Multiplayer: 4000+ tanks in one battle!

Skybird03

Okay, not really tanks, but am I no longer allowed to dream or what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23489293

Just imagine. 4000 tanks, online. :eek2:

Youtube has some videos of it. Frame for frame the event moved on, a description you really can take literally. :biggrin:

that's a lottt of ships!

count 3 players a tank, that makes 12000 players ;)

Must have been a time dilation festival of note.

EVE however works a bit differently - combat works on 'cycle times' of weapons and modules, and moving is more strategic than tactical (ie you can't 'dodge' shells, the hits/misses are calculated server side, so you move for angular rate of change or distance) - still, it's pretty impressive what they do with EVE on a single 'shard' (although it is of course run across multiple physical machines).

Also, when huge fleet fights like the example started happening more frequently, it was a MASSIVE lag fest - hence the introduction of 'time dilation', where 'time' slows down to counter lag. TiDi varies with potential lag, so a small fight is ok, but as soon as the system thinks you'll lag, 'time' starts slowing down. Hardly practical for real time tank combat.

I'm an EVE noob (despite playing for years!), but the above should be roughly correct.

Don't know how it was, but I took part to the 1000 players online world record.

On paper it's sounded awesome.

In reality that was pure crap. The map was more than just tiny (or if it was big, it was impossible to see it because you were spawnkilled... simply because you were spawning in front of the enemy), the action was more than confused because you spawn and get killed 3 secondes later...

Here a little video of it :

So this is the game you pay real money for different craft. Imagine SB that way! Pay a few thousand for a platoon or company tanks. Every battle would be a sitzkrieg.

There are plenty of ways to pay for things, including buying "PLEX" which you can sell on the in game market. Some people engage in resource gathering, others industry, others look for sites or do missions, others play the market, some steal or scam, others loot wrecks after fights, others are mercs/extortionists. I used to salvage wrecks and occasionally did trade from safe areas to out law areas.

There are plenty of ways to pay for things, including buying "PLEX" which you can sell on the in game market. Some people engage in resource gathering, others industry, others look for sites or do missions, others play the market, some steal or scam, others loot wrecks after fights, others are mercs/extortionists. I used to salvage wrecks and occasionally did trade from safe areas to out law areas.

My buddy is part of a wormhole corp. As long as he participates in events/pvp, etc. he can claim a portion of the weekly payout. He then buys a 30-day license and plays the game for free.