Question about the save game feature

RENEGADE-623

As the name "In Progress save" implies it saves the game as at the time you save it.

Otherwise it would be a "return to start" save and be useless.

Anyway in your example you save it at H +45.

You come back.

You load the saved file (not the original)

You are presented with the briefing screen but the time says H+45.

You click on "start" and everything is where you left it (and in the same state - damage, ammo, etc.) as the initial save.

Hope that helps.

As the name "In Progress save" implies it saves the game as at the time you save it.

Otherwise it would be a "return to start" save and be useless.

Anyway in your example you save it at H +45.

You come back.

You load the saved file (not the original)

You are presented with the briefing screen but the time says H+45.

You click on "start" and everything is where you left it (and in the same state - damage, ammo, etc.) as the initial save.

Hope that helps.

And you cannot make any changes to the saved file before playing it again correct ??

If I save in progress then load and continue the saved file all is well.

If I load a saved file and add a unit then try to save and continue SB crashes.

• Members
And you cannot make any changes to the saved file before playing it again correct ??

If I save in progress then load and continue the saved file all is well.

If I load a saved file and add a unit then try to save and continue SB crashes.

Could you upload that savegame?

So this happens with any scenario?

Yup, any that I try to change after I have run/tested it and then saved it in progress.

The original still works fine as well as the saved file - as long as I don't try to change it again.

Tried it on a couple old pre 3.0 scenarios.

Also tried it on a few simple new 3.0 scenarios.

Completely uninstalled the old SB and codemeter before installing new ones.

If I make no changes to the scenario all works fine.

No probelm saving and loading new scenarios.

I have an older dual 2.66 Ghz system 4GB ram, Vista

Except ongoing fire missions (basically the whole support tab will be empty, even if you did have a number of fire missions saved there) don't seem to carry over. It would be nice if they did!

Yup, any that I try to change after I have run/tested it and then saved it in progress.

The original still works fine as well as the saved file - as long as I don't try to change it again.

Tried it on a couple old pre 3.0 scenarios.

Also tried it on a few simple new 3.0 scenarios.

Completely uninstalled the old SB and codemeter before installing new ones.

If I make no changes to the scenario all works fine.

No probelm saving and loading new scenarios.

I have an older dual 2.66 Ghz system 4GB ram, Vista

Correction ! Tried it with a stock scenario "Border Patrol" ran it a bit, In progress saved it to test.sce from the map screen.

Quit game. Loaded it in the editor. Added a platoon of leopards with a simple waypoint.

Saved it to test.sce again and it played ok so there is something that I am not putting in my own scenarios that is preventing me from saving/ editing and replaying them.

What I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I must confirm the finding of Parachutedrone's crashes.

I too tried to edit saved game files, but they did not load in game or in editor again, but were blank files, once I tried to sue them again. The scenarios in question all had time limits removed (I hate time limits, so that really is a major issue with the save game feature to me). Have not tried how it is with time limits implemented. If I would need to allow time limits, the save game function would be completely worthless for me.

However. Not just in the edtior, I also had crashes from ingame mission play when saving the running game. Sometimes it saves, sometimes it crashes, creating the new saved game as an empty, blank file that cannot be reloaded again. Happened with three scenarios now, all of them without time limits. Have not tested how it is with time limits.

What makes it worse is you are being thrown out of the match if the saving procedure fails. If no early saving attempt working,t he match is ruined for you.

I am not using the save game feature anymore, it is unreliable and unpredictable.

W7x64, i5 2500 @3.3, 8 GB RAM, GTX 660 2 GB. Completely new SBP installation, in fact I just reinstalled the complete system. An old SBP was never present on this current installation, HD and GFX card are new.

• Members

Can you please try to get it crashing while logging the whole thing?

Steel Beasts 3.0 (and later) has a logging system that can be configured via command line. On your desktop, create an additional shortcut to the SB Pro PE executable, then edit the properties of the shortcut. In the "target" line AFTER the quotation marks of the executable's file path add (with a leading blank/space) --loglevel [variable] where [variable] needs to be one of the following (in descending order of verbosity):

• trace
  • debug
  • info
  • warn (=default, if no argument is placed when starting SB Pro PE)
  • error

See page 49 of the Release Notes for further details and additional options.

Whenever SB Pro PE is started, it'll write the stuff into the file ..\logs\debugLog.txt and will rename existing files by increasing a sequential number (so you can review your last ten sessions or so). Trace and Debug write quite a bit into the file which may, depending on your harddisk performance, result in a reduced frame rate or stuttering when playing, so I don't recommend activating it by default.

You may also want to give the shortcut a different symbol on your desktop so you know which one is which.

If you can create a scenario with a bug that always occurs you can help us most by collecting a package of the scenario file and the debug log file with "debug" option. We might ask you to do another run with "trace", but usually that won't be necessary.

Since I apparently cannot upload the same illustrating images if they are already posted in another thread, here's the link.