Questions about 3.0 Ask the Boss.

Marko

Yes you might have “road works” in a security ops type scenario, but in a conventional war scenario the council workers are now refugees (I suspect they would not continue to run a stop / go work site with tanks and artillery nearby).

Unless you're in Syria, where tank battles are just part of your morning commute. :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe some kind of sound source you place in the mission editor, with options for sounds played, and how often and maybe even the ability to chance the options with scripting.

ie, place sound source in a small town producing regular habitation noise, script an event so that if any military units enter a zone around the town it changes to almost silent with just the odd dog barking and doors slamming.

IMHO ambient sounds would add to the 'game' immersion factor (although I'm not personally bothered as being of a certain age I am fitted with the 'imagination' module that was a standard fit on pre-1960 human beings), but I doubt it would have any value to eSims core market of the RL military, and thus not worth even thinking about.

IMHO ambient sounds would add to the 'game' immersion factor (although I'm not personally bothered as being of a certain age I am fitted with the 'imagination' module that was a standard fit on pre-1960 human beings), but I doubt it would have any value to eSims core market of the RL military, and thus not worth even thinking about.

Where can one obtain this "Imagination Module"?? :)

It "should" have use as a "Combat Indicator" (Along with sheep (They run away from strange happenings), cows (They tend to like a good look at something strange), goats (I think they are a combination) etc.

Also Small Birds emitting Alarm calls and/or shutting up.

maybe some kind of sound source you place in the mission editor, with options for sounds played, and how often and maybe even the ability to chance the options with scripting.

ie, place sound source in a small town producing regular habitation noise, script an event so that if any military units enter a zone around the town it changes to almost silent with just the odd dog barking and doors slamming.

That's pretty much what i was thinking hoggy.

If we had the option to edit sounds and place them in a individual building in the mission Editor And have say midday prayers from a mosque.

The current sounds in SB are good but its the little extra sounds that add to the immersion

Like currently when you call in a airstrike, I always enjoy the sound of the jets passing Over.

I suppose in the greater scheme of things you could say its not as important then things Like AI behavior, game play/ graphics.

I will put it on the wish list for version 3.5.LoL

Nope, i doubt any crew hears anything outside the vehicle unless its really loud...

however SB is no longer just an armour sim and with what we have seen so far of 3.0, infantry ops are going to be more involving. Now i expect a well experienced patrol commander pays quite a bit of attention to the ambient noise in an area, not to mention recon units, mechanized or not!

personally I can not remember the last time I played a scenario where I was purely in a tank, most of the time i am jumping from one vehicle to another and sound is most definitely a tool used by the savvy recon commander.

Nope, i doubt any crew hears anything outside the vehicle unless its really loud...

however SB is no longer just an armour sim and with what we have seen so far of 3.0, infantry ops are going to be more involving. Now i expect a well experienced patrol commander pays quite a bit of attention to the ambient noise in an area, not to mention recon units, mechanized or not!

personally I can not remember the last time I played a scenario where I was purely in a tank, most of the time i am jumping from one vehicle to another and sound is most definitely a tool used by the savvy recon commander.

I remember when we had a training exercise in UKArmour where we switched off are engines

And just listened noting what direction and trying to identify what type of vehicle we could Hear. And a very useful exercise it was too.

As we are unable to dismount are tanks currently, Sound is a very useful tool

If you want to stay in cover.

Is it possible to streamline the movement keys so that one key controls all movements in the tank.So your in TC position and you look up till crosshair is out of tank and press the movement key and you move up.You want to move down into tank then you look down and press same key.Want to look into optic then press on it and you press same key if you want to back of of optic.Would add a fluidity feel to sitting in the TC position.It will also remove the lost feeling you sometimes get in regards to the Lmouse button.

Is it possible to streamline the movement keys so that one key controls all movements in the tank.

Sure.

You can do this now, no need to wait for 3.0.

Just change the “control“ template in your copy.

No idea if it will work though as the software (regardless of version) wont know if you want to go “fully up” or “down” if you are say midway, etc.

Is it possible to streamline the movement keys so that one key controls all movements in the tank.So your in TC position and you look up till crosshair is out of tank and press the movement key and you move up.You want to move down into tank then you look down and press same key.Want to look into optic then press on it and you press same key if you want to back of of optic.Would add a fluidity feel to sitting in the TC position.It will also remove the lost feeling you sometimes get in regards to the Lmouse button.

Hmmm, I don't think I would want to have to do this, just adds extra time and key strokes to moving (clicking Lmouse button to go into mouse pan mode, pan up with the mouse then pressing Q vs just pressing Q, or D etc). and you already can access the optics for the crew station with a single mouse click currently anyway, why change it?

Sure, if you're listening for other vehicles which you can already do in SB. To me the ambient sounds are irrelevant and don't deserve the time and attention that would be required to implement them to the level requested.

Well that's your opinion. :(

I disagree.

Sure, if you're listening for other vehicles which you can already do in SB. To me the ambient sounds are irrelevant and don't deserve the time and attention that would be required to implement them to the level requested.

Dude saying ambient sounds are irrelevant when listening for other vehicles is like saying trees and buildings are irrelevant when LOOKING for other vehicles.

Dude saying ambient sounds are irrelevant when listening for other vehicles is like saying trees and buildings are irrelevant when LOOKING for other vehicles.

Yes, but ambient sounds are only going to make listening for other vehicles more difficult. And I really don't need that. Surely this is a military operations simulator, not a whole life experience simulator?

Yes, but ambient sounds are only going to make listening for other vehicles more difficult. And I really don't need that. Surely this is a military operations simulator, not a whole life experience simulator?

We already have some nature sounds currently implemented.

What I was inquiring about was town/city sounds Tjay.

As hoggy has stated there is going to be a bigger focus on infantry operations in 3.0

Agreed ambient sounds are mostly cosmetic but if we had a wide range of them available.

If you could script them, Lets Say UK Armour were on a peacekeeping mission in a hostile Environment A large crowd of angry villagers were pissed off.

And the sound of the crowd was getting louder and louder then you hear shots fired in to The air. That would be a good indication some thing is going to kick off.

And give you time to react. call in reinforcement etc.

Tacbat is correct in his statement about it being a lot to implement.

And for now the development Team has more important priority's but it would be an Excellent feature for future Versions of SB.

I bet you could fake this in SB. Take a vehicle that isn't used in your scenario and place it in town, hidden within a square of buildings or barriers such that it can't be seen nor escape. Set it on a route outside the square that it can't ever reach so it's running, then replace that vehicle's engine sound with an ambient clip. You'd want to be able to switch the sound mod in and out with something like JSGME.

Long term, you'd probably want an invisible sound player object that could be scripted to turn on when players are within its range of sound region and maybe be able to change its sound file based on SB events and conditions. Though I haven't used it yet, I believe VBS2 does something like this for ambient sound support.

:drink: I'm in agreement with Tjay and Tacbat on this one. Let's not forget the core purpose of the simulation. We'll use our imaginations for the rest.

I bet you could fake this in SB. Take a vehicle that isn't used in your scenario and place it in town, hidden within a square of buildings or barriers such that it can't be seen nor escape. Set it on a route outside the square that it can't ever reach so it's running, then replace that vehicle's engine sound with an ambient clip. You'd want to be able to switch the sound mod in and out with something like JSGME.

Long term, you'd probably want an invisible sound player object that could be scripted to turn on when players are within its range of sound region and maybe be able to change its sound file based on SB events and conditions. Though I haven't used it yet, I believe VBS2 does something like this for ambient sound support.

Good idea. You could also use that to script all kinds of sounds, music, anouncments etc. will have to try that out.

As hoggy has stated there is going to be a bigger focus on infantry operations in 3.0

Says who?

It certainly will have more options for Infantry modelling but this only comes into play if the scenario designer wants to do infantry work and you choose to play their scenario.

If you want to do more Infantry operations, no one is stopping you, but it can still be just vehicle centric if you want it to be.

Says who?

It certainly will have more options for Infantry modelling but this only comes into play if the scenario designer wants to do infantry work and you choose to play their scenario.

If you want to do more Infantry operations, no one is stopping you, but it can still be just vehicle centric if you want it to be.

Spoken like a true armoured corps officer. Gibsonm. LoL

Well I suppose like most SB users the members of UK Armour and SVU.

Have discussed the possibilities for mission design when 3.0 is released and infantry Operations are high on The agenda. For us anyway