SB & steam question

Iv'e added SB pro pe to steam in hopes I could use the overlay to chat with friends as i play, and just wanted to know if anyone else has been able to get the overlay working without taking the game off administrator mode? The overlay works without administrator mode but without that i'm unable to get into the map editor. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Iv'e added SB pro pe to steam in hopes I could use the overlay to chat with friends as i play, and just wanted to know if anyone else has been able to get the overlay working without taking the game off administrator mode? The overlay works without administrator mode but without that i'm unable to get into the map editor. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If your problem is not being able to use the Map Editor, can I suggest you:

READ THE READ ME FILE WHERE IT TELLS YOU ON THE FIRST PAGE HOW TO INSTALL THE SOFTWARE??!!!!

He wasn't having any problems using the map editor, he just commented that he could only get the Steam overlay to work when he loaded SB without admin mode, which, as he mentioned, disables the map editor. Yes, you can change the permissions for the map folder to make it work without admin mode, but that's a lot more involved then just running it in admin mode.

True but I think that is the way PC gaming and other software is going. The concept of software ownership is going to die out in many ways. Just look at what Adobe are doing with their Creative Cloud.

Privacy (in this context) only becomes an issue what you start sharing info you don't want shared

True but I think that is the way PC gaming and other software is going. The concept of software ownership is going to die out in many ways. Just look at what Adobe are doing with their Creative Cloud.

Privacy (in this context) only becomes an issue what you start sharing info you don't want shared

+1

Steam is really great, but sadly some people are bit paranoids.. :frown:

I thought the whole point of paying for software was so you could own it. And not have to deal with third party software, ads and other content you really didn't want in the first place.

Edit: Granted, SB uses Codemeter, but I find it to be less intrusive than Steam.

Actually if you actually read the multi page Times New Roman 6 "License Agreements" you'll find that in most cases you have never owned the software.

You own the media (DVD, etc.) it came on, the documentation and you have a license to use the software.

What I detest about Steam is the harvesting of marketing information, the arbitrary decisions to block users access to software they have at least paid to have access to (if not bought), etc.

I for one am very grateful that eSim didn't adopt that distribution mechanism.

If you like it, use it, but as I say I don't need it so it comes nowhere near my machines.

• Members

I don't think that the average Steam subscriber is even remotely aware of all the info that Valve is collecting. Yes, you can go offline, but the information gets collected anyway (and transmitted as soon as you go online again). Who reads end-user license agreements, anyway? Only lawyers, and paranoid freaks, it seems.

Convenience overrules any consideration of long-term consequences, it seems.

To each his own, but eSim Games will not participate in this. Also, did you ever notice that all the people who say that "privacy is dead" have a vested interest in it becoming true?

They want you to use the cloud because that's how they earn their money. Either by subscriber fees, or more likely, by collecting data and creating user behavioral data and patterns.

The decision to rely on Steam is precisely why I will not be buying ARMA 3, for all of the reasons that have been so well described already. I will happily continue playing VBS2 and SB with their USB keys. Steam will never make it onto any PC I own.

I thought the whole point of paying for software was so you could own it. And not have to deal with third party software, ads and other content you really didn't want in the first place.

Edit: Granted, SB uses Codemeter, but I find it to be less intrusive than Steam.

True that.

Goddamn it's annoying with all the ads and stability issues I have with Steam.

Yeah, I truly think that internet safety and data security should be more of a priority in schools today. I think it is getting there (at least in the UK) but we are still working with too many non tech savy people in education not to mention government.

True that.

Goddamn it's annoying with all the ads and stability issues I have with Steam.

The ads are the games they sell, so you kind of have to expect that but there are no others, and stability issues, really? I've never had a single stability issue related to steam and I've been on it since day one. What issues do you have that you can confirm is a Steam issue? Just wondering

The ads are the games they sell, so you kind of have to expect that but there are no others, and stability issues, really? I've never had a single stability issue related to steam and I've been on it since day one. What issues do you have that you can confirm is a Steam issue? Just wondering

This^^^^^^^

Been using Steam for years and years without ISSUE! None. Nada.

I don't have to waste gas going to a store nor do I have to pay sales tax.

I can get most $60 games within a year for $19.99 and they're all patched up and bug free thanks to the folks who just gotta have it now and pay $59.99

Patches are automatic.

Finding gaming jewels no one ever heard of is easy.

DLC is readily available

If I get tired of playing something I can delete it and years later if it piques my interest again reinstall it no problem, free of charge and have all the latest patches without having to hunt for a DVD that probably would have gotten misplaced.

Say what you will but the last time I looked Steam has something like 10 million users - 10 freaking million. That's a lot of users to sell your product to even if only .5% (one half of a percent bite). Considering (old number - may have gone up) that 30,000 units used to be a good number for most gaming software and having the base Steam has to pitch your product too seems like a winning proposition to me if one is an indie developer.

Say what you will but Steam has a winning business model and their distribution method will be around for a very, very long time.

Run Steel Beasts in windowed mode, then just use Steam to chat on Steam. That's what I do. I find SB is much more friendly in windowed mode anyway.

This^^^^^^^

I can get most $60 games within a year for $19.99 and they're all patched up and bug free thanks to the folks who just gotta have it now and pay $59.99

Patches are automatic.

DLC is readily available

If I get tired of playing something I can delete it and years later if it piques my interest again reinstall it no problem, free of charge and have all the latest patches without having to hunt for a DVD that probably would have gotten misplaced.

Say what you will but the last time I looked Steam has something like 10 million users - 10 freaking million. That's a lot of users to sell your product to even if only .5% (one half of a percent bite). Considering (old number - may have gone up) that 30,000 units used to be a good number for most gaming software and having the base Steam has to pitch your product too seems like a winning proposition to me if one is an indie developer.

Say what you will but Steam has a winning business model and their distribution method will be around for a very, very long time.

I agree. I really shocked that esim is so negative against Steam.

But maybe they will see the light some day :biggrin:

Steam is good for some "games" however I fully agree with Ssnake that it is not the way for Steel Beasts Pro Pe.

They would exercise a undesireable control over the sim.

I do use Steam with games as ARMA3 or the Train Simulator 2013 but mostly because I have no other option. :frown:

I would surely not enjoy having SB in Steam.

This^^^^^^^

Patches are automatic.

DLC is readily available

I agree. I really shocked that esim is so negative against Steam.

But maybe they will see the light some day :biggrin:

I wouldn't hold your breath:

Privacy issues, for starters. And they can close your account at any time of their choosing, for any reason.
Actually if you actually read the multi page Times New Roman 6 "License Agreements" you'll find that in most cases you have never owned the software.

You own the media (DVD, etc.) it came on, the documentation and you have a license to use the software.

What I detest about Steam is the harvesting of marketing information, the arbitrary decisions to block users access to software they have at least paid to have access to (if not bought), etc.

I for one am very grateful that eSim didn't adopt that distribution mechanism.

If you like it, use it, but as I say I don't need it so it comes nowhere near my machines.

I don't think that the average Steam subscriber is even remotely aware of all the info that Valve is collecting. Yes, you can go offline, but the information gets collected anyway (and transmitted as soon as you go online again). Who reads end-user license agreements, anyway? Only lawyers, and paranoid freaks, it seems.

Convenience overrules any consideration of long-term consequences, it seems.

To each his own, but eSim Games will not participate in this. Also, did you ever notice that all the people who say that "privacy is dead" have a vested interest in it becoming true?

They want you to use the cloud because that's how they earn their money. Either by subscriber fees, or more likely, by collecting data and creating user behavioral data and patterns.

The decision to rely on Steam is precisely why I will not be buying ARMA 3, for all of the reasons that have been so well described already. I will happily continue playing VBS2 and SB with their USB keys. Steam will never make it onto any PC I own.

I think Toyguy has hit the nail on the head.

Can you imagine a military IT dept allowing highly sensitive gunnery trainers to have an always on internet connection?

Subject to all the security and support issues?

No, I don't think so.