V 3.0 performance discussion

Because of the convoluted old implementation, we just HAVE to untangle the mess eventually. Therefore "not now" does not mean "never". It just means "not now".

At the same time the old particle effects are really worn out, and it would look weird to have shadows and normal maps and shiny specular highlights and all this ... and yet the same old smoke and fire that you saw in the last three to seven years.

There are limits to what can be done with the particles within the constraints of the old implementation, and there are certain complications even with the simplicity of the old system ... ach, it's no fun writing about it. I'm just saying, the waiting period is coming to an end. We're frustrated that we can't get the new engine to look as pretty as we thought we could make it, that there will be this obvious discrepancy in quality now - but a decision had to be made, and the alternative of waiting maybe another three months JUST for the particles was not really attractive either. Don't forget, it's not just about delayed earnings with SB Pro PE for us, it's also about the workplan for other projects for which we have contractual obligations. We have used up the time for the PE development including a generous safety margin (and a major shuffle within the work plan).

There will definitely be a visual improvement with some of the fire/smoke effects, make there no mistake! It's just not going to be more than 10% of what we had originally planned to implement.

From my point of view, We are still getting good value for money because of the sheer Amount of new vehicles. Of course the particle effects would have been a great addition

But when your being shot at in a T-72 by a superior tank you are not worried about effects shadows or any thing else, I am usually to busy ducking for cover.LoL

Looking forward to release.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But when your being shot at in a T-72 by a superior tank you are not worried about effects shadows or any thing else, I am usually to busy ducking for cover.

Yhea I know that feeling. Feels kinda like....

"S***! S***! Who the f*** is shooting us!? Oh well, fire smoke grenades!"

At the same time the old particle effects are really worn out, and it would look weird to have shadows and normal maps and shiny specular highlights and all this ... and yet the same old smoke and fire that you saw in the last three to seven years..

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one not much bothered about whether my enemies die in a really pretty explosion or just something that is quite clearly an explosion but not exactly true to real life. But we are clearly an elite minority who have their priorities properly sorted.

My CPU itself should be just fine. I mean, eight cores running at 3.1Ghz isn't exactly top of the line, but it was the biggest one I could afford at the time and I had NO working computers at that time. The onboard audio on my old PC went out, and I took that as a sign to upgrade. I went shopping for a new box with a limited budget.

My video card is probably crap, and I'm not shocked. I went with pretty much the cheapest one they had, just so that I could have something a little bit better than the onboard...Er, actually I don't think I have an onboard video...I have nothing invested in it so I'm not hesitant to replace it. I think I honestly paid $15 for it.

Yeah don't know why I included the CPU my fingers sometime just type stuff.

If your MB doesn't have a video connection out then you probably don't have on board, if it does you may want to check it out. But like I said some of the newer CPU/GPUs are getting much better, Its not like the old days where anything on board sucked and the on board graphics are to the point where you can run new high titles fairly well at medium level graphic options. I'd dare say they are much better than a $15.00 card. Buying a graphics card these days can be mind numbing and requires lots of reading but there are some really nice cards that can be had for about $100.00 that should run SB at the higher levels.

Good luck!

I remember the discussions on the old SB site- people generally said the same thing, graphics weren't a priority, but there still was a growing voice for change as time went on.

I have a 600.00 video card Graphics are always important! :-)

I have to justify my money wasting somehow. ;-)

me:

"see honey, that smoke looks sooo real"

My Ex:

"You're sleeping on the couch tonight h o n e y "

As long as the smoke is displayed on the screen and not coming from the back of the machine itself.

These things are power beast and if the fan dies there will diffidently be some smoke. Much like the smoke coming out the wife's ears when she found out how much I spent.

These things are power beast and if the fan dies there will diffidently be some smoke. Much like the smoke coming out the wife's ears when she found out how much I spent.

Never seen smoke emerging diffidently from anything. Only with enormous enthusiasm and confidence. :debile2:

As long as the smoke is displayed on the screen and not coming from the back of the machine itself.

Yes the Smoke coming out of the back is definatly of the "Magic" Variety.

You need to keep this "Magic" smoke inside the machine at all times, as this is what the machine runs on, not this fancy "Electricity", but definitely "Magic" smoke . :)