanks for the speedy response.. roll on release date :)

cheers Snake

Wow, this is as harsh as when Doom 3 came out. I hope that everyone that asked for shadows are still excited about them. :)

i7 920 @ 2.67 / HD 4850 with 512GB / 6 GB ram (I hope I can run tier 1)

Looks like I'll need to get political with my wife in order to get an upgrade. Anything above a 650ti is out of my price range.

I'm interested to see how my system handles things, as it's getting a bit old:

The CPU's a Core i7-860 running at 155 MHz, meaning 4 to 3.4 GHz, depending how how many cores are busy. Video card is a GTX 260 Core 216, which I suspect may be a bottleneck which will need to be upgraded.

It's not just the shadows, they've added shaders for bump and specular maps, plus the new sky and clouds, plus anything else we haven't been told about or noticed. It looks to me like at least some buildings have bump maps, and maybe some ground textures too, assuming the shading on the concrete here isn't just part of the texture:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18745&g2_serialNumber=2

Ouch! But in a good way :)

I was hoping for another year or so before having to "reinvigorate" my 2 year or so old PC, i7 965 @3.2GHz 12GB RAM, GTX580.

Now will there be any advantage in turning shadows off in multiplayer sessions? Is it going to unbalance the difficulty between one with shadows and one without?

I will wait and see how my laptop does with it's Intel i7 integrated graphics, but I don't hold out any hope beyond setting 0 for it :)

Phenom II 960 and 7970 3Gb here

Right now i have good FPS all the time except in some scenarios with big number of objects where from time to time fps drop is visible.

I was hoping to be able to run 3.0 on max settings but apparently even SLI will not help me :D

Time to upgrade CPu or maybe even to swap AMD for some Intel.. :biggrin: