Possible New Purchaser Questions...

Grim.Reaper

Hello,

After debating getting this simulator for what seems like years, really considering making the purchase at this time but had a few questions. Tried looking at past threads as much as I could find, so I apologize ahead of time if the topics were previously discussed and I just missed them. Sorry for asking all these newbie questions but just want to make sure I understand the mechanics.

1) How does the license upgrade process work for 3.0? If I buy the simulator now and then want to upgrade to version 3.0 at some point, do you receive some kind of new license code that somehow you apply to your version of the game? I am not sure how codemeter/stick works and how licenses get applied in the first place. Upgrade price seems pretty reasonable so that's nice.

2) I have seen threads that state the current version does not officially support Windows 8, however people seem to still get things running. Will version 3.0 officially support Windows 8 since it has been out for awhile now? If I buy it and it does not end up working, are refunds possible based on that reason or would I be out of luck?

3) If you are playing the simulator as a tank commander in single player mode, does an AI platoon/company commander issue you specific objectives and commands to follow? Or do you just play lone wolf and do what you want? I am hoping the AI gives out commands in order to still have a cohesive attack, but wasn't sure. For example, will the AI commander tell me to attack a certain target, go to a certain location, defend this spot, recon this area, etc.

4) Does the simulator only support single missions? Or is there any kind of campaign feature available in the current version or the upcoming 3.0? If so, how does it work? Do you have stats that carry over from one mission to another and there is some sort of outcome at a campaign level?

5) What are the typical objectives in a mission? Attack other tanks/vehicles? Attack some kind of building structure? etc.

6) Most of the videos I have seen show much of the action happening in wide open fields and in wooded areas. Is that the primary battlefield? Are there fights within urban locations, cities, etc.

7) How long does a typical mission last to complete? I know it likely varies based on mission, but are missions typically completed in an hour, multiple hours, etc.

8) I know you can buy a physical copy of the manual.....is it safe to assume there is a digital format of the same manual included with the simulator itself?

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) 3.0 is a new build. Get it-Install-ready

2.) Like my teachers used to say: I you have no clue, keep your mouth shut ;-)

In short, i have no idea here

3.) In single player mode YOU are the commander in chief. You can script all the units on the

map to follow YOUR plan, but Ai will not come up with it own one. AI will be a "intelligent"

as the mission maker made it. I think there are a several missions out there that allow you

to drive in one tank while the others are run by the script.

4.) there will be a campain option in the 3.0 release...can't tell more at moment

5.) sensable objectives of a mission would be to take/hold a certain area/key terrain.

You could also be tasked to destroy certain enemy formations. Both concepts can be

combined.

6.) open ground is the natural habitat of the tank. There are also missions in urban

terrain...they are just less fun in my point of view. MOUT is slow and gritty...no

glorious charges here ;-). Also as the infantry model is limited in SB it makes not too

much fun to play MOUT as infantry is the main carrier of the fight there. (Its more

complicated then that, but please take that as a first answer)

7.)As per mission design, I've seen missions that last 30 minutes...longest I've played so

far was more then 3 hours

8.) there will be an updated print manual. For most questions in running the game there

good support on this site (check the SB-wiki!!)

Thank you so much for providing me quick answers to my questions.....I did want to expand more on the single player mode since that is where I will spend most of my time. I personally like to be involved with a portion of a battle without always being responsible for actions of all the other units. With that said, are you saying that I would always be responsible for issuing orders to all the friendly units in a mission? So if I had 4 tanks on my side, I would be responsible for telling them what to do as well as my own controlled tank? I was hoping that I could be responsible for only my specific tanks actions since I find it tough at times in coordinating everything on the battlefield. Thanks!

Well to answer the second post - it depends on how the scenario designer has scripted it (some are single vehicle, most aren't).

As for the Wiki, usually once you register you are sent an email asking you to confirm registration (check your junk mail) and once you do that you can get in.

I know its on the home page of the site but on the off chance that you didn't notice, there is a loan license programme available that lets you "try before you buy" (usually for about 2 weeks) so you can answer a bunch of these questions that way.

Oh and search is your friend (I'm sure I've answered a bunch of similar questions to the ones you have asked several times already from others in the last few weeks).

1) Ok, thanks for the clarification on single versus multiple vehicle scenarios...something I will need to consider.

2) Looks like I now have access to the wiki, maybe it just took time. I received my confirm email and accepted it yesterday, so maybe just needed a day. All good now.

3) Yes, I saw the possible use of the demo which is great. However, noticed it wasn't available before July 20th. If I were to purchase, I would likely want to pull the trigger before then:)

4) As for searching the forum, did my best to look up these answers prior to posting as I mentioned in my intro, maybe just didn't use all the right search words or possibly I didn't think what was found exactly answered my questions.

Thanks again for the help.

3) Yes, I saw the possible use of the demo which is great. However, noticed it wasn't available before July 20th. If I were to purchase, I would likely want to pull the trigger before then:)

Well two of the licenses I lend out become free in the next 24 hours.

Drop me an email and I'll send you the details.

Number 1 - typically you'd just get a new license to load onto the Codemeter stick. It's easy and straightforward. However, with V3.0 there will be some additional options. See the License thread in the General forum for more details.

Number 2 - Can't say as I don't run Windows 8 and never will :)

Number 3 - In general, as already noted, you are the boss. However, clever scripting can to some degree fill that role too, typically in the form of "radio messages" that tell you what to do next. That gets complicated to design though so more often, you will be in control. On the plus side, you can design a mission plan before the scenario starts, then save it so you can revisit it later if things didn't go as you planned!

Number 4 - Already answered with as much detail as we have so far.

Number 5 - Objectives can really be whatever the mission designer wants but USUALLY it will be elimination of enemy forces, capture or destruction of key objectives, denial of something to the enemy, etc.

Number 6 - Pretty well answered already but V3.0 will up the ante here with third party forces, such as hostile, friendly or neutral civilians. I'd still expect most scenarios to focus on more open areas for maneuver as it's more fun than MOUT in a crowded town with narrow streets but I think you may see more of that with V3 than we do today.

Number 7 - The Mission Editor allows up to 200 minutes with up to +/- 20% randomization, so a max of up to 240 minutes.

Number 8 - the game includes digital copies of a number of documents including the current manual. The manual is undergoing a full rewrite but isn't expected until later this year. There's also a lot of information on the forum and in the download library - Army Field Manuals, Tank manuals, etc.

1) How does the license upgrade process work for 3.0? If I buy the simulator now and then want to upgrade to version 3.0 at some point, do you receive some kind of new license code that somehow you apply to your version of the game? I am not sure how codemeter/stick works and how licenses get applied in the first place. Upgrade price seems pretty reasonable so that's nice.

2) I have seen threads that state the current version does not officially support Windows 8, however people seem to still get things running. Will version 3.0 officially support Windows 8 since it has been out for awhile now? If I buy it and it does not end up working, are refunds possible based on that reason or would I be out of luck?

3) If you are playing the simulator as a tank commander in single player mode, does an AI platoon/company commander issue you specific objectives and commands to follow? Or do you just play lone wolf and do what you want? I am hoping the AI gives out commands in order to still have a cohesive attack, but wasn't sure. For example, will the AI commander tell me to attack a certain target, go to a certain location, defend this spot, recon this area, etc.

4) Does the simulator only support single missions? Or is there any kind of campaign feature available in the current version or the upcoming 3.0? If so, how does it work? Do you have stats that carry over from one mission to another and there is some sort of outcome at a campaign level?

5) What are the typical objectives in a mission? Attack other tanks/vehicles? Attack some kind of building structure? etc.

6) Most of the videos I have seen show much of the action happening in wide open fields and in wooded areas. Is that the primary battlefield? Are there fights within urban locations, cities, etc.

7) How long does a typical mission last to complete? I know it likely varies based on mission, but are missions typically completed in an hour, multiple hours, etc.

8) I know you can buy a physical copy of the manual.....is it safe to assume there is a digital format of the same manual included with the simulator itself?

Thanks!

Hey Grim Reaper. Let me see if I can give an impression of what I see in SBProPE.

A) first and foremost, this isn't a game, it's a high fidelity desk trainer for armies.. what this means is, the ammo, targeting, tactics command models are created to satisfy tanker teachers in a way that is true to form as compared to the actual training in the field

B) think of this game as a flight simulator in accuracy, but I think it needs to said that flight simulators have had a long history of being 'retail able' and as such, have more development dollars backing them.. Steel Beasts until very recent, has had one programmer.. the development is as fast as can be, and the changes are deliberate yet steady - for instance, many armies won't buy the latest and fastest PCs to keep pace with the software, so this keeps the game from becoming a graphic extravaganza

C) the game can be as easy or hard to play as you decide.. if you load up a mission requiring you to just gun from one tank, it would be easy.. easy in the sense that the switchology and mechanics of gunning can be, yet still difficult to be good at it.. easy to play, yet hard to master, like leading to drive a car, or being a winning driver in a F1 car - the game becomes much harder, when you advance to making tactical and strategic plans for controlling the units, and even harder as this is often done on-the-fly in the heat of battle

D) the cost of the game seems high, yet do know that it is updated quite often, and has been around for decades, so the value is great.. now and then a major update comes along, and eSim charges a small fee for that, which is awesome - the community isn't huge, they don't profit from the gamers, they make their money from the army contracts.. it's a real great thing that eSim even offers this sim to gamers, I imagine most sims as this are hidden away from the public!

E) unfortunately, there can be limits and errors in this sim that likely affect gamers more so than the military customers, and therefore aren't a priority to be fixed.. or possibly fixing them would break something else.. I'm only guessing, but the AI 'pathing' can be a frustration at times, such as simple tasks as crossing a bridge often has units getting stuck in a river.. also, due to the developmental limits, the performance of the game engine are 'tight'.. ideally a total rewrite of the engine now and then throughout the game's life cycle would be ideal, for instance taking advantage of multiple CPU cores

F) there is nothing else that compares to SBProPE.. this sim is totally distinct, and if you're slightly interested in what it offers, GET IT (period)

G) the mission / tactical planning is very thorough.. unit routing is really cool and the way they can be directed/programmed to move is amazing.. very logical with boolean operators

H) to really excel at this 'game', I'd guess that you need to really understand unit tactics, their limits, how they work together as a team-unit, logistics and resupply, and command... if you've been in the army, you're set to understand this game better, and a lot of the players have this experience.. I don't, and couldn't tell the difference from a batallion from a company.. unit map markings and the terminology involved is a bit overwhelming, yet if you research this stuff, then mastering this game is possible.. kind of like ARMA, to really do well and run with the big dogs, you gotta know your stuff - yet, as the community is small and very tight, they welcome all comers, and playing online is a joy, and if all you feel you can do is drive the tank and take direction from the tank commander, then you will have fun!

Anyways, I hope this response isn't taken anymore than just one person's opinion of what the game means to me. I've played it off and on since the original release of Steel Beasts, but consider myself a noob at it - totally! I don't play it enough, and blame my joystick and wish I had a gunners handles station to use (why can't the community come together and manufacture something affordable?). I download and play the easiest missions I can find, and have yet to join in on an online mission.

Snappy

Thank you, very helpful information.

Number 1 - typically you'd just get a new license to load onto the Codemeter stick. It's easy and straightforward. However, with V3.0 there will be some additional options. See the License thread in the General forum for more details.

Number 2 - Can't say as I don't run Windows 8 and never will :)

Number 3 - In general, as already noted, you are the boss. However, clever scripting can to some degree fill that role too, typically in the form of "radio messages" that tell you what to do next. That gets complicated to design though so more often, you will be in control. On the plus side, you can design a mission plan before the scenario starts, then save it so you can revisit it later if things didn't go as you planned!

Number 4 - Already answered with as much detail as we have so far.

Number 5 - Objectives can really be whatever the mission designer wants but USUALLY it will be elimination of enemy forces, capture or destruction of key objectives, denial of something to the enemy, etc.

Number 6 - Pretty well answered already but V3.0 will up the ante here with third party forces, such as hostile, friendly or neutral civilians. I'd still expect most scenarios to focus on more open areas for maneuver as it's more fun than MOUT in a crowded town with narrow streets but I think you may see more of that with V3 than we do today.

Number 7 - The Mission Editor allows up to 200 minutes with up to +/- 20% randomization, so a max of up to 240 minutes.

Number 8 - the game includes digital copies of a number of documents including the current manual. The manual is undergoing a full rewrite but isn't expected until later this year. There's also a lot of information on the forum and in the download library - Army Field Manuals, Tank manuals, etc.

Thanks for a lot of detail, especially from the perspective of me being a newbie. Some comments.

A) That is what attracts me to this product....I want something very realistic as long as it is still reasonable to understand and control.

B) No issue here....seems fine.

C) That's good it has some progression...where I think I will struggle most is commanding the entire side strategically and tactically. In some products, I simply get overwhelmed in having to control everything at once. Maybe a dumb question, but is the product pausable during action or all real time?

D) Although the price is higher than most, not a huge concern for me if I can get a lot of time out of it....I have bought a number of other products around the same price or higher:)

E) Pathing would be a concern for me, especially in your example. Hopefully in newer versions that improves especially for something like just moving over a bridge.

F) That's why I am here....strongly interested in it:) Just need to make sure it is something that I will like. Sounds like I might be able to get a demo license soon in order to finalize my decision.

G) Good to hear

H) I don't have any military background so this will be new to me, however, that is what I like about things, a chance to see how they really work.

Hey Grim Reaper. Let me see if I can give an impression of what I see in SBProPE.

A) first and foremost, this isn't a game, it's a high fidelity desk trainer for armies.. what this means is, the ammo, targeting, tactics command models are created to satisfy tanker teachers in a way that is true to form as compared to the actual training in the field

B) think of this game as a flight simulator in accuracy, but I think it needs to said that flight simulators have had a long history of being 'retail able' and as such, have more development dollars backing them.. Steel Beasts until very recent, has had one programmer.. the development is as fast as can be, and the changes are deliberate yet steady - for instance, many armies won't buy the latest and fastest PCs to keep pace with the software, so this keeps the game from becoming a graphic extravaganza

C) the game can be as easy or hard to play as you decide.. if you load up a mission requiring you to just gun from one tank, it would be easy.. easy in the sense that the switchology and mechanics of gunning can be, yet still difficult to be good at it.. easy to play, yet hard to master, like leading to drive a car, or being a winning driver in a F1 car - the game becomes much harder, when you advance to making tactical and strategic plans for controlling the units, and even harder as this is often done on-the-fly in the heat of battle

D) the cost of the game seems high, yet do know that it is updated quite often, and has been around for decades, so the value is great.. now and then a major update comes along, and eSim charges a small fee for that, which is awesome - the community isn't huge, they don't profit from the gamers, they make their money from the army contracts.. it's a real great thing that eSim even offers this sim to gamers, I imagine most sims as this are hidden away from the public!

E) unfortunately, there can be limits and errors in this sim that likely affect gamers more so than the military customers, and therefore aren't a priority to be fixed.. or possibly fixing them would break something else.. I'm only guessing, but the AI 'pathing' can be a frustration at times, such as simple tasks as crossing a bridge often has units getting stuck in a river.. also, due to the developmental limits, the performance of the game engine are 'tight'.. ideally a total rewrite of the engine now and then throughout the game's life cycle would be ideal, for instance taking advantage of multiple CPU cores

F) there is nothing else that compares to SBProPE.. this sim is totally distinct, and if you're slightly interested in what it offers, GET IT (period)

G) the mission / tactical planning is very thorough.. unit routing is really cool and the way they can be directed/programmed to move is amazing.. very logical with boolean operators

H) to really excel at this 'game', I'd guess that you need to really understand unit tactics, their limits, how they work together as a team-unit, logistics and resupply, and command... if you've been in the army, you're set to understand this game better, and a lot of the players have this experience.. I don't, and couldn't tell the difference from a batallion from a company.. unit map markings and the terminology involved is a bit overwhelming, yet if you research this stuff, then mastering this game is possible.. kind of like ARMA, to really do well and run with the big dogs, you gotta know your stuff - yet, as the community is small and very tight, they welcome all comers, and playing online is a joy, and if all you feel you can do is drive the tank and take direction from the tank commander, then you will have fun!

Anyways, I hope this response isn't taken anymore than just one person's opinion of what the game means to me. I've played it off and on since the original release of Steel Beasts, but consider myself a noob at it - totally! I don't play it enough, and blame my joystick and wish I had a gunners handles station to use (why can't the community come together and manufacture something affordable?). I download and play the easiest missions I can find, and have yet to join in on an online mission.

Snappy

D) Although the price is higher than most, not a huge concern for me if I can get a lot of time out of it....I have bought a number of other products around the same price or higher:)

Well that has been dealt with by these new "pay as you go" licenses.

Want to use it for a month, pay $X

Want to own it pay more than $X etc.

E) Pathing would be a concern for me, especially in your example. Hopefully in newer versions that improves especially for something like just moving over a bridge.

I think you will find this considerably improved over the current v2.654 with the addition of navmesh generation for each scenario file. This takes some time during the scenario design phase but only needs to be done once unless you change the map. This mesh then allows units of all types to navigate around obstacles more effectively. It's not perfect yet, as the units can still sometimes get in "dance mode" but it's a big step forward.

Well in my experience it isn't really an issue.

If you ask a Platoon to cross a bridge flat out in wedge formation then yes you'll have an issue.

If you:

1. Tell them to use the road

2. Give them a suitable formation (e.g. column) say a 100m short of the bridge, and

3. Get them to cross at a slow / medium pace then all is good.

• Members

A lot of replies have been given, but I saw that there are slight discrepancies or inaccuracies in the first answers; they may have already been discussed in this thread, I have yet to read everything... anyway, here's "the official answer":

1) How does the license upgrade process work for 3.0? If I buy the simulator now and then want to upgrade to version 3.0

We don't nag you for an upgrade, you have to visit our web shop on your own initiative and purchase the new license. The license will be made available as a "ticket" that you visit on a "depot" web page where you can start a process that will generate the new license in your CodeMeter stick. This requires a web browser with ActiveX enabled (Internet Explorer), or an up to date Java installation. The computer must have the CodeMeter stick plugged in, and the CodeMeter runtime software installed and running.

Alternatively "remote programming" is possible where none of these requirements are in place except that you still must have an internet connection, and a few additional preparatory steps are necessary.

Don't let yourself feel intimidated by this description. For most people it's "Follow the link, click "Activate", done."

I should point out that with version 3.0 there will also be the alternative to buy time-limited licenses (software rental) at $39.50 per year and no upgrade fees, ever. This option does not require a CodeMeter stick (!), and therefore no purchase of the current $75.- special offer version (which will be a regular $115.- after release). This may be an interesting alternative for those who do not like to make such a big initial investment (for whatever reason). Shorter and cheaper rental plans are available as well.

If you want to be absolutely sure, I recommend to wait until the $9.50 for a month test license is made available. We do not officially support Windows 8 because none of our testers (or anyone in the team, for all I know) has a gaming PC with Windows 8, so we can't personally verify that it works. Also, official statements about Win8 compliance require that Microsoft tests the software (for a fee), and there's the question how much extra effort would be necessary to be fully compliant (metro style icons seem to be the least of issues; touch screens simply aren't supported by SB Pro, which may be another obstacle).

For all I know however, since we are the rare bird of developer who actually adhere to Microsoft's design standards for multi-user Windows environments since we started working on SB Professional, installing under Win8 is no trouble (with the caveat that the CodeMeter runtime version 5.0 is required; SB Pro gets delivered with version 4.5).

So, for these reasons we do not make an official statement that it will work under Windows 8.

I haven't heard of problems however.

3) If you are playing the simulator as a tank commander in single player mode, does an AI platoon/company commander issue you specific objectives and commands to follow?

It depends on the mission design. Typically the mission orders would be given in the briefing and graphical OpPlan, some scenario designers will lso display short text messages during the mission to indicate directions from higher-up depending on your activities.

It is somewhat limited; don't expect every scenario to be like an interactive movie with seamless narrative.

Or do you just play lone wolf and do what you want?

Well, ultimately Steel Beasts is a bit of a sandbox game. As a true simulation it is non-judgmental about your actions, it simply calculates the result (for better or for worse). If you want to "win" a scenario, it will usually pay off to follow your mission orders. But if you don't care for the end result, you can just as well act like a destructive psychopath.

For example, will the AI commander tell me to attack a certain target, go to a certain location, defend this spot, recon this area, etc.

There is no "AI commander" ... but the mission designer will usually prepare his scenario for such a task. There are plenty of scenarios both included with the standard installation as well as available for download that cover the described spectrum, and more.

4) Does the simulator only support single missions? Or is there any kind of campaign feature available in the current version or the upcoming 3.0?

I suppose this is a good opportunity to confirm that there will be something like a campaign feature included with Steel Beasts Pro PE 3.0. We call it (small) Operations. An Operation is a string of scenarios - a mission tree - where you will be automatically presented the follow-on scenario after finishing a previous one.

SB Pro PE 3.0 will include at least one Operation, maybe two.

There are still limitations as far as carry-over effects are concerned. It is somewhat comparable to a traditional Officers' School exercise that is segmented into different phases which are each subject to (multiple) lessons about different aspects of the operation. Eventually, as an officer candidate, you will have to formulate certain tactical orders and OpPlans which may or may not be in line with "the official solution". At least during my time at the German Officers' School it wasn't relevant whether your solution was identical or even close to the official one, as long as you could give good reasons for your decisions (likewise, those who stole the official solution but didn't have good arguments to support it, weren't given good grades either).

However, even if the consensus in the classroom was that the official solution didn't make much sense, in the next phase of the operation it was assumed that that was what had happened.

Anyway, Steel Beasts Pro PE 3.0 will come with an integrated Operations Editor that allows you to string together scenarios (there must be one starting scenario, and from that you can then have multiple successor phases, which again can have multiple successors, including the same or previous scenarios. Eventually the operation will end with a last phase, of course.

You can resume an ongoing operation at a later point, but if I am not mistaken, you can only play one operation at a time or else the saves will be overwritten (also, you can't go back after completing a phase; if something goes horribly wrong you'll have to suck it up and roll with it).

There's a vast variety of mission goals. I'll leave it to the others to list them all. There aren't many limits to the mission designer' creativity.

We are gradually creeping into difficult terrain (like Finnish swamp forests, and now also villages and small cities). The obvious challenge is that villages and towns are more taxing on the computer hardware. An often overlooked issue is that urban operations are also the most complicated and demanding types of missions where the full spectrum of combined arm combat tactics are required in order to be successful. This not only overwhelms the player quickly, it is also very difficult to do the whole complexity justice as the mission designer.

I can but recommend to keep one' aspirations in check.

Nobody in the world can handle the full complexity of urban warfare at company...battalion scale while maintaining an open world concept for the player and without railroading him on a specific path with scripted events.

We won't give up the open world concept, therefore we acknowledge that there are limits to what can actually be achieved. Some first person shooters create an illusion of large battles in urban theaters, but even then you usually have only a handful of supporting computer buddies around you, and severe limitations to where you can go, and when, and what you may do and try.

"Official" scenarios are aimed at the 45..90 minute bracket. It is difficult to get a shorter mission going with still a meaningful tactical element AND some realism, anything more than 120 minutes is usually beyond what people with a life can actually do even on a long evening. This may change a bit in the future since it is now possible to save a mission in progress, so longer scenarios may emerge over time.

That is a very safe assumption. :)

Thanks Snnake for all the additional detail, especially the news about operations....that sounds very nice. I have been playing the demo most of the night, mainly in the tutorials. Really enjoying it so far and I haven't even really played any missions yet. Its even just cool watching the vehicles move since they are so detailed.....

I have only had one minor issue so far that I can't figure out related to sound....sometimes all of a sudden my sound level will drastically decrease where I can barely hear it. Prior to that it is normal and just happens randomly. I know my sound system is fine since I don't experience with any other game. I'll see if it continues, hopefully something just happening tonight.

I just wanted to personally thank Gibsonm for getting me up on the demo so quickly...I have installed everything and now happily moving through the tutorials....excellent service and support!

All good (imagine if they paid me ;)).

Re the sound, do you have other things running in the background?

Also you may well hear the volume drop if you go from outside the turret (F8) to inside (F6 or F7)?

In relation to the sounds....no other programs currently running. The sound drops when in the same view. For example, created a route and was just watching from external view as the tanks followed it.....somewhere along the route, it started to decrease from the same view. Not a deal breaker since I can still faintly hear it.

Had another question regarding routes. Is there a way to create a route that automatically had the tanks follow roads that are close to it or do you have to precisely create a route that follows the road yourself? Love the route feature, really nice idea.

All good (imagine if they paid me ;)).

Re the sound, do you have other things running in the background?

Also you may well hear the volume drop if you go from outside the turret (F8) to inside (F6 or F7)?

Had another question regarding routes. Is there a way to create a route that automatically had the tanks follow roads that are close to it or do you have to precisely create a route that follows the road yourself? Love the route feature, really nice idea.

No you need to create the route "manually".

However, you can:

1. Press the shift key and as long as the route you plot is near the road, the software will "snap to" the road, so you don't need to zoom right in to create the route.

2. You can also create an "independent route" that several units will follow instead of creating duplicate routes that follow the same road.

Right click on the map (not a unit)

Select create a waypoint

A "X" will appear on the map

Right click on the "X" and create a route that starts from the "X".

Use the Shift key to make sure the route stays on the Road

When finished click again (like you would with a unit) and the route should now be on the screen, but not associated with any unit.

This will be the single route that any unit sent to the initial waypoint will follow, so a common route for the convoy.

Now go back to each convoy member (this time clicking on the unit) and create a route from the unit symbol to the initial waypoint, "X".

When you run it each unit will travel the short distance from its initial location to the waypoint and then they will all travel the common route.

So you don't need to create a bunch of unique routes (one per unit) that covers the entire convoy route.