More maps...

Zipuli

A new map I am working on currently...

Can you guess what this place is?

1) It's up north (for most of you guys anyways)

2) It has seen its share of tanks in the past... it was trendy to wear white back then

3) An anagram of the place's name: "Usual Is Moms"

4) The center of the said town is on an island (in the middle left in the image) called "Old hag's isle" if translated directly from the native language

5) The map size is 50x50km, it uses DTED3 height data and will be ready (hopefully) quickly after PE 3.0 is out...

Any guesses? :D

Images will follow later...

56e83ceabdb54_missioneditorview.png.c013

56e83ceabdb54_missioneditorview.png.c013

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really good!

Näyttää oikein hyvältä, miten nuo isot pensaikot/puskat? Blokkaavatko ne myös tekoälyn näkökenttää.. Muistaakseni joskus aikoinaan AI näki noista läpi :eek2:

Jahka 3.0 tulee niin alkaa kyllä todellinen biistin peluu, toimii kivasti muuten biisti 3 näytön eyefinityssä. :biggrin:

-espi

Few images... more to follow later.

Approaching the town of Suomussalmi from the west, going through the first residential towards to town center.

Where these pics taken with SB 3.0 or you have just some custom bloom added? nice landscape btw - looking forward to crush some buildings here with my M1A2 SEP ;)

Where these pics taken with SB 3.0 or you have just some custom bloom added? nice landscape btw - looking forward to crush some buildings here with my M1A2 SEP ;)

Just make sure you avoid the:

bottomless peat bogs and other natural obstacles to AFV movement

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great Zipuli! The close terrain looks like it could make for some challenging AFV manoeuvre versus infantry. Is this another map where the buildings and other features are photo realistically hand-placed?

Yes, made by my hand... Though currently only partially, as there are 250 square kilometers to cover :P... But most important places are already "detailed".

Full map. Those big bodies of water offer good chance for amphibious manouvers... But in winter they are frozen and can be used even by heavier vehicles. They also offer some of the best engagement areas and ranges for ATGMs!

Suomussalmi.png.25e086ff82a328b647a23dda

Suomussalmi.png.25e086ff82a328b647a23dda

OK so where are the bottomless peat bogs and other natural obstacles to AFV movement?

Just got summer and autumn themes figured out:

- Forests are slo-go, but doable with AFVs. Trucks need to "crawl" and are as fast as infantry in woods, which is about right. Too bad the tree density is very low in the forests...

- Fields are good for traveling during summer, but will turn into semi-swamps in the autumn - you can drive on them with some AFVs but you may get stuck.

- There are 2 (well, 3) types of swamp. A "easy to move", a "hard to move" and a peat production "swampy thing". Easy to move swamp can be used by most all terrain vehicles, but it's slow going. Hard to move swamps simply suck the vehicle in. Peat production areas are nice "motorways" for some of the better mobility AFVs, but very hard for trucks etc.

So basically AFV movement is limited during summer... and very limited during autumn. I have not made it totally realistic, as AI would be stuck with all vehicles in no time :D

Still need winter themes: one with light snow and water not frozen (early winter), otherwise similar as autumn with everything outside roads being "sucky"... and frozen theme, where all the lakes, swamps and fields are fully frozen and provide hard (but slippery) surfaces to drive your vehicles on. And forests simply suck the vehicles to a halt. This will provide some interesting tactical possibilities, I hope!