Can't fire gun in manual mode

wolfstriked

I don't know if its a bug on my end or I am just lost,and I feel its the latter.I had changed my controls a large amount but changed back to default to see if it was the cause of the issue and I also have joystick chosen.When I play the tutorial(manual control in the M1A1)I enter mission and switch to manual mode and the palm switch off light appears at top.I can only lase and fire the weapon in emergency mode.

I am also confused as to why the manual firing mode is even there.In all the tanks I have tried the manual mode tutorial its better to just leave it in the normal mode or emergency mode as the range finder works.Why would you actually need top put the FCS into manual mode?:confused:

Didn't work.Also,I noticed that when I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game it still had my career info stored.I did erase the Esims folder in my documents so I have no idea how that info was still on my PC.Anyone know how to erase all user info of Steel Beasts?

Yes - assuming you really want to lose it?

The idea is this information carries forward as you install upgrades, etc.

Next question what operating system are you running?

Under Windows 7 on my machine the path is:

C:\Users\mark\AppData\Roaming\eSim Games\Steel Beasts

Presumably you replace "mark" with something else.

But pretty sure deleting this wont fix your problem.

• Members

Yes, it's described in the user manual in chapter 2, the boring stuff about the file structure. ;)

Files that are user-created or user-modified do not get uninstalled by any uninstaller (they simply are supposed to be like that).

Manual mode should normally be "-" (normal mode ",", emergency mode being ".", and manual to the right of that). In manual mode the palm switch should be irrelevant, therefore I'm surprised that you see anything coming up in the first place. All you need in manual mode are the arrow keys and the space bar, and you better use the auxiliary sight anyway because you can't rely on proper alignment of the primary sight anyway (which is the only place where the "palm switch off" message would be displayed at all).

The Actually Abrams can fire in manual mode with the Commander's or Gunner's palms pressed. Just you will not have no turret or gun movement, Turret and Gun movement would all have to be done manually by the Gunner. Manual Mode does not cut of the trigger circuitry. The only Fire inhibits that cut off the trigger circuitry is the driver's hatch being open, the super elevation or tracking error is too great,Gun Select Switch is in Trigger Safe and Main Gun lever not in the armed position. The Manual firing device ( Master Blaster ) in the Gunner's station primary role is if the Tank would lose it turret power. The Manual Firing Device only fires the Main Gun and will bypass the trigger circuitry.

Removed all data in my documents and reinstalled SB and its the same.I still have "palm switch off" light in manual mode for both GPS and GAS and hence cannot fire weapon.Also,I turned on mouse vector line recently and cant turn it off permanently anymore.I can turn it off in a mission but when I start a new session its back on.:cul:

I am not sure if I should post this as a bug,if its just on my end or if its intended behavior.Where before I only noticed the "palm switch off" light would show in the GAS in the M1A1.Now I notice the turret override light is there for the TC in positions that it should not be.I see the "turret override" icon in the CWS sight but even worse when I am unbuttoned and press the palm switch key it also shows floating in mid air.This allows me to move the turret onto targets while standing fully up.I can also fire the weapon while unbuttoned in TC position.It doesn't happen in the Leopard tanks but does in a few other vehicles where you can unbutton and slew gunner onto targets and also fire turret if you hold down the palm switch.

Can someone verify if its only on my side.Get in an M1A1 TC's position and unbutton and press the palm switch key and see if you see the palm switch off light come on.I really would appreciate it.:biggrin:

Not sure about the M1, but a similar thing happens for me in the Leo1. If, as the TC, I lock the periscope to the gun, the indicator persists even when unbuttoned and standing up out of the turret.

Indicators are tied to the "Realism" Setting.

The higher the setting the less useful widgets you have.

I never noticed that on easy you also get on screen indicators for fire mode and LRF first/last. I wonder if the palm switch and overrride indicators are actually supposed to be disabled as well on high realism?

Other things you gain on lower realism settings are a crosshair when overriding, a LRF mark on the map, and the ability to "tag" a spot on the map with the shift key, and dots on the tank "compass" that indicate the direction to map reference marks.

Edited by Rotareneg

Not sure about the M1, but a similar thing happens for me in the Leo1. If, as the TC, I lock the periscope to the gun, the indicator persists even when unbuttoned and standing up out of the turret.

Edit: Sorry, I meant the Leo 2.

Also, I can confirm the aforementioned M1A1 behavior on my end and that my realism setting is on "high".

• Moderators
I am not sure if I should post this as a bug,if its just on my end or if its intended behavior.Where before I only noticed the "palm switch off" light would show in the GAS in the M1A1.Now I notice the turret override light is there for the TC in positions that it should not be.I see the "turret override" icon in the CWS sight but even worse when I am unbuttoned and press the palm switch key it also shows floating in mid air.This allows me to move the turret onto targets while standing fully up.I can also fire the weapon while unbuttoned in TC position.It doesn't happen in the Leopard tanks but does in a few other vehicles where you can unbutton and slew gunner onto targets and also fire turret if you hold down the palm switch.

Can someone verify if its only on my side.Get in an M1A1 TC's position and unbutton and press the palm switch key and see if you see the palm switch off light come on.I really would appreciate it.:biggrin:

Yes, that is correct, you are supposed to be able to fire the gun from the unbuttoned view. The TC on the M1A1 has a joystick and often he overrides the gunner while looking out of the hatch -- "from the hip" so to speak. As for the indicators, it has to do with the realism levels.

Yes, that is correct, you are supposed to be able to fire the gun from the unbuttoned view. The TC on the M1A1 has a joystick and often he overrides the gunner while looking out of the hatch -- "from the hip" so to speak. As for the indicators, it has to do with the realism levels.

Thanks again Volcano.I have noticed the two handles up high in TC position before but just thought they were for the unused function of firing the .50caliber when unbuttoned.As for the palm switch/TC override showing on screen no matter what view you have,I have it on high.

• Moderators
Thanks again Volcano.I have noticed the two handles up high in TC position before but just thought they were for the unused function of firing the .50caliber when unbuttoned.As for the palm switch/TC override showing on screen no matter what view you have,I have it on high.

Unfortunately, I still don't understand the question about the on screen message though. Can you restate the issue?

Just wondering though: do you have your control set to Joystick or Control Handles?

Unfortunately, I still don't understand the question about the on screen message though. Can you restate the issue?

Just wondering though: do you have your control set to Joystick or Control Handles?

When in the M1A1 at TC position and I press the palm switch I see the red "override on" button in top middle of screen.I see it in the GPSextension,GAS,eye view,unbuttoned and standing up etc.Then the gunners "palm switch off" red button in upper middle of screen when I press the palm switch button in the GPS and the GAS but not the eye view for gunners position.Also,Rotareneg mentioned that the red buttons at top center of screen maybe should not be there when your in high difficulty.

As for setting the control type it happens in either joystick or control handles.

It only is displayed there if your Realism settings in the options menu is on low. If you set it to High you will not see this box. Rotareneg might be right I know its one of the 2. I never use it so I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly it was when I put mouse vector to on that these odd behaviors started happening.Suddenly the icons started appearing and also I cant turn off mouse vector permanently.When I restart a mission the mouse vector is back.That doesn't bother me though as it really does help in aiming.

I started thinking that if I can permanently delete my documents folder it would clear this issue up.Deleted,then deleted recycle bin and reinstalled SB and all my history is still there.Come to find that no one online knows how to do this.I downloaded a bunch of programs that were made to delete with certainty and still my documents is still there.:cul:

If I remember correctly it was when I put mouse vector to on that these odd behaviors started happening.Suddenly the icons started appearing and also I cant turn off mouse vector permanently.When I restart a mission the mouse vector is back.That doesn't bother me though as it really does help in aiming.

I started thinking that if I can permanently delete my documents folder it would clear this issue up.Deleted,then deleted recycle bin and reinstalled SB and all my history is still there.Come to find that no one online knows how to do this.I downloaded a bunch of programs that were made to delete with certainty and still my documents is still there.:cul:

This is suppose to happen when you use your mouse.