License Issue with 3.0: Error: An internal error has occurred. 0x18080001

Grim.Reaper

• Members

I would offer free one-month licenses, if this situation wouldn't affect so many of you. There's just no way how I can manually create so many licenses and send them out in time. If it were just You and You there, I would have done it right away. But the sheer mass of affected people makes this impossible, OK?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have returned to the fold after some years absence ( dont shoot me ok ;) )

I too have gone through several "issues" with trying to get the game to run - and have failed. First off my stick was way out of date so having read the warnings I embarked on upgrading the firmware before going further.

I also took heed of Ssnakes dire warning about not saving the licence file to my computer ( well, at least I think I did. But now I'm not so sure. What once was a very simple and elegant solution to copy protection seems to have morphed into a real nightmare of "click this, no not that, this. Then go here and if you have the wrong browser go there...etc ).

So now I'm left with the fact that I know I have paid for an update, its not working and I have seen at least 2 error codes coming up when I have tried to launch.

Im also left with the horrible feeling that I may have "Fubared" my attempts at getting the thing running and may have lost my ability to be believed in saying that I had purchased the game ( as I now have two files saved to my desktop with completely different reference numbers )???

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but on reflection I guess a delayed launch to Monday, ensuring that the people that administer the CP would be available would have been the best option.

Hope it all works out...for all concerned!

I would offer free one-month licenses, if this situation wouldn't affect so many of you. There's just no way how I can manually create so many licenses and send them out in time. If it were just You and You there, I would have done it right away. But the sheer mass of affected people makes this impossible, OK?

Well, you could just refund to those who only bought a month licence this weekend. :biggrin:

I do find it a bit strange that a company like that dont have any guys on standby to fix stuff in the weekends. What about the armies that uses it? Or are they not under the codemeter licence workings?

Anyway, I dont care. If a month licence works im gonna go with that even though its going to be fixed tomorrow hopefully. (Great 'feature' by the way, adding that timebased licence!)

If online activation is not succesfull, do it manually with Offline activation:

- Open ccc

- Clic on "licence update"

- select "create licence update"

- select "extend existing licence"

- select esimgames

- select file name

- summit

Open email link

- select offline activation (on bottom right)

- select licence to upgrade

- select the wibu file you created before

- apply

In the ccc

- clic on licence update

- select "import licence update"

- select the file you created before

- summit

That's it.

If online activation is not succesfull, do it manually with Offline activation:

That's it.

That's it, except that it doesn't really work:

The license cannot be transferred into the selected CmContainer. Please use a different CmContainer and try again.

Error Code = 0x18080005

^^^

If you read thru this thread, and/or the other one .. you will see, that many of us have already tried that ... it doesn't work.

According to Ssnake, there seems to be an issue with the Wibu Server, and the issuing of permanent licenses.

Cheers

Tom

The procedure I described is not related to wibu server, as it does not use it at all.

I USED it succesfully to update my licences.

The procedure I described is not related to wibu server, as it does not use it at all.

It drops me (and others) at a web page with the same error message.

And yes it does use the WiBu server, at the moment it creates that file for you that you later import. It's only 'offline' in the sense that you can create a query file on an offline computer, bring it to an 'online' computer, ask for a portable license file and take that file to a computer that is offline and import it there. Since it's just as easy to move the stick over to an online computer and do it all online, it really doesn't make a difference. It's odd it worked for you.

How long ago did you register? It seems early on before late Friday it might have worked, but since then not so much. So if you did it prior, then that is the difference then the rest of us.

• Members
So now I'm left with the fact that I know I have paid for an update, its not working and I have seen at least 2 error codes coming up when I have tried to launch.

Im also left with the horrible feeling that I may have "Fubared" my attempts at getting the thing running and may have lost my ability to be believed in saying that I had purchased the game (as I now have two files saved to my desktop with completely different reference numbers )???

I'm sure, we will find a solution - once that the server issue has been solved. With respect to the complicated upgrade procedure - apparently the experience varies wildly from one user to the next. If the firmware of the CM stick is up to date and the security settings of the browser permit the direct license transfer on the depot page, the upgrade procedure is child's play (provided that the server there is actually running as intended).

If these conditions aren't met, things are indeed getting complicated. I'm terribly sorry about this, and you can be certain that we will have a serious discussion with Wibu Systems about their whole "License Central" concept (and its implementation). To which extent we have the leverage to bring them to change their product and service policy, I don't know, and even if it turns out that our leverage is bigger than I think, I don't believe that they can change things quickly (like, abolishing the use of Java).

Another source of complication cannot be avoided if we want to retain flexibility for the individual user. Years ago it was simple - we send out a CM stick with preconfigured license, and that's it. Then we decided to offer secondary licenses for those of you who want to play with friends and family, where we didn't want to charge full price again. The introduction of these secondary licenses brings a complication that we have to sell the same licenses for different prices. It's possible, but, well, it's another option to choose from.

Likewise, there is no way around the need to charge money for upgrades when permanent licenses are issued. That's the only way how we can earn some of the money back that we're investing in the development of new features. So we have to offer base licenses, upgrade licenses, and secondary licenses.

As a new element, we also wanted to lower the entry barrier for people who might be interested in SB Pro PE but who aren't sure if it's really worth the full price of $115.-. So we decided to also offer time-based licenses WITHOUT the need to mail out CodeMeter sticks. These require a different infrastructure, which adds another complication in the web shop, and in the local installation of the CodeMeter runtime insofar as a virtual CM stick gets created upon installing SB Pro PE 3.0. Yes, that can be confusing, but I see no way around it save for giving up this option. We don't want that. I think that this community can use an influx of new players, and these time-based licenses are an attempt to achieve that effect.

I think the biggest source of confusion are still the browsers and their different security settings. To me, the remote programming appears to be a viable alternative if you don't want to fiddle with the security settings - but admittedly it requires a number more mouse clicks to getting there. It's the basic conflict between convenience and security that you always have in the IT world. 2006, you hardly had to think about more than two browsers (IE 6 and Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox).

Seven years later there's a big zoo of different browsers again, with different security and usability concepts, and they are all supposed to work with the license activation server. What can I say? We're living in a world of growing complexity.

Hi Ssnake,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and explain, that is truly very much appreciated.

I know that you and your team always have given excellent customer service and have no doubt it will continue.

Although I would say its been a "little" frustrating, its really no biggie and I can certainly wait till you "kick some Wibu butt" and they sort out their side of things.

I have suported eSIM since the very first release ( 2000? Can it relly be that long ago??? ) and I fully expect to be supporting you guys in the years to come!

Hi Ssnake,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and explain, that is truly very much appreciated.

I know that you and your team always have given excellent customer service and have no doubt it will continue.

Although I would say its been a "little" frustrating, its really no biggie and I can certainly wait till you "kick some Wibu butt" and they sort out their side of things.

I have suported eSIM since the very first release ( 2000? Can it relly be that long ago??? ) and I fully expect to be supporting you guys in the years to come!

+1 ^

Thanks sSnake

I don't know if I've messed up my installation also can anyone help me with this.

I tried the manual route last night and did the following

I created a license request and saved the file to my desktop then opened to the email link and tried the offline activation and browsed to the created file.

This gave me the following error

The license cannot be transferred into this CmContainer. Please choose a different CmContainer and try again.

Error Code = 0x18080003

However thinking the file was at fault I deleted it and tried again.

Have I messed this up or did the fact the request not go through means everything is still ok.

Need to know if I have just wasted my money or not on this upgrade I purchased.

Yes I know its not working, I was more concerned about me deleting the file for the manual activation.

Ssnake said earlier

"Don't forget that after your uploading of the *.WibuCmRaC file the server will send back a *.WibuCmRaU file. This file must be saved to disk!

Failing to save it means to throw away the license. There is no way how I can distinguish a successful license activation from a successful license activation that you failed to transfer to your stick."

But as I didn't make contact with the server and so didn't receive a WibuCmRau file I believe I am ok and havnt thrown away my license by deleting the WibuCmRaC file I first created. Hope that makes sense :)

I wouldn't expect this from you 'cause I think it's fair to say you're not a faulty party here. Wibu Systems, on the other hand, seriously owes us an apology to say the least.

I know that something like this is actually unthinkable in modern computing era for a serious business. And I know this, because this is actually my job - monitoring of the remote systems. There's no way they keep their servers in some cave, without 24x7x365 support from colocation datacenter personnel nor they have On-Call Engineer available to troubleshoot remotely. OK, there's no contact available to cutomers for raising issues but nowadays monitoring tools can send monitoring alerts for someones attention automatically, using various medias at the same time for redundancy. And these alerts could be anything - from faulty battery in RAID controller to CPUs pecked at 100%, to predicted imminent HDD failure to particular service/application not performing as expected - just to mention only few basic possibilities. BTW, with widespread N+1 redundancy it seems none applies here. I mean - what gives?

Even if they still host their production systems on the premises (which I seriously doubt) that only shows unprofessional approach to their business and customers (eSim) and this calls for penalties (I hope you have such a clause in the contract).

Sorry guys for wasting your time on reading this but I really, really feel disappointed by all this - weekend's gone and soon I'm gone for quite a time, with no time for play. Damn it.