Tablets!

Hedgehog

Tablets!

(No not the pills.)

Chaps I am tempted to acuire a tablet.

Mainly to thin out my obscenely large magazine collection, and have it all on a single highly portable device.

Also as a "Kindle" device, store all these nice tanking books on.

My priorities are a nice big screen I can view a full colour reference book's page on and ease of use.

So which one to get.

I'm kinda favouring the Ipad at the moment.

But I ask as I'd like to consider all options.

• Members

The more important question IMO is which "software ecosystem" suits your needs better, and in the foreseeable future. Because that's how an ever increasing disincentive to migrate builds up. The more content you have acquired through their shops, if you can't somehow store/convert it to an independent format, the more difficult it will be to change models outside the base line. E.g. Kindle Fire seem to be nice, until you realize that all the "purchased" books will be gone as soon as you switch to a different vendor. It's not quite so extreme with iTunes ... but you'll have to use iTunes to manage all your files. Android doesn't have as much on offer as far as content is concerned (but it's growing), I can't really say how easy or difficult it is to migrate stuff to a different system. In the long run, this is probably the more important question than how shiny the hardware is.

Arguably the hardware gets designed to make you forget about the consequences. ;)

We have a work-issued Hewlett Packard tablet with a 10.1 inch screen with Windows 7 installed. We rarely use it, preferring instead our desktop PCs for most computing needs. We also have a stand that allows for viewing when it is docked for use with the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard (I recommend getting both with any tablet.)

Using the stylus is tricky when trying to type something in on the virtual keyboard on the tablet screen and we often get double letter strikes that have to be corrected. We prefer to use the tablet like a standard PC with the mouse and keyboard to ease data entry and web browsing when at home. The tablet will adjust the screen from landscape to portrait view automatically making it suitable for reading a book page or magazine page just by turning the device 90 degrees. It also has a low-res 2 megapixel camera built in that can take still images or be used to make a video.

I am more used to my large PC monitors. I find the 10.1 inch screen small and hard to read so I usually use the zoom function and enlarge the screen display content to 125% to 150% for most web browsing functions. Of course, the display is in color.

HP no longer sells tablets, but other Windows based tablets with 10.1 inch screens are probably very much the same or similar.

Amazon offers a number of free Kindle reader applications for PCs and other other OS. I had one for Windows PCs installed on one of our desktops for a while to read a free book from Amazon. You can download your books from Amazon with the reader programs just as you do for your Kindle. Barnes & Nobel have a Windows based reader program for their "Nook" reader ebooks.

So you could have both readers installed and get books from both sites if you were so inclined.

I've noticed that when this question is asked, usually people promote/defend the tablet they have... and kinda funny how they attack or downgrade a tablet they've never used. ;)

That said, as a long time iPad user, and I love it... I think the iBook app on it is great. I have a number of Novels that are easy to read and bookmark. I also have graphic novels and comics that are great and very colorful, and readable. But the best part, it reads and displays pdf's very well... I have all of my gaming manuals and documents, including all of the ones provided by eSims for SB Pro PE. All bookmark-able, clear and detailed. Sure you can import them via iTunes into iBook, but you don't have to... get the free app called "dropbox"; it's a app that you can put anything in, file wise, docs, pdf's, images, movies, etc etc and it keeps them synced via your desktop and your iPad... but whats great is that you can open the book, say the SB Pro PE manual on your iPad using dropbox, (which is really like a online storage server), and click "open this in iBook", once it's open in iBook, it's saved in your library forever, unless you remove it of course.

just my 2 cents.

I recently picked up an Ipad mini. The deciding factor was the apps. Most of the ones that interested me the most, were only available on the Ipad. For instance, Sid meier's ace patrol is only on the Ipad, no android port.

Like everything else, its really about how much money you want to spend. It was hard to go with the Apple. You can get another tablet with twice the everything(except the camera, the best), for the same price as just about anything apple makes.

After a lot of research it came down to the mini, and the Nexus 7. I went mini.

You do know these things are fairly delicate and aren't ruggardised to bounce around in the back of a FO's vehicle?

Having said that if what you are after is a "Kindle replacement" then I think most will work since they all have "book readers / Kindle software" availalbe to them.

I do have a soft spot for the iPad but you then tend to need to be in the Apple universe for ease of file transfer, etc. (although drop box cdertainly helps with that).

You do know these things are fairly delicate and aren't ruggardised to bounce around in the back of a FO's vehicle?

Having said that if what you are after is a "Kindle replacement" then I think most will work since they all have "book readers / Kindle software" availalbe to them.

I do have a soft spot for the iPad but you then tend to need to be in the Apple universe for ease of file transfer, etc. (although drop box cdertainly helps with that).

I think one of these would be ideal for the FO vehicle. :)

http://www.griduk.com/media/uploads/products/2515%20Datasheet%202013.pdf

I reckon one of these would be a nifty widget to have in a command M1A1:

http://www.griduk.com/media/uploads/products/GRiDCASE%201510%20Datasheet%202013.pdf

Nice and small so you can shove into a turret nook. :)

To: "supplybods(at)adf.co.au"

Subject: Ammo resupply, OPEX Firestorm

Dear Sir,

Please supply 120 mm round types & numbers of:

360 rounds of KE-WA2

220 rounds of M830A1

To resupply point "Bravo" as per trace issued 12-07-2013

Please ensure rounds are in position NLT, H-Hour -6

Regards, CO 1st AR

"Paratus"

:biggrin:

If your interested Gibsonm:

http://www.griduk.com

Thanks for the replies guys,

I am swerving towards the Ipad.

I think it is the better "Jack of all trades"

Which is what I am after, something I can read a book on, a graphic novel, watch a move, watch internet TV on.

It all stems from the fact my guitar teacher has an Ipad I 'm pretty impressed with how it works if I'm honest.

I am sure I will need to get a wireless keyboard as well.

I get the impression the Samsungs and Fires and the kindles are all a bit more tailored to their various roles....

I think the most important thing is that apple seem to have their S**t together when it comes to designing GUIs. :biggrin: After all it is their USP.

(Acronyms:

GUI = Graphic User Interface

USP = Unique Selling Point.)

I think I need to go out and have a good fiddle and a play with them all. :debile2:

That's the best way to make sure I'm not wasting £300 odd quid.

I have a Superpad II and I love it. 10" screen,Android system and it has a modified OS system in also. GPS,wireless, Sleeve with built in keypad, long bat life, 2 usb ports, etc,and the list goes on and on, $125 to my doorstep (beat that Ipad)

In fact it was my army Ipad that made me buy the superpad II. But the I Pad has little in the way of what I needed it for, and it's to $$ for what is now out there with the same options.

I used a laptop, now I use the pad to travel, and the army likes me to travel.

Well thanks everyone for your inputs! :)

I think the best thing to do is have a good play with the recommendations made here & what the review magazines consider the major contenders within my budget. (Whatever I decide that to be....)

(But I probably won't get one for a while...)

Again, thanks.