It's real...it's Bekibekibekistan!

cata

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 31/08/2016 at 1:56 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

I've already started the conversion. I'm about 40% complete with map markings based on the map posted by Cata, and slowly looking to replace some of the buildings with the new 4.0 middle eastern buildings. 

Looking forward to seeing your results :) This looks like a great map.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Once that the new terrain engine will make it your way - not next week, but later this year - there'll be suitable subdirectories in map-specific folders.

All future maps will receive their own folder, which should make handling equally convenient (rather than handling a file you'd handle a folder, but otherwise it's not terrifyingly different). One of the options is to have custom artwork included with the map, so you don't have to apply a mod that changes the terrain-specific artwork in every map.

Our implementation of this feature was a direct result of the initial work that had been poured into this project, so you can thank Cata for this (...and our programmers, of course). :)

• Members

Maybe, but it's offset by the "height" and "terrain" folders going away, and all the individual files that they contain. Plus, you will be able to install them in a location other than C:\ProgramData. In fact, the maps will come with a separate installer which should help both in disk management, and when updating the software without touching the maps.

• Members

We'll have to compromise on that one. For a while, the old map editor will have to do (with a few new features).

At a later point - much later than planned, I'm afraid to say - we'll replace the integrated editor with a standalone program, and to be honest, I'm skeptical that we'll still see it before version 5. BUT: The new terrain engine will come with adequate support, feature-wise, to take advantage of some new capability. The focus is on what you need to convert legacy maps, and to improve them.

All that, however, is something to discuss in June. Before that we'll have another update for you. I'm currently working on the Release Notes.

I for one love the ability to fight battles from within the editor, testing out both sides, seeing battles unfold from both sides. Double checking things on the fly.  I'll miss that feature if you take it away from us with the  stand alone editor.

Los