Online Play and Virtual Units poll

hoggydog

How do you play SB Pro PE online?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play SB Pro PE online?

• I play regularly and am a member of a current VU
    • I play regularly but am not a member of a current VU
    • I infrequently play online but still consider myself a member of a current VU
    • I infrequently play online and am not a member of a current VU
    • I have never played SB Pro online

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played "Beasts" years ago online and would love to again . My problem lies , not in the times, but the ability to connect. I went as far as buying a port forwarding program (a waste of 30 bucks). I was on teamspeak with some poor souls trying to help me but they all told me to do all the things I had already done. Thanks again to those who spent time with me that could have been in game. I upgraded to the highest high speed my ISP provides. had them come and hoped the tech could give me a clue what I am doing wrong. This I did for weeks after pro pe came out and I eventually gave up.

So i understand some of the frustrations about ease of online play with SB espeacially when I see my kid kicking ass in call of duty on her playstation 3 with no problems. Next week I am getting a gaming computer donated to me from one of my rich friends hopefully that will solve my problem

Well the other option is to use something like Hamachi and bypass the whole port forwarding thing. :)

However be warned that this convenience is offset by some loss in performance.

will that performance loss be felt only by me or would it affect the game for other players as well?

How about setting up some sessions specifically for newbies like myself? A veteran could guide us through all the steps to get logged in and set up, go over the procedures of playing on line. Review etiquette and rules of on line playing. And, run through a short but illustrative battle or two. Maybe make it a regular thing. I know it would make me feel a lot more comfortable about playing on line and suspect other newbies would appreciate it too.

Just my $0.02US worth.

UKA always welcomes newbies - and we do our best to accommodate all levels of expertise and experience. For example, we have run addition training sessions on the CR2 and basic tactics. We always recommend getting in some offline practice first, and then we'll usually give you a single vehicle, tuck you under the wing of a platoon leader, and often arrange for the two of you to have a TS 'whisper' channel so 'hints and tips' chat doesn't clog up the operational frequency. Progress from there to section leader and platoon leader is usually quite rapid. Questions on etiquette and stuff like port forwarding are done 'out of game' on TS.

I'll make it easy for you "new players" looking for online game sessions. 3rd Armor is present in the SB ts3 channel just about 24/7 usually from 8am to upto 3am weekdays and weekends,can accomadate large group sessions and multiple connection types ie Hamachi.We have members from all diffent times zones and are well versed in trouble shooting SB connection issues.We run the entire gambit of gameplay styles as well as run other mainstream simulations(DCS,ARMA and others).Our most favored style of play is head to head with our spanish comrades 3 tizona which will probably get ramped up when 3.0 is released.

I thought it was a steel beasts teamspeak server.

Well, you and Pii are welcome to come and play online with the 3rd Armor, there is no commitment to this VU. We like to play different games from time to time but our main choice is SB. Infact we did 4 Coop missions yesterday. We also play on Friday nights along with the others.

I played "Beasts" years ago online and would love to again . My problem lies , not in the times, but the ability to connect. I went as far as buying a port forwarding program (a waste of 30 bucks). I was on teamspeak with some poor souls trying to help me but they all told me to do all the things I had already done. Thanks again to those who spent time with me that could have been in game. I upgraded to the highest high speed my ISP provides. had them come and hoped the tech could give me a clue what I am doing wrong. This I did for weeks after pro pe came out and I eventually gave up.

So i understand some of the frustrations about ease of online play with SB espeacially when I see my kid kicking ass in call of duty on her playstation 3 with no problems. Next week I am getting a gaming computer donated to me from one of my rich friends hopefully that will solve my problem

Unfortunately getting a new gaming computer is not going to solve your problem unless your current computer has some strange software failure, one which I have never heard of before. (If that were the case, a back up and correct, clean reinstall would fix the problem.) In all the cases in which I have helped people get online in Steel Beasts or other games, the problem is always the same: their ports were not forwarded correctly. In all cases where I could not resolve the problem, it was because the ports could not be forwarded. This is usually due to the person being on a connection and/or router which they do not own and therefore do not have control of or physical access to.

I've helped plenty of people sort out their problems and although the sample size isn't exactly statistically significant, I'm still going to have to politely suggest to you that your issue is exactly the same as the one everyone else I've met has had: your ports are not open and forwarded to the correct computer in the network.

These days I simply insist that people I help use a program like TeamViewer or Join.me so that I can see what they are doing. I've never failed to get someone's ports forwarded this way, excepting that port forwarding was physically impossible (e.g. they do not have control of their connection's router for some reason).

Anyway, I'm only saying all this because I'd be happy to help you get Steel Beasts working online. It's always good to have more people around. (Someone, probably dta delta, will now kick me for not having been around for the past few months.) I will be very surprised if I cannot get it working for you. Just private message me here with a date/time (and time zone!) and I'll meet you on the Steel Beasts TeamSpeak server.

P.S. Hamachi is the devil. :-x

Just private message me here with a date/time (and time zone!) and I'll meet you on the Steel Beasts TeamSpeak server.

Same here.

Usually its a good investment of 30 mins or so.

P.S. Hamachi is the devil. :-x

Never said it wasn't. ;)

But if its "needs must" (e.g. Router doesn't support port forwarding or the user can't access it) then Hamachi is better than nothing.

ok is it possible to use 2 different machines? on for coms and one for game

Yes, just buy two licenses.

From memory though you can run two instances on the same machine (using different IP addresses) but this is usually if you have two screens, with one instance on one screen and the other instance on the second.

Just read your PM.

The information above relates to Steel Beasts (i.e. one copy of Steel Beasts for comms [rolling text, etc.] and another for the game).

IF you mean run Teamspeak on one machine and Steel Beasts on another - sure that will work, but then you will have issues with sound (esp. if you are using one headset to try and hear both the audio off the teamspeak machine and the in game sounds from the Steel Beasts machine).

Awesome thanx for your promt answer Gibsomn actually the game running on external speakers and teamspeak through a headset would not be unlike reality with the cvc helmet if I cant get my new rig to portforward I may try this as I think it would work better than the Hamachi fix