New recruit with a lot of questions

Colebrook

Hi,i have just donwloaded the demo few days ago.Some questions(and sorry for my english,im using google translator):

-How do you distinguish between destroyed vehicles and unbroken ones?,if destroyed vehicles dont explode or set on fire there is no real diference betwwen them.And thermal sight doesnt work, destroyed vehicles remain hot,why?,is this a bug?,its going to get corrected?

-There is big advantage using joystick instead mouse?

-All types of forests can be crossed with tanks?, this seems so unrealistic.

-Should i buy the game now,or better wait for 3.0 version?

-Does online game still active? How many players still play online?

I have much more question but i dont remember, i will post more later, thx.

Hi,i have just donwloaded the demo few days ago.Some questions(and sorry for my english,im using google translator):

-How do you distinguish between destroyed vehicles and unbroken ones?,if destroyed vehicles dont explode or set on fire there is no real diference betwwen them.And thermal sight doesnt work, destroyed vehicles remain hot,why?,is this a bug?,its going to get corrected?

I have much more question but i dont remember, i will post more later, thx.

1.: There are "safe" and "unsafe" signs a vehicle is disabled.

-it does not move

-or shoot at you

saver is:

It is burning or missing its turret

Destroyed vehicles stay hot as it takes long time to cool down...and if the are burning, they are hot anyway.

2.: as the "terrain" designer you can make forests in a way they become a tank obstacle..use soft terrain or rock...and of you go. The trees modeled in SB anyway are nowwhere near beeing thick or dense enough to stop a tank. So: they don't look like a tank obstacle. In my p.o.v. it is MORE realistc that then they ARE none.

3.: Buying now is a save option: 2.6xx-currentdiscount+update=version 3.0(same price). So, no $ risk for you

4.: Online play is a bit down right now...seem like everyone is holding their breath for 3.0. UK-armour play regularly at GMT times. Friday night games are still up a US-times and the aussies regularly play BGANZAC missions.- You can counbt on the big community campains restarting after the update release

Destroyed vehicles if they are not burning or missing a turret will have their main gun at maximum depression. Sadly there is no ambiguity when it comes to such things. As regards thermals, you have 30-60+ tons of metal, it takes a while for it to heat up or cool off. Beyond that I don't thing such things are modeled in the sim for that reason.

About forests, I think that is a limitation with the game engine, trees cannot be placed closer together than they currently are. But you can have the bumpiness level increased which will make things slower going and possibly more hazardious for fast movement through them. Even without the bumpiness there is the risk of killing crew or damaging components if you run into a tree.

Online play is still active, there are a few organized and semi-organized groups, along with community events.

Destroyed vehicles if they are not burning or missing a turret will have their main gun at maximum depression. ..

would not be true for all vehicles IRL, depends on how the guns is mounted (equilibrium at the gun "wiege"(don't know the english word))

So some barrels might just stay where they are when hydrauliks or power are lost...;-)

The trees modeled in SB anyway are nowwhere near beeing thick or dense enough to stop a tank. So: they don't look like a tank obstacle. In my p.o.v. it is MORE realistc that then they ARE none.

I think your wrong that no trees in SB can stop a tank?Yesterday I ran full speed into a tree and my driver,loader and gunner went out of commission from the tank coming to abrupt stop.

• Members

As other have hinted before, it is quite intentional. "Silent kills" aren't uncommon and often result in overexpenditure of ammunition, which is arguably an important factor in ammo logistics.

So, we don't intend to "fix" this. Quite the contrary, with version 3.0 we have toned down the speed with which guns will drop (or raise) after a kill.

No, it's purely a matter of taste / personal preference, I'd say.

It depends on what terrain theme is being applied to the scenario. Forests can be made impossible to navigate with a tank. That said, tanks usually work better in forests than people tend to believe. If the trees are so densely grouped that they cannot be avoided, they are usually so thin that the tank will crush them. If a tree is so strong that it cannot be tipped over (or cut with the vehicle's bow), typically the trees are so far apart from each other that you can pass through between them. Either way, the trees are not necessarily the obstacle. Only if several trees entangle with each other they may create a blockade that will withstand repeated attempts to push it aside.

Then there is the possibility of big boulders strewn in the forest to make it impassable, or that the ground is so soft that vehicles sink in and may get bogged down. Either effect can be achieved by setting a scenario's terrain theme's ground clutter elements and mobility parameters for each terrain type.

It depends. If you think of buying only time-limited licenses because you don't expect to play Steel Beasts for more than three years, waiting may be an interesting option. If on the other hand you already know that Steel Beasts was made for you, and if you want to play it on multiple computers, depending on changing circumstances, ordering now won't cost you more than waiting, and you have the additional advantage that you get your CodeMeter USB stick shipped before version 3.0 gets released, so there won't be any severe delays after it comes out before you can run it.

Yes, quite. Check this site's calendar, and the multiplayer discussion board. :)

The trees modeled in SB anyway are nowwhere near beeing thick or dense enough to stop a tank. So: they don't look like a tank obstacle. In my p.o.v. it is MORE realistc that then they ARE none.
I think your wrong that no trees in SB can stop a tank? Yesterday I ran full speed into a tree and my driver, loader and gunner went out of commission from the tank coming to abrupt stop.

Well you don't have to hit a tree to be stopped by a forest/dense patch of trees in real life.

Things like barrel strikes curtail AFV movement in dense woods (esp. with long modern barrels), as does the rear turret bustle overhang and need to be considered.

In SB at the moment barrels pass through trees with no injury to either party and these "should" create stripped turret gears, busted shear pins, broken traverse gear boxes, injured crew, etc.

I think your wrong that no trees in SB can stop a tank?Yesterday I ran full speed into a tree and my driver,loader and gunner went out of commission from the tank coming to abrupt stop.

All depends on impuls ;-)

When you do the same at a slow speed...you can knock any SB tree down nicely without damages :-P

All depends on impuls ;-)

When you do the same at a slow speed...you can knock any SB tree down nicely without damages :-P

I must of found the trees you cant knockdown or I am getting odd behaviors again.:biggrin: Select tutorial number 20,the last lesson you can choose.When you spawn in you will be headed east with a forest in front of you.Those trees will not fall down,at least for me.

So, we don't intend to "fix" this. Quite the contrary, with version 3.0 we have toned down the speed with which guns will drop (or raise) after a kill.

Good to hear- I think another change here would be moving tanks and vehicles not necessarily coming to a sudden and complete stop near instantaneously when destroyed. They could still roll along a bit even on fire or whatever.

How do you guys deal with the TIM moving up and down on the screen when fighting on banking.I am alternating pressing F1 and back to F2 but that's not really workable as it recenters it only slightly.It got so bad just now that it moved almost completely off screen.Does the TIM have to move or can it be disabled?:confused:

How do you guys deal with the TIM moving up and down on the screen when fighting on banking.I am alternating pressing F1 and back to F2 but that's not really workable as it recenters it only slightly.It got so bad just now that it moved almost completely off screen.Does the TIM have to move or can it be disabled?:confused:

I posted something about that (and some other related issues) a while back: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=18716