M109s executing Firemisions of their own accord

Hedgehog

Hmm something very strange is going on here.....

M109s are attacking any enemy units on the map of their own accord, no matter where they are hey start when one access the Fire Mission menu......

However they go on to expend all their ammunition independently of any requested fire missions, as far as I am aware they do not have a LOS to the units they are shelling.

Village assualt 1.sce

A test Scenario file lives on the SB.com TS server.

(This is one we played where I observed this behavior)

• Moderators
Spot on, disabling that fixes it. I didn't realize that those settings also counted for on map arty.

Right, it takes some getting used to but the Support dialog doesn't just count for off-map artillery anymore. After all, the AI needs to be able to utilize on map artillery too, and you may want to deny them that asset as well. :)

Also: Mortars won't execute fire missions on tanks. So you either have to report something else in the target description, or use them exclusively against infantry targets (as you bloody should, anyway!)

A bit of a misconception about mortars being ineffective with tanks. Not only will they force them to button up, can certainly destroy/degrade optics and fire control on tanks/ifv's. Also, not impossible to get a direct hit on an armored vehicle's top armor (weakest spot) and destroy it. While certainly not a tank destroyer and you could expend much ammo trying, it shouldn't be discounted. Having witnessed Stryker Mortar Carrier B's putting their 1st round within 10 meters of original grid reference point in the mission, they are vastly more deadly than years past. Just a thought....

They can do that in real life, but they won't have this effect in Steel Beasts - right now. We'll be working on it in the coming months. As soon as it works I think that the behavior of mortar units to execute incoming fire missions will probably change as well.

LOL, I hear you. before you know it, you'll have created a TD style vehicle that can outrange many tank guns. You'll definitely have to tweak it a bit. Just know the 120mm round, slaved with GPS and MFCS is one bad round, not to mention 100meters of vaporization for dismounts. A parallel sheaf is one heck of a battlefield broom.

LOL, I hear you. before you know it, you'll have created a TD style vehicle that can outrange many tank guns. You'll definitely have to tweak it a bit. Just know the 120mm round, slaved with GPS and MFCS is one bad round, not to mention 100meters of vaporization for dismounts. A parallel sheaf is one heck of a battlefield broom.

The icing on the cake would be guided-ammo for the mortars :-D

Then they become real tank killers.