'murica day

Hedgehog

Happy 'murica day!

T'was this day in 1776, we British handed you the keys to your own government.

You've done good so far.

(With ups and downs as with any government.)

:biggrin:

(We just get a pithy St. Georges Day, not even a bank holiday :( )

Edited by Hedgehog

Thanks guys for the sentiment, I had a friend way back in college from Kent who I invited to our family 4th of July celebrations. Where else can you celebrate the nation by blowing up a small part of it with fireworks?

He always told me they knew it was all over when they saw us dumping their tea in the harbor. :biggrin:

... Then he'd get a sparkler, a big grilled hamburger, and percolated coffee :debile2:

Thx,where r u from HH?

The land of your former colonial overseers.

Thanks guys for the sentiment, I had a friend way back in college from Kent who I invited to our family 4th of July celebrations. Where else can you celebrate the nation by blowing up a small part of it with fireworks?

He always told me they knew it was all over when they saw us dumping their tea in the harbo(u)r :biggrin:

. Then he'd get a sparkler, a big grilled hamburger, and percolated coffee :debile2:

Wasn't Crusty was it? :)

(Please note the corrected spelling of harbour ;) (Sorry) )

Wasn't Crusty was it? :)

(Please note the corrected spelling of harbour ;) (Sorry) )

No it wasn't me, buy I'd be happy to accept any invitation to come over and help you celebrate with a Steak and some good Beer :biggrin:

unfortunatly I'd need the flights paid for as well, but it's the thought that counts, so I'll just raise a glass to you all tonight and wish you all

Happy independence day :drink:

ahhhh,ok.i always thought u were from the land of the Vikings for some reason.

No, I'm from South England, apparently I sound like I come from London according to a Brummie girl I met. :S

I believe that Katie's ancestor Vikings paid us a visit back in the day.

When longboats were all the rage and the Naval vessel to be seen in. :)

You know before every football game in the U.S. we have a coin toss. The captains from each team meet in the center of the field and the referee introduces them to each other.

"Captain Sobers, this is Captain Havard. Captain Sobers you call the toss.... Captain Sobers Calls heads... it's tails. You loose the toss Captain Sobers. Captain Harvard, what will you do?"

"We will kickoff", says Captain Harvard.

"What end will you defend, Captain Sobers?", asks the ref.

"We will defend the south end.", Captain Sobers.

"Alright, Captain Harvard's team will kick off and Captain Sobers team will defend the south endzone.", says the ref.

Now, I was thinking what if we had a coin toss before every war....

"Captain Sobers of the British, this is Captain Harvard of the settlers.", says the ref.

"Captain Sobers calls heads... it's tails. You loose the toss, British. Captain Harvard what will your team do?" asks the ref.

(pause)

"Uh-huh, okay. Captain Harvard says that during the war the settlers will wear any color clothes that they want to, and can shoot from behind the rocks and trees, everywhere... and he says that the British must wear red and march in a straight line."

(with apologies to comedian Bill Cosby):biggrin:

Thank you Hedge, Tjay, Crusty, and others for wishing us well on our Independence Day. I am reminded of a true story from long ago of some Americans that had a visitor from England at their Thanksgiving Holiday meal. The American's young son asked the Englishman "When do you celebrate Thanksgiving" and the reply was "On the fourth of July".

Connaugh

Happy 'murica day!

T'was this day in 1776, we British handed you the keys to your own government.

You've done good so far.

(With ups and downs as with any government.)

:biggrin:

(We just get a pithy St. Georges Day, not even a bank holiday :( )

'Twas on this day we reached for the keys. Took you a few years to relinquish them. :biggrin:

The sentiment is appreciated nevertheless. Thank you.

:thelmuts:

No, I'm from South England, apparently I sound like I come from London according to a Brummie girl I met. :S

I believe that Katie's ancestor Vikings paid us a visit back in the day.

When longboats were all the rage and the Naval vessel to be seen in. :)

Katie's ancestors was in the Baltic, Finland and I think Russia, plundering, killing and being generally uncivilized. :diable:

We, the real Vikings on the other hand, were more civilized, giving you Danelaw and everything, whilst taking your women and doing the more occasional plundering and killing.

Happy 4th of July by the way! :biggrin: