New CodeMeter stuff

Ssnake

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed tonight that I had two Codemeter icons in the "hidden icons" part of the task bar. I went into msconfig and found two "Codemeter control centers" running at starup.

Msconfig says that one is in

"C:\Users\..me..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup."

The other in

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup."

I don't seem to have any problem with this arrangement but I am curious if this is needed to run the program properly or if it will eventually cause problems.

Hi TS I stand to be corrected but I think both of the icons are normal as one is used if you have a licence on the codemeter USB stick and the other is used if you are using the time limited licences. Having both running has not caused any problems for me at least.

Hi TS I stand to be corrected but I think both of the icons are normal as one is used if you have a licence on the codemeter USB stick and the other is used if you are using the time limited licences. Having both running has not caused any problems for me at least.

To "play it safe", I am not using the stick until the limited time license expires. Mr.Murphy hangs too close to my comp for me to risk it. :wink2:

• Members
I noticed tonight that I had two Codemeter icons in the "hidden icons" part of the task bar. I went into msconfig and found two "Codemeter control centers" running at startup.

It's certainly not needed. What's normal for owners of a CM stick since SB Pro PE version 3.0 is to see a double icon (two CodeMeter "balls" in blue color rather than the single ball in turquoise), indicating the presence of multiple CM containers on a system (the (empty) virtual container for time-based licenses, and the physical stick that is plugged in).

But two of these tray icons next to each other? No.

Given that this indicates that you may be running CodeMeter software of different versions which may be supporting different feature sets, this MIGHT result in trouble if Steel Beasts were to call a function that is supported by one runtime but not the other, and then you don't know which one is in charge.

In the light of this possibility my recommendation would be to uninstall all CodeMeter runtime software through the Add/Remove Programs utility in the System Settings, and then to download and install the latest CodeMeter runtime software to get one, and only one of them back.

• 3 weeks later...

So just a quick question here. I have the 1st Gen of the dongle and S.B. ver 2.654. I want to upgrade to the latest version, but after reading about how the 1st Gen dongles will not update would it still work If I upgraded the license $40? I would just hate to pay the $40 and not work and then now I would have to get the limited license. I hope this makes sense

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yes, I suppose so.

According to the CodeMeter help function (search string "auto* start") it's usually configured as a service, so you'd have to open Windows | System Settings | Administration | Services, locate the CodeMeter runtime server, and change the settings from "automatic" to "manual" (to do so, double-click the entry which opens a properties dialog box where you can change the launch type).

If the CodeMeter runtime software isn't active and you start a CodeMeter-protected application, this will launch the required runtime. It does not automatically terminate thereafter, though.

If you cannot figure it out by your own where to disable it, ask Support@CodeMeter.de

They should know.

• Sean unpinned this topic