Infantry eyesight

Tjay

Can anyone tell me how far a rifle squad soldier can see if the mission setting is unlimited visibility? About 1500m is my guess. Of course, if visibility is reduced in the mission that may become the limiting factor. I'm tempted to also ask about how far he can see in woods, but I expect that is determined by a host of variables.

If I remember the formula correctly, the square root of 1.5 times the view point height in feet is the distance to the visible horizon in miles, if there are no undulations or obstructions (ie. the flat map). So if thats the case, assuming the soldiers eyes are around 6 feet in the air then the horizon is around 3 miles away. Your mileage may vary...

Thanks Mogwa. More to this LOS stuff than I originally thought. So a new question emerges: when you click on 'Show LOS', what height of eye does the software use to calculate it? Actually, this is all a bit academic; my original question was generated as a result of using soldiers as recce units in a recent UKA scenario. It appeared they could spot things at 4km. There weren't any other units nearby that could have generated the map icon.

• Members
If I remember the formula correctly, the square root of 1.5 times the view point height in feet is the distance to the visible horizon in miles, if there are no undulations or obstructions (ie. the flat map). So if thats the case, assuming the soldiers eyes are around 6 feet in the air then the horizon is around 3 miles away. Your mileage may vary...

That would apply to the real world (=a roughly spherical planetary surface). Steel Beasts has a flat earth model, so a conventional "horizon formula" does not apply.

The LOS bubble in SB Pro is simplified to the extent that bushes and trees and buildings are rated as absolute LOS stoppers even if they were somewhat transparent; likewise, obstruction from ground clutter will not be taken into account (which however becomes quite relevant, the closer you are to the bottom).

With 3.0 you'll have a slider to adjust the height above ground. This should allow you to LOS analyze the terrain from as low as one meter above ground.

That would apply to the real world (=a roughly spherical planetary surface). Steel Beasts has a flat earth model, so a conventional "horizon formula" does not apply.

The LOS bubble in SB Pro is simplified to the extent that bushes and trees and buildings are rated as absolute LOS stoppers even if they were somewhat transparent; likewise, obstruction from ground clutter will not be taken into account (which however becomes quite relevant, the closer you are to the bottom).

With 3.0 you'll have a slider to adjust the height above ground. This should allow you to LOS analyze the terrain from as low as one meter above ground.

Understood. So am I right in thinking that if an uninterrupted line exists between two points, an infantry soldier at either of the points can see the other point regardless of distance, even tho in RL he would be restricted by his human eyesight?

• Members
Understood. So am I right in thinking that if an uninterrupted line exists between two points, an infantry soldier at either of the points can see the other point regardless of distance, even tho in RL he would be restricted by his human eyesight?

Steel Beasts has been designed with the simplifying concept that spotting equals identification. We then reduced the likelihoods of detection, but in principle if you have 18km visibility limit and a lone soldier on top of a volcano shaped mountain he could detect other soldiers in a concealed position at that range ... given enough time. Of course the likelihood of detection in such a scenario is so close to zero that for all practical matters the unit will remain undetected.

We may not keep this simplification forever, of course. I'm just explaining what the situation currently is.

• Members
There's no height slider once a scenario has started with 2.654, so perhaps that's where it's been added.

No. There was this discrepancy that you could adjust your height in the 3D world but it would not reflect in the LOS height slider. Now, if you adjust the height slider it will also adjust the camera position in the 3D world when you go back to the preview.

• Moderators

Jean is shorter than Brutus but taller than Imhotep. Imhotep is taller than Jean, but shorter than Lord Scotland. Lord Scotland is twice the height of Jean and Brutus combined but only one-tenth of the height of Millsy. Millsy is at a constant height of 19d59c7d61b117f2865b20b59c8b70f7.png. If Jean stands exactly one nautical mile away from Lord Scotland, how tall is Imhotep?

:-?

If Jean stands exactly one nautical mile away from Lord Scotland, how tall is Imhotep?:-?

The same height as he has always been? :) Well, not always exactly, because he was shorter when he was much younger. But you get my drift - I hope.

flawed logic TJay, something's existence doesn't necessitate it being a physical entity.

eg = emotions, wind, thought, Imothep :P

But the name Imothep means he must be a PERSON, not an immaterial force, concept or emotion. IIRC, persons ARE physical entities.:)