Prices, Licenses

Ssnake

• Members

Okay, here's the deal.

The upgrade for version 3.0 will be on sale for $40.-; the upgrade may be applied to any previous Steel Beasts Pro PE license on a CodeMeter stick.

The base price of version 3.0 will therefore be $115.-

In addition to these CodeMeter stick based licenses we will also offer time-limited licenses WITHOUT the need for a CM stick. They will be bound to the computer on which they are installed, and we will not support a transfer of the license to another computer.

We'll offer

• a one-month license for $10.-
  • a four-month license for $25.-
  • a one year license for $40.-

The advantage of these licenses lies in the fact that there is no steep price for those who just want to give it a try, and that you can't lose our CodeMeter stick - something that has been a bit of trouble for some of you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here's the deal.

The upgrade for version 3.0 will be on sale for $40.-; the upgrade may be applied to any previous Steel Beasts Pro PE license on a CodeMeter stick.

The base price of version 3.0 will therefore be $115.-

In addition to these CodeMeter stick based licenses we will also offer time-limited licenses WITHOUT the need for a CM stick. They will be bound to the computer on which they are installed, and we will not support a transfer of the license to another computer.

We'll offer

The advantage of these licenses lies in the fact that there is no steep price for those who just want to give it a try, and that you can't lose our CodeMeter stick - something that has been a bit of trouble for some of you.

Well worth the price.

I also think the time licence Idea is going to be very successful.

1 month-licenses are a convenient solution for those who want to take a first taste before deciding whether they invest more money. Very good idea.

Price for dongle update I consider to be more than fair, when seeing the long content list.

Fair policies, eSim! Bit I hope the non-dongle license idea does not get wrecked through hacking. That would do damage to the very basis of the business model. I personally would have stayed with the dongle exclusively. But then again, people tell me they consider me to be paranoid...

• Administrators

I believe that in the case of big hardware changes, and certainly with a reformat, it would be gone. I would not choose this option if you are in love with reformatting every month and swapping hardware on a regular basis.

Subscription based licensing is very nice and welcomed option, but...

If user reinstalls OS or replaces some critical hardware inside his rig- does he retains temporary license or loses it?

• Members

I THINK it is possible to unbind a license if you must reformat your Windows version. Major hardware changes however will not be supported. If you can foresee a major replacement, you can at least tailor the duration of the license that you buy to the expected change, then simply acquire a new one once that you are done with the change.

It would definitely be a hassle, I'm honest enough to admit that. The good news is, that the traditional stick based license is going to stay, and if you already have a stick, it's somewhat moot discussion anyway. ;)

Unplug, blow you old machine to pieces, plug it into the new machine - no problem there.

I THINK it is possible to unbind a license if you must reformat your Windows version. Major hardware changes however will not be supported. If you can foresee a major replacement, you can at least tailor the duration of the license that you buy to the expected change, then simply acquire a new one once that you are done with the change.

It would definitely be a hassle, I'm honest enough to admit that. The good news is, that the traditional stick based license is going to stay, and if you already have a stick, it's somewhat moot discussion anyway. ;)

Unplug, blow you old machine to pieces, plug it into the new machine - no problem there.

Being stalker i am here.

I started before you annonce those prices to think the full license of 3.0 would cost 150 $ but it turns to be 115 $ :shocked:

This is awesome, i could pimp this simular with a updated to 3.0 printed manual and i love the feeling of paper, the ability to not have the lag when scrolling pages real fast.

I hope this simulator will satisfait my needs in a hardcore simulator. :)

So there's no additional purchase required with the time-limited licenses, I can just buy one month of the full game for $10 and go nuts? That'd be amazing. Can you buy several of these licenses or is it a one-time deal?

Okay, here's the deal.

So presumably US$?

Is that linear so:

Base license $40

Secondary licences: $40

So for me: 1 x 40 + 7 x 40 = $320.00?

We'll offer

So with the $10 a single month intro license are we looking at retiring the current loan license idea?

I must say giving the customer the burden (a small financial one) and lifting the time and hassle burden from us is very tempting!?

So there's no additional purchase required with the time-limited licenses, I can just buy one month of the full game for $10 and go nuts? That'd be amazing. Can you buy several of these licenses or is it a one-time deal?

Well its twice the duration of the current "free" (to you anyway) demo license idea.

• Members

I always saw your and Sean's service as a temporary remedy, and a service to the community (and to eSim Games - thank you for that!).

But it also was a symptom of a demand, and I do not want to perpetuate your voluntary service here. Of course, if you want you may still continue doing what you do. But like you wrote, the demo program may have been "free", but only at the expense of dealing with a hassle for both you and the prospective customer. The new deal is no longer "free", but $10.- will eliminate your hassle and also be easier for the customer.

As far as secondary license UPGRADES are concerned, I haven't made a final decision yet, although I tend to discontinue it. Charging $5.- manually for each extra license cannot cover the expense in time and licensensing fees that I have to expend to make it work. IF I do it, I won't do it until well after the 3.0 release because I won't have the time for it.

I also think that most people don't need a large number of permanent licenses if they only play occasionally with their friends. It might still be acceptable to purchase a license "on demand", and your buddy could even "take home" the license if he brings over his own notebook for that LAN party. But if you already have a CodeMeter stick, buying additional upgrade licenses will still give you unlimited use for extra players. It's just that I can't offer the ultra low cost solution of creating extra licenses manually for those who want to upgrade existing secondaries.

• Members
So there's no additional purchase required with the time-limited licenses, I can just buy one month of the full game for $10 and go nuts?

Yep. :)

Can you buy several of these licenses or is it a one-time deal?

Be my guest, and buy several. You could even install them all on the same computer. If installed simultaneously they will get "used up" sequentially, that's something that the CodeMeter runtime software handles:

Unlimited licenses first, then activated licenses with expiration dates, then not-yet activated time based licenses, and finally "per use" licenses (if they exist); that's if I understood Mr. Kügler from Wibu Systems right (and if I still remember it correctly).

You may mix your CM stick with time-based licenses as well; the latter however will get installed on the PC itself and not on an eventually existing CM stick. If you do that, it will appear in the CodeMeter Control Center (and the WebAdmin) as if you had two CM sticks plugged in.

I always saw your and Sean's service as a temporary remedy, and a service to the community (and to eSim Games - thank you for that!).

But it also was a symptom of a demand, and I do not want to perpetuate your voluntary service here. Of course, if you want you may still continue doing what you do. But like you wrote, the demo program may have been "free", but only at the expense of dealing with a hassle for both you and the prospective customer. The new deal is no longer "free", but $10.- will eliminate your hassle and also be easier for the customer.

Yes, I think the stopgap loan programme could be safely retired now that we have the "pay as you go" model.

As far as secondary license UPGRADES are concerned, I haven't made a final decision yet, although I tend to discontinue it. Charging $5.- manually for each extra license cannot cover the expense in time and licensensing fees that I have to expend to make it work. IF I do it, I won't do it until well after the 3.0 release because I won't have the time for it.

I also think that most people don't need a large number of permanent licenses if they only play occasionally with their friends. It might still be acceptable to purchase a license "on demand", and your buddy could even "take home" the license if he brings over his own notebook for that LAN party. But if you already have a CodeMeter stick, buying additional upgrade licenses will still give you unlimited use for extra players. It's just that I can't offer the ultra low cost solution of creating extra licenses manually for those who want to upgrade existing secondaries.

I'd probably still be keen to keep my secondaries current (with $5 being an unsustainable minimum and $40 I guess being the extreme).

I'd certainly upgrade all if the price were in the $10 to $20 range (which might make it worthwhile for you).

If the only option is full licenses, then I might consider going from 1+7 down to maybe 4.

Although as a gesture of good faith / support / acknowledgement of past efforts I might also just upgrade them all and be done with it. :)

• Members

Before you buy anything, please contact me by email.

As far as secondary license upgrades are concerned, the main issue is not so much that $5.- or $10.- cover the costs, but the workload associated with it. I cannot automatize it at all, so every work step must be done by hand - checking for a clear statement of what the customer actually wants, turning that into an invoice, making a PDF of it, sending it out, then monitoring for payments, then creating the license ticket, and mailing it to the customer. Each of these steps is just a minor issue, but when dozenz of people want it all at the same time, it's a huge distraction from all the other work.

To be sure: I can buy an "additional upgrade license" for my secondary license at $40 and it will be permanent? If so I'll do that for sure, but personally, I wouldn't mind being put on a waiting list for secondary upgrades. (Either at $40 or $5.) I understand you're a busy man. But of course, I can only speak for me.

• Members
So $115.00 for new code meter, disk, and manual.

No, just the basic license (CodeMeter stick + download). Manual will go extra (and in any case, we won't have newly printed manuals at release day anyway, but probably not before October; the same applies to DVDs (not sure if it is worth the money to actually make them I must confess as few people order them, and they seem to be more of a collector's item rather than of practical value).

• Members
To be sure: I can buy an "additional upgrade license" for my secondary license at $40 and it will be permanent?

Yes. Just like right now where an upgrade license that is ordered in excess of the upgrade for the primary license simply adds one more license. The technical process behind it is the same. It checks for an existing license, and if there is one, it adds another.

What we've been discussing in the last posts was the question whether I would continue to upgrade existing secondary licenses at a reduced price. Since this all works only by "manually overriding" the web shop, I tend to stop that practice.