How to control M1a2 TC "F3" sight ?

Toastman

• Members

There are (in NORMAL fire control mode) four modes the CITV can be in..

• CITV manual scan - the TC controls the CITV independent of the turret's movement, the CITV is fully stabilized
  • CITV auto scan - the CITV automatically scans a sector (relative to the tank hull)
  • GPS GLOS - the CITV follows the GPS's line of sight. If the TC overrides, he controls the gun via his GPSE (ie gun and CITV follow the GPS)
  • CITV GLOS - the CITV follows the GPS's line of sight. If the TC overrides, he controls the gun via the CITV (that is, gun and GPS follow the CITV - there will be a small movement when the 'override' switch is pressed). Note that is is NOT a good idea to lase in this mode (especially when looking through the CITV) as the laser is mounted within the GPS assembly, so that there will be some parallax error beween the line-of-sights of the CITV->target and GPS->target.. ie the lase beam might be slightly offset, and you might get erroneous results (no echo, multiple echos etc). Always look through the GPSE when lasing!

You can select the mode by pressing either of the topmost three buttons on the left frame of the CITV screen. The topmost button toggles between CITV Man/Auto scan, the middle button selects GPS GLOS mode, the third button CITV GLOS.

There's one more thing when in CITV manual scan.. the TC can perform a 'designate' action, which makes the gun move to wherever the CITV is looking.. this way the TC can slew the gun over to a target he detected using the CITV, then release control back to the GNR. Please look up the 'designate' keypress in the 'controls' UI.

In EMERGENCY mode you should still be able to perform all actions; however CITV GLOS mode behaves the same as GPS GLOS (IIRC).

In MANUAL mode it is not possible for the TC to overide the GNR (so no 'designate' functionality), the CITV should however still work normally in the Man/Auto modes.

All of this was typed from memoy but should be close enough hopefully.

There's one more thing when in CITV manual scan.. the TC can perform a 'designate' action, which makes the gun move to wherever the CITV is looking.. this way the TC can slew the gun over to a target he detected using the CITV, then release control back to the GNR. Please look up the 'designate' keypress in the 'controls' UI.

AAAAaaah, so that is why it doesn't work - function "designate" it is not assigned by default...

Weird I must say... :confused:

• Members
AAAAaaah, so that is why it doesn't work - function "designate" it is not assigned by default...

Weird I must say... :confused:

Hmm it should be mapped to 'O' by default.

But there's probably an issue if you're upgrading from an older SB version - I guess the control mappings are not updated under these circumstances :o

My bad - i didnt formulated my sentence correctly.

I wanted to say that it was not mapped to any of Joystick controlls.

When I drive from Tc, I use Joy in one hand and WASDX on left hand.

That is why O was never in my mind to use it - all override commands, CITV movements and so on are mapped on Joystick in my case.

commander's station:

FCS modes: FCS modes are located on the Commander's Display Unit.

2 Scan Modes-

Manual- you must have the palms pressed to move the sight. this is done

by pressing "p". you also have to select manual scan mode.

Auto- CITV will scan automatically. you can select the scanning zones by selecting

"VEH sys", " CITV set up", "sector limits" and follow instruction on the

commander's tactical display. You can select the speed of the scan by selecting

"VEH sys","CITV set up", "scan rate adjust" and follow instruction on the

commander's tactical display. you can also take control of the sight by pressing

the "p" key.

Designate- to designate you need to be in manual or auto scan mode. to perform

designate you will have to have the "p" key pressed and then hit the "o". The fcs

will then go to CITV Glos until you release the "p" key then the fcs puts you

back in manual scan mode.

CITV GLOS- the gun is slaved to the CITV sight. gun will follow the CITV when you

press the "p" key. If your palms are not pressed then the CITV still follows the

gun. this mode you should fire using the CITV screen "f3" not the GPSE "f2".

GPS GLOS- the gun is slaved to the GPS sight. gun will follow the GPS when you

press the "p" key. the CITV will also follow the gun in this mode. this mode you

should fire using the GPSE sight "f2" not the CITV screen "f3".

BATTLESIGHT-located on the CDU you have to press the push button once to put the fcs

in battlesight mode. you would then use the add or drop push button to adjust the range.

when your are complete with the battlesight. you will have to press the pushbutton again

to exit the mode.

white hot and black hot can also be selected on the CDU.

C3-on the CDU is the map view that is displayed on the tactical display.

VEH SYS-where the menu options are and grid coornates.

F1-view of commander's station inside of tank.

F2-view of commander's gunner primary sight extension. same

sight picture as the gunner.

F3-commander's CITV display screen close up.

alt F3-commander's 50cal sight.

F4-commander's periscope view.

F5-map view

F6-gunner's station

F7-commander's station

F8-exterior view

F9-driver's station

Gunner's station:

using the GCDP menu

2 functions to use are battlesight or range.

BATTLESIGHT-

on the GCDP you have to select "adjust" and then the "battlesight". you use the keypad on the GCDP

to enter the new battlesight range. the GCDP will have instructions on the screen.

RANGE-

on the GCDP you have to select "sensor" and then the "range". you use the keypad on the GCDP to enter

the new range.

NOTE: you should press enter on the keypad after you have entered your new number.

There is alot more to learn but this is a basic just for now.

• 2 years later...

Hate the necro an old thread. I just got myself a Saitek X52 and I'm trying to map the controls.

From the Wiki:

The CITV can be placed in one of two gun line of sight (GLOS) modes, and these modes are used when the commander is either overriding the turret, or when the TC wants to use the CITV to observe exactly what the gunner is looking at.

The two GLOS modes are set via the CITV GLOS and GPS GLOS buttons located to the left of the CITV display.

Is there a keystroke that controls sight selections for the CITV - without overriding the gunner? I just want to see what the gunner is looking at, on my CITV panel (without looking at the GPSE)

Edited by Apocalypse 31
Wiki Quote

There is no hot key. It would be handy, tho, wouldn't it? Kind of like the Down arrow in the Leo2 or the P key in the Challenger?

In the Abrams you have to reach up and punch one of those GLOS buttons with your finger (in the form of a mouse click.)

Pressing either GLOS button by itself does not override the gunner. Pressing the P key in those modes does.

There is no hot key. It would be handy, tho, wouldn't it? Kind of like the Down arrow in the Leo2 or the P key in the Challenger?

I figured so, as I went crazy trying to find it. But yeah, the Leo and CH have much better simulated setups. With a POV Hat on my joystick it makes designating and observing the gunsite a quick process.

I figured so, as I went crazy trying to find it. But yeah, the Leo and CH have much better simulated setups. With a POV Hat on my joystick it makes designating and observing the gunsite a quick process.

Agreed. but ..

On the subject of hot keys ... and because I'm wide awake tonight ...

I haven't looked into every vehicle thoroughly, but I get the impression that switchology-related hot keys in the sim generally are confined to those switches out of your view when using optics.

For example, when your view is focused on the TIM in the Leo2 (F2), the buttons for smoke are out of view. But you know where they are. So there's a hot key for smoke. On the other hand, you can see and have access to the clickable toggles to set the peri at 12 and 6 and to switch between TIM and GPSE -- so, no hot keyS for those.

There are some exceptions (Leo2's TIM magnification and polarity), but you need hot keys for those in the M1, because you can't see them with your eye pressed to the GPS, and you probably have the muscle memory to know where they are without pulling your eye off the sight. Right?

Ergo ... and back on topic ... in the M1A2, the GLOS buttons are right there in front of your face when using the CITV. So you click them. You don't need no steenking hot key.

What do you think? Am I right?

The commander of a real M1A2 can manipulate the CITV stick with his right hand, and manipulate the CITV interface with his left. We don't have that ability in SB.

Good point. I was going to ask how the TC does it in the real world.

Although ... assuming the use of a joystick setup, one could set his mouse for left-hand use and mimick the functionality. :clin: