SB & steam question

• Members

I don't want to start (or support) a forum war about the merits or disadvantages of Steam. For many people it apparently is a good solution. But there are many people on Facebook too, for better or for worse. For a number of technical reasons alone (the "must have" internet connection (at least once for activation), to name the most prominent) Steam simply is out of the equation for Steel Beasts. Beyond that I have my personal reservations, and I think it is justified to point out some of the advantages (privacy) that CodeMeter offers over Valve's behavioral monitoring machine. Let's not forget, last but not least, that both developers and Steam subscribers are pretty much dependent on Valve.

Steam is a form of bloatware introducing unnecessary risk even apart from the privacy concerns:

http://revuln.com/files/ReVuln_Steam_Browser_Protocol_Insecurity.pdf

Regards,

Sander

If you're on the Internet virtually every browser or app that connects to the Internets could be a problem and most are. The ones that aren't just haven't been found out yet.. Please tell me you aren't using Windows and don't have an always on board band connection. If so I'd have to argue Steam should be the least of your worries.

Personally I'd love to see multilayer done through Steam. The way it is now is a little old fashion. Of course I'm not opposed to eSim updating how we connect to others either. Would love some master servers and match making so I could find games on my schedule and not 3am :biggrin:

For many people it apparently is a good solution. But there are many people on Facebook too, for better or for worse.

How dare you try to imply that just because I use Steam, I might also use Facebook! You take that back, you... you... Myspace user! :D

I just look at Steam as a convenient online storage/distribution system for my games, with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails, and ignore the social features.

Anyway, I can't imagine eSim using Steam to distribute Steel Beasts as it's not exactly a mass market product and wouldn't likely sell much better there than it already does, assuming they would even want to deal with the general gaming community.

Would love some master servers and match making so I could find games on my schedule and not 3am :biggrin:

Except of course (as has been flogged to death several times before) this would require:

- Dedicated hardware

- A massive re write of the software

- Canned scenarios

etc.

all of which is highly unlikely to happen.

I commend to you the "Calendar" link above.

If you're on the Internet virtually every browser or app that connects to the Internets could be a problem and most are. The ones that aren't just haven't been found out yet.. Please tell me you aren't using Windows and don't have an always on board band connection. If so I'd have to argue Steam should be the least of your worries.

That is why one can apply sound principles of computing, enforcing least privilege and minimality. Steam fails in both respects and will therefore not be the least of my worries, but none at all. Some people do read EULA's, do monitor traffic and adjust firewalls and do harden SW, just like some start building toilets instead of wearing nappies. Not everything needs to be sacrificed on the altar of convenience. With Arma 3 going Steam exclusive and SB Pro steering clear my wallet will cast the appropriate vote.

Regards,

Sander

That is why one can apply sound principles of computing, enforcing least privilege and minimality. Steam fails in both respects and will therefore not be the least of my worries, but none at all. Some people do read EULA's, do monitor traffic and adjust firewalls and do harden SW, just like some start building toilets instead of wearing nappies. Not everything needs to be sacrificed on the altar of convenience. With Arma 3 going Steam exclusive and SB Pro steering clear my wallet will cast the appropriate vote.

Regards,

Sander

Oh well, I have both sims and no one has ever hacked my Steam Browser in 15 years, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else, nor am I worried about it happening..

To each his own I guess.