Virtual Private Networks

Lt DeFault

There's a relatively new VPN service called ProXPN that allows you to pick an "exit node" from a list of servers in the following cities:

Dallas

Los Angeles

Seattle

New York City

London

Amsterdam

Singapore

This way, it will appear that your connection originates in the country of your choosing, effectively allowing you to bypass restrictions based on your locality.

No matter where you live or travel to, the sites and services you depend on are always available using your proXPN Premium Account. By re-directing your internet traffic through our global server network, censorship and regional content restrictions are bypassed seamlessly.

Use promo code "SN20" to get 20% off for the life of your account. (Credit to "Security Now" podcast.)

• Members

Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve with this advertising...?

If it really is just about privacy, I have to say that VPNs can no longer be considered to be as safe as they were once thought to be. TOR on the other hand is free, with sufficient hops it will disguise your location (and identity, WRT cookies and such) better, but of course it adds a lot of latency to your web browsing, which makes it clumsy and inconvenient.

Can't have it both.

Didn't mean for it to sound like an ad, sorry.

My point was that, from time to time, links are posted here in the forum and elsewhere that are only accessible to certain regions. TOR is great, I've used it a few times...but AFAIK, you can't specify where your "exit node" will be. So, if I want to view a link that is only available in the UK, with this service I could specify an "exit node" in London and voila. I don't work for them...just thought I'd share the promo if anyone was interested.

As for privacy, the only thing I trust is TNO*! ;)

*Trust No One

Didn't mean for it to sound like an ad, sorry.

My point was that, from time to time, links are posted here in the forum and elsewhere that are only accessible to certain regions. TOR is great, I've used it a few times...but AFAIK, you can't specify where your "exit node" will be. So, if I want to view a link that is only available in the UK, with this service I could specify an "exit node" in London and voila. I don't work for them...just thought I'd share the promo if anyone was interested.

As for privacy, the only thing I trust is TNO*! ;)

*Trust No One

Not even yourself?

(That could be inconvenient.)

:)