Bloom-HDR Mod

Tigershark

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, but I actually dont really think it looks that great with SB. It surely looks nice and everything but it doesnt make it look more realistic, more like gives it a "gamey"-style.

It is a very good mod although, and who ever did this made a very good job.

But this jus isn't my thing.

Is it just me, but I actually dont really think it looks that great with SB. It surely looks nice and everything but it doesnt make it look more realistic, more like gives it a "gamey"-style.

It is a very good mod although, and who ever did this made a very good job.

But this jus isn't my thing.

not when its overdone. you have to turn it down quite a bit. but as stated earlier, it is to simulate a broader dynamic light range.

Which is all well and good, and everything, but as stated earlier, it fails to do this in a believable manner across the more 'useful' modes (except TIS, where it is definately 'neat') and especially looks odd when in hatch views, as it can't correctly determine what is important and would have the user's focus, getting confused by spurious camoflague colours and roof clutter.

As it costs a few frames per second, and *most* of the beneficial effect is related to a boost of contrast and reduction of saturation, I still think I get similar/better/more consistent results by increasing my monitor contrast to maximum, reducing monitor saturation and brightness to allow for highlight detail while actually allowing 'genuine' bloom to exist.

It is simpler to set up, costs no frame-rate or causes any compatibility issues, and can be switched on/off by switching from Superbright mode 2 to Superbright mode off at the push of one button (on the monitor not in software)

What about possible advantages in multiplayer?

The bloom mod does make the TIS more useful as it shows hotter sections much brighter.

There's no indication whatsoever if someone is using it or not and as far as I can see this mod has no effect on multiplayer games in terms of version mismatches or anything.

So how are we going to proceed?

Oh I totally agree Yskonyn, it absolutely works well in that area...

Just looking at the previous pages in this thread, and looking at the screenshots of people who have tweaked it and have it working as desired, just shows that this mod is a bonus of sorts...

and yes, for the nah sayers, as a suggestion: try fiddling with it a bit more till you get something you can tolerate... and yes, I agree, the default setting certainly is ugly... setting more mild works great though!

2 cents!

TS

Yskonyn, I think your awareness of possible cheating is a good thing. but I am having some minor problems seeing why just this bloom stuff should be reacted on, when we have a folder designed entirely for cheating, called MOD FOLDER...

this is 2 skins and a TIS i did in 5 minutes and look at this, easy as hell to see and recognize, comparing to this the bloom "cheat" becomes pretty pale.

/KT

redblue.jpg

TIS.jpg

It may be little consolation, but at the end of the day I don't think it really matters who has what skin installed. You still have to put steel on target, and for that I am sure there isn't a cheat. So, I don't mind if it looks like I'm driving around in a brightly coloured tank to the other side, because you still have to hit me...

haven't played on the lower difficulties in a good while, but i think if you held shift down, some blue/red letters would pop up over the vehicle

Thats your ID tag, controlled from the scenario editor and from what I know it works on all difficultylevels

It may be little consolation, but at the end of the day I don't think it really matters who has what skin installed. You still have to put steel on target, and for that I am sure there isn't a cheat. So, I don't mind if it looks like I'm driving around in a brightly coloured tank to the other side, because you still have to hit me...

Hitting isnt the hard thing, FINDING you is the hard thing, and those cheats I showed there helps allot unfortunly. There was some problems back in the days with cheating by using skins. Some dude reskinned the trees in SB so they where just a small stick so where eweryone saw a thick forest he saw the enemy tank. so its a thing to think about.

But only thing you can do is to trust the guys you are playing with and be sure to not use the cheats yourself.

/KT

How does this mod work with winter conditions? If it base on difference in lightning dark vs light, then having winter which already is light and the sky on that. The difference can't be as good as during summer/fall conditions?

Based on the screenshots it looks amazing, is it worth looking into?

Some dude reskinned the trees in SB so they where just a small stick so where eweryone saw a thick forest he saw the enemy tank. so its a thing to think about.

Hadn't thought about that. It would certainly be an unfair advantage. Perhaps some of the skins that SB uses should be "locked" somehow???

I'm not too worried about being found. It's hard hiding from a TIS. Besides, if someone finds me, he still has to do something about it. :)

That was back in SB1 days actually, can remember 3 times when someone was accused for cheating back then.but since SBPE came I cant remember a single one actually.

I doubt anyone do it nowadays, but the cheats options are there, but if anyone is discovered to cheat would mean their end in SB community so not many ( I hope) consider doing that.

Hadn't thought about that. It would certainly be an unfair advantage. Perhaps some of the skins that SB uses should be "locked" somehow???

I'm not too worried about being found. It's hard hiding from a TIS. Besides, if someone finds me, he still has to do something about it. :)

It would be relatively easy to spot during the AAR. The person would be getting an unusual amount of low probability kills through and within forests.

How does this mod work with winter conditions? If it base on difference in lightning dark vs light, then having winter which already is light and the sky on that. The difference can't be as good as during summer/fall conditions?

Based on the screenshots it looks amazing, is it worth looking into?

Of course... make sure to get the right config settings...

On winter landscapes this mod truly shines...It has a very bright tundra feel...

and like I said, fiddle with it until you get the desired effect you want and then just go with it...

Depending on which mod version you download and choose, you experience little to no change in FPS... as experienced in Lockon and IL2 community...

TS