3.0 Included Scenarios

OnAlienware

We haven't heard much about 3.0's included scenarios. With more trial-oriented licenses becoming available, these scenarios will (in my opinion) become more important.

Previous upgrades have left scenarios largely unchanged, with odd place-holder vehicles and buildings. New features weren't implemented, and at least one scenario was broken.

I can already hear the chorus telling me (again) to fix it myself, which is fine for me. It's not fine for new people, who'll judge SB on the basis of its official content. When they do, I hope they see the richness of 3.0.

Any word on included scenarios? :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm guess the team is flat out getting the software to work at the moment.

Scenarios may well be considered a supporting effort.

No doubt if people were to accept a December release date they'd probably get a good piece of software and revised scenarios, but I think most people want it "yesterday". :)

Maybe a 3.0 scenario competition would be a good idea?

There are a number of scenario competition winners bundled with the current version, not sure how they worked as I was out of the community then, maybe it could be done again?

With all new things added in 3.0 im quite sure all scenario designers cant wait to enhance their old designs and to try new features in some situations which were impossible to represent correctly ( did any1 mentioned civilians or one of sides switching alliance in the middle of a battle ) :biggrin:.

So even if we get 3.0 without 1 single new scenario, and i doubt this will happen, we will have bunch of new battles, with all new features within days.

I don't think we can reasonably expect new people to sift through user-created content to uncover 3.0's potential.

+1.

This is also the reason I would like the release notes - and most definitely the manual - NOT to refer to new features as 'upgraded from' or 'added to v.2.654. Players familiar with the existing game will be able to work these things out for themselves, while it doesn't add any useful information for newbies.

With all the new things being implemented with v3.0, I don't mind waiting till "yesterday" sometime in December 2013. Doesn't mean I'm not anxiously awaiting its release though. Quality > Speedy in my humble opinion, that and I don't want the eSim crew to wear themselves out.

• Members

It's not about wearing out, it's about testers' and developers' fatigue. Once that you start preparing a release, everybody gets into high gear, and you just HAVE to get it out of the door at some point. With shifting release deadlines there's a serious danger of feature creep (well, it's more of a temptation with the associated danger of introducing new problems).

You cannot maintain the (positive) tension of a pre-release phase forever, at some point we just have to let go.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not about wearing out, it's about testers' and developers' fatigue. Once that you start preparing a release, everybody gets into high gear, and you just HAVE to get it out of the door at some point. With shifting release deadlines there's a serious danger of feature creep (well, it's more of a temptation with the associated danger of introducing new problems).

You cannot maintain the (positive) tension of a pre-release phase forever, at some point we just have to let go.

Which is why you should just release it tomorrow and get it overwith.

Just think. All the pressure would be off your shoulders and you could just relax on the deck with a beer in your hand this weekend :)

• Members
Which is why you should just release it tomorrow and get it overwith.

Just think. All the pressure would be off your shoulders

No. I would replace testing pressure against pressure from customers who complain that the title was released prematurely.

No. I would replace testing pressure against pressure from customers who complain that the title was released prematurely.

I agree. And remember, no official release date has been released. There was mention of when eSim was aiming for, but as we all know plans don't always go as planned. I for one would rather wait and have a completed product than have it incomplete now. I honestly don't want any pressure on eSim while they do what I consider a great favor to their fans. I for one am very grateful for Steel Beasts as well as what they are implementing in 3.0.