Error launching SB Pro PE 3.0

Quagmire

Hi guys, I'm having an issue launching SB 3.0 for some reason.

Mark Gibson has kindly offered to loan me a temporary license to see how my system handles version 3.0, but when launching it I get the following error messages:

Generic application error

Switching to reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly.

This is followed by another popup with:

Warning: Nothing will be rendered.

The reference rendering device was selected, but your computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed. Install the DirectX SDK to get the full reference device.

Final popup states:

Generic application error

This program will now exit.

I did a search and found others have had this error in the past, for example this thread, but it was from a previous version.

I have since done a full uninstall of both SB 3.0 and CM and reinstalled it all from scratch but the errors persist.

My system is Windows XP Home SP3. SB version 2.654 ran without this error so I'm not sure what's causing it with 3.0. I have up-to-date DirectX and an attempted reinstall from Microsoft confirmed it.

Any suggestions? I can't get any further than the errors. :confused:

Thanks all.

Q

My system is Windows XP Home SP3. SB version 2.654 ran without this error so I'm not sure what's causing it with 3.0. I have up-to-date DirectX and a reinstall from Microsoft confirmed it.

Any suggestions? I can't get any further than the errors. :confused:

Thanks all.

Q

I don’t think its so much a question of having “up-to-date DirectX“, but having 9.0c.

Quagmire,

what are your system specs? Especially, what graphics card are you using (type and memory size)?

FYI, the links to the latest DirectX 9.0c full installer is...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

...in case you want to give that a try again.

Hi dunc, the specs are:

Dell XPS M1710 laptop

MS Windows XP Home SP3

Intel Core2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz

3.2GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce Go 7950 GTX (512MB)

I just tried another DirectX install and it still tells me "DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary."

Thanks.

Dell XPS M1710 laptop

NVIDIA Geforce Go 7950 GTX (512MB)

Dell is known to have rather outdated GFX drivers on their support page. So in case you're still running the original "latest" Dell drivers (174.x), I suggest updating to the latest available nVidia drivers for this graphics card, they are available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winxp_179.48_beta.html

Like this, we can at least be sure that you're not running into a "out-of-date" driver issue. Not saying that this will fix the issue, but it will put us on a "known basis".

Quick update, I've just reinstalled the video driver from Nvidia's website but it's had no effect. :frown:
...ok. Ignore my previous post.

Did you already take a look at the SB log file in "<My Documents>\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs"? The file is named "debugLog.txt", each SB start creates a new one, so just look for the most recent (youngest) file). Maybe there is more info in there...

Thanks for the tip dunc, I didn't consider the logs. :redface:

The last one from 12:40 is relatively short so I'll post it here. Hopefully someone can make sense of it.

I suspect 3.0 doesn't like my laptop - or vice versa...

[12:40:39,578] WARN : -------------------------------

[12:40:39,578] WARN : Steel Beasts Log File v3.002

[12:40:39,578] WARN : Sat Sep 21 12:40:39 2013

/ 1160

[12:40:39,578] WARN : -------------------------------

[12:40:39,609] WARN : Could not look up file attributes for 'C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\options\options.dat'. Error code: 2

[12:40:39,609] ERROR: Failed to open memory file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\options\options.dat'. Error code: 2

[12:40:39,718] ERROR: ConfirmDevice failed: D3DCREATE_PUREDEVICE

[12:40:39,765] WARN : *** PresentationIntervals NOT SUPPORTED! (Initialize3DEnvironment) ***

[12:40:39,968] ERROR: Failed CGame::RestoreRenderTargets, landscape, hr=0x80004005

[12:40:39,968] ERROR: Failed! CDisplay::RestoreRenderTargets | gpGame->RestoreRenderTargets(): hr=0x80004005

[12:40:39,968] ERROR: Initialize3DEnvironment failed: USING REFERENCE RASTERIZER

[12:40:39,968] ERROR: Generic application error

Switching to the reference rasterizer,

a software device that implements the entire

Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly.

[12:40:44,718] ERROR: Warning: Nothing will be rendered.

The reference rendering device was selected, but your

computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device

installed. Install the DirectX SDK to get the full

reference device.

[12:40:46,156] ERROR: CreateDevice FAILED. hr = 0x8876086A

[12:40:46,156] ERROR: Initialize3DEnvironment failed: USING REFERENCE RASTERIZER

[12:40:46,156] ERROR: Generic application error

This program will now exit.

[12:40:39,609] WARN : Could not look up file attributes for 'C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\options\options.dat'. Error code: 2
Hmm... usually, if SB did not start yet, there is no "personal" options.dat file available, and SB should "fallback" to a default options.dat file, which is located at "<YourSBInstallDirectory>\misc\options.dat".

Could you just try copying that default options.dat to the location which is stated in the warning line of the logfile? And can you as well make sure that the file (the personal, target file) is not write-protected (i.e. read-only)?

Hmm... usually, if SB did not start yet, there is no "personal" options.dat file available, and SB should "fallback" to a default options.dat file, which is located at "<YourSBInstallDirectory>\misc\options.dat".

Could you just try copying that default options.dat to the location which is stated in the warning line of the logfile? And can you as well make sure that the file (the personal, target file) is not write-protected (i.e. read-only)?

The options folder located at 'docs & settings - Admin - App Data - eSim Games - Steel Beasts - options' is empty.

I copied the options.dat file from the 'c:\program files - esim games - misc' folder and pasted it into the one above.

Upon launching SB 3.0 the error about the Codemeter stick not being installed appeared (I'm using a loan one from Mark Gibson to test 3.0), but when I hit Retry the usual error message about the rasterizer popped up.

So, no change I'm afraid. :confused:

EDIT - Forgot to add, there was no read-only permission etc on the options.dat file.

Sean, I can't reinstall DirectX 9.0c as the installer tells me it's already present and working fine. (I've also run the tests in dxdiag and it passed them all). I don't like the idea of manually uninstalling DX (even Microsoft don't recommend doing it), particularly as I'm worried how it may affect some of my important work programs, like trade charts etc.

I've already reinstalled SB 3.0 and CM three times now... :biggrin:

Thanks for the upload, but upon running it I still get the same message regarding the previous DirectX installation:

"DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary."

Edited by Quagmire