3.0 Included Scenarios

OnAlienware

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I would check out the new operation that is included. But as you know, the best way to find good content is to open the excellent scenario editor and create it. Otherwise you will always be at the mercy of someone else to create something that you will enjoy running.

I hear what you're saying, Sean. I'm worried it's probably more than we can expect out of someone just investigating SB. Even as a long time fan, I'm disappointed by the current scenarios not putting SB's best foot forward.

I think a couple showcase scenarios would go a long way. And feature them in a way that doesn't lose them in a long, layered list.

My whole point is that official scenarios should be cutting edge at release.

Impossible, unless you want to delay the release date by another month so that mission designers can make/update a scenario or two with the new features. I doubt the majority of SB users would be supportive of that, especially those that prefer MP vice SP. New features are great, but you run the risk of breaking older scenarios because of them.

I'm with FlatTax on this one. When I buy a "game" I expect that there is scenarios included that shows it on the best side. One of the first things I actually did when firing up 3.0 was going into the offline mode and tried to find 3.0 showcase scenarios, and was a bit disappointed that I didn't find any.

But yeah, I am making my own scenarios atm, but those are many weeks out, would have been nice to just boot up SB 3.0 and try the new cool features out directly when I got it.

/KT

• Administrators

Check out the scenarios in the "multi" folder - most of those were updated for v3. Maybe next time there could be a v3+ showcase scenario. Updating everything every time is probably a bridge too far, unfortunately.

• Moderators
My whole point is that official scenarios should be cutting edge at release. Expecting new people to sift through user-created content sometime after the fact to experience features isn't reasonable.

IMO the problem here is in the rationale that cutting edge scenarios are vital for each release, but really it depends on how you look at it. Yes, it is nice to show off the new features (and there are many new "Multi" scenarios I made myself there, and also the Sinai Operation which was made over several years actually), but with the new version -- everything plays new. For example, old scenarios play just as good as they did before but now they look better with shadows and lighting in vehicles, and the infantry are much nicer. The point is, even the old stuff plays differently (usually for the better, but sometimes needs rebalancing). Either way, I personally updated 20 to 30 scenarios with new equipment in this release and it is very easy to do the same to your favorite "oldie" scenarios, but yes, unfortunately it is not obvious as to which of those scenarios were updated, but you can easily press the "Sort" button and sort by newest IIRC.

Still though, I am guilty myself of making nothing but multiplayer scenarios to give us something to play for TGIF. Now with the Operations feature I think (or hope) we will see an influx of community made awesome single player experiences over time.

• 1 year later...
Gentlemen,

I'm reviving this thread to begin lobbying for 2016's release to include feature-current scenarios. I believe it's important for (modestly) growing the community.

Important enough to add a few months to a release date?

Basically the team develops the software, tests it, and releases it.

Your plan would require them to develop the software, test it, create the new scenarios that showcase the key items and then release it.

The other high risk option is to develop the scenarios concurrently hoping that Feature X will work and be included. You would need to wait part way through the development cycle to ensure that Feature X made the final cut so even if still buggy you'd need to try and develop the scenario assuming it works "properly".

Then if feature X is not included or vehicle Y then that scenario is now wasted effort and will be binned.

I don't think the team is big enough to have people working on multiple scenarios some of which will end up on the developer's floor.

Similarly I don't think the customer base will be too happy if Ssnake says "Ver X is ready and will be released in 3 months when we have built and tested the new scenario content".

People here get upset when it slips a week, let alone a couple of months. :)

Gentlemen,

I'm reviving this thread to begin lobbying for 2016's release to include feature-current scenarios. I believe it's important for (modestly) growing the community.

The guys at Esim have provided an extremely powerful and intuitive mission editor. I think they've done their part.

Perhaps re-engineering all scenarios is too much, but I believe not including at least a couple showcase scenarios is an enormous missed opportunity.

Maybe the SB community could help out.

We have some pretty talented mission makers on this forum

But I assume they would need access to the Alfa/Beta version of the next update.

• Members

A lot could be achieved already by the original mission designers (or other volunteers) updating their 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 era scenarios to include 3.0 features. I wouldn't say no if these were offered on reasonable terms. Note that we can accept only scenarios that are based on maps that are supplied with the standard installation of SB Pro.

Likewise, if anyone here wants to offer us some new single player scenarios that are good we'd be willing to playtest them during the beta test phase and who knows, maybe in the few weeks between code freeze and final build, update those scenarios with a handful of last minute changes.

Given the size of our team, our energy is best invested in working on the simulation groundwork and providing you with the necessary editors. We simply do not have the capacity to also work on scenarios. We tried it for 3.0 with a second operation but particularly _I_ failed miserably to do my part. I simply ran out of time.

In the end I have to run a company to make sure that all developers and artists receive their pay checks on time. That's the #1 priority.