Observer view tank behavior - random turret movement

mstram

It seems that when switching to observer view, tank turrets start randomly "scanning" ?

What (if anything) is this behavior modelling ?

I've searched the manual / wiki / forum for "observer", haven't found this behavior described.

What (if anything) is this behavior modelling ?

Guess what: scanning!

Thats what you usually do: constantly observe the surrounding terrain to check for something that might shoot you.

If you are not in the TC/gunner seat, the AI will take over and do the scanning.

Guess what: scanning!

Thats what you usually do: constantly observe the surrounding terrain to check for something that might shoot you.

If you are not in the TC/gunner seat, the AI will take over and do the scanning.

Thx, that's what I thought.

IMO the a.i. should not be doing anything with any vehicle that has been "jumped to" / under player control.

I was trying to use the observer position to .. uh .. observe .. the gun barrel elevation after manually changing the range.

I think your getting confused that you are taking over the observers position.Observer means you can view tank from outside to look at the pretty picture.While we are on observer topic can someone enlighten me as to why I cant go to observer position at times.

In some scenarios the "observer position" is disabled in order to make the scenario "more realistic". After all the "F8-view" gives you a better field of view and a higher observation point then you would have in real life.

Thx, that's what I thought.

IMO the a.i. should not be doing anything with any vehicle that has been "jumped to" / under player control.

I was trying to use the observer position to .. uh .. observe .. the gun barrel elevation after manually changing the range.

That will not work really, as soon as you are in observer view, the game does not count you as crew of that tank anymore (you are outside after all ;-) ). The AI will then take over again and eventually change the range set, right after you have "left" the TC seat.

...you could damage all crew except the driver. That way, when you hop in and change the barrel elevation, it won't move when you hop back into the observer's position.

You need to leave the TC undamaged to be able to access the turret. Also, If there is a target within view, the TC will still move the turret into alignment with it.