Testing a scenario triggers Visual Studio and hangs.

Scrapper_511

I was trying to mission test "Red Horde" so I can observe from Red side but after clicking 'start' MS Visual Studio will try to run and SB hangs. While stuck at this briefing screen I can hear vehicle sound effects through my speakers. I have to ctrl-alt-del out of it. It says that SB is not responding, while Visual Studio is running (as if it's trying to debug?).

I don't have Visual Studio running in the background while running SB, it just starts running on its own. I did notice a "Just-In-Time" debug name and I believe that may indeed be Malware. Will look into it if I get the chance over the weekend.

Volcano, I downloaded "Red Horde" during 2.654. As of now I can't be sure what scens are stock with 3.0, but this is another issue I'm dealing with (in another thread).

Actually, this is happening in any scenario that I try to test (stock, downloaded, or custom-made). I do NOT have Visual Studio running in the background when this happens. When I get a chance, I will uninstall Visual Studio and see what happens.

Edit: However, I have NOT had any problems loading the scenarios as offline sessions (not testing them).

Edited by Scrapper_511

Anybody else crashing when you start testing a scenario?

Here's the "The Battle for Fulda South" scen file: [ATTACH]12361[/ATTACH]

When I open it in the Mission Editor I get the nav-mesh prompt. I click no and then I'm left with a blank grid map instead of seeing the scen map. I click on Start anyway and that's when Visual Studio tries to debug. Closing Visual Studio shuts down SB altogether.

fulda south 2.55.zip

• Members

I wouldn't trust the integrity of your entire computer any further than I could throw it. Something's seriously messed up. Maybe a virus, maybe a root kit, I don't know. This is calling for a fresh start. Be careful with your backups. They too may be compromised. :confused:

I'm just learning that for testing the map is not drawing for any of the downloaded scenarios. I have some of them installed directly in the default 'My Scenario' folder, and others in a custom folder I had backed up from 2.654.

The maps are drawing fine for the scenarios included in 3.0, but I do get this crash when I click 'Start':

[ATTACH]12367[/ATTACH]

I did reinstall Visual Studio for troubleshooting's sake. This is a pretty fresh install of XP so I'd hate to start over again already. If XP itself is to blame for all its security weaknesses I guess I'll have to save up for Win7. Any advise on where to get it for much less than retail? OEM version okay for me?

crash2.JPG.4a55e096d4a801bf665a57c084781

OEM version okay for me?
OEM is fine, and you might even get a so-called "DSP" (Delivery Service Partner) or "SB" (System Builder) version. These usually are even cheaper than pure OEM. In terms of functionality, they are all the same.

License-wise, officially the OEM/DSP/SB licenses are bound to a single PC only, while the retail can be installed on multiple PCs (although only at one PC at a time). I.e. the retail is allowed to be migrated to a newer PC, while the OEM/DSP/SB licenses are bound to one specific set of hardware and are not allowed to be migrated to a newer PC.

However... all that will happen if you DO use OEM/DSP/SB on more than one PC is that the automatic activation will fail. Nevertheless, the telephone activation will still work fine, it will just ask you "on how many PCs is the product installed?". Answer "one" and activation is accepted.

From an "which edition" point of view (Home/Professional/Ultimate), Home is plenty for most of us, so I would save my money here. The only valid reasons to go to Professional would be a) more than 16GB of ram (as Home only supports 16GB), and b) BitLocker drive encryption (as Home does not support that). If you need one of those features, you can only answer yourself.

Last not least: Retail versions come with both a 32bit and 64bit installation media. OEM/DSP/SB only come with either 32bit or 64bit media. Nevertheless, the key itself is valid and legal to be used with 32bit and 64bit, you can always borrow the other media somewhere if yo need it.

Just mentioning this because again you can save some money here, most shops charge more for shipping both DVD version.

By the way:

Did you try simply disabling the VS just in time debugger?

To disable Just-In-Time debugging, you must be running VS2010 with Administrator privileges. Enabling/disabling Just-In-Time debugging sets a registry key, and Administrator privileges are required to change that key.

To enable/disable Just-In-Time debugging, open VS2010:

- On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".

- In the "Options" dialog box, open the "Debugging" folder.

- In the "Debugging" folder, select the "Just-In-Time" page.

- In the right-hand side "Enable Just-In-Time debugging of these types of code" box, select or clear the relevant program types: Managed, Native, or Script.

- Click OK.

That should be it. SB will most likely still crash, but instead of the debugger window it should write a dump file now which we can analyze.

I got my OEM copy of Win7 Pro 64bit in the mail today and I'm eager to start from a clean slate. I hate not having been able to fix it, let alone not having known what the root problem was. I'm confident this fresh install will be trouble free but still keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the feedback everyone. See you in a couple of days!

• Members

The truth is, I don't trust any computer a lot. Not my own, much less others. Your description however made me cringe and I couldn't keep a professional composure, I'm sorry about that.

Boy, I have said that a lot in the last seven days. I hope it hasn't lost all meaning yet. :o