How to control M1a2 TC "F3" sight ?

Toastman

Until we all have touchscreen monitors, the CITV setup is inconvenient when compared to the LEO.

We should have a keystroke.

The commander of a real M1A2 can manipulate the CITV stick with his right hand, and manipulate the CITV interface with his left. We don't have that ability in SB.

Yaeh, and I don't think that 2 mouse pointers would be a solution for that either.

• 7 months later...

I understand the difference between GLOS CITV and GLOS GPS, but what I am having trouble with is determining which one to use in which circumstance?

It seems to me that you use GLOS CITV if you want to override and fire, as TC, through the CITV screen. And you use GLOS GPS if you plan on overriding and firing, as TC, through the GPSE. Are there any other situations that would dictate using one mode over the other?

Thanks!

Edited by DarkFib3r

On 10/3/2016 at 1:46 PM, DarkFib3r said:

I understand the difference between GLOS CITV and GLOS GPS, but what I am having trouble with is determining which one to use in which circumstance?

It seems to me that you use GLOS CITV if you want to override and fire, as TC, through the CITV screen. And you use GLOS GPS if you plan on overriding and firing, as TC, through the GPSE. Are there any other situations that would dictate using one mode over the other?

Thanks!

If you want to fire through the GPSE, it doesn't matter the CITV mode, just activate the palm switch, look through the sight, and fire away.

For the CITV itself, CITV GLOS allows you to designate targets more rapidly, but the gun will lag behind a little bit. GPS GLOS slaves the CITV to where the gun is pointing. 

I normally use CITV GLOS if I, as the Commander, want to designate targets to the gunner and allow him to do the shooting. If I am engaging targets as the Commander, I use GPS GLOS so that as soon as the aiming reticle is over the target, I know that the gun is lined up and I am good to fire. GPS GLOS is also useful for quickly seeing what your gunner is looking at, although the GPSE does the exact same thing.

On 9/22/2013 at 5:37 AM, Retro said:

There are (in NORMAL fire control mode) four modes the CITV can be in..

• CITV manual scan - the TC controls the CITV independent of the turret's movement, the CITV is fully stabilized
  • CITV auto scan - the CITV automatically scans a sector (relative to the tank hull)
  • GPS GLOS - the CITV follows the GPS's line of sight. If the TC overrides, he controls the gun via his GPSE (ie gun and CITV follow the GPS)
  • CITV GLOS - the CITV follows the GPS's line of sight. If the TC overrides, he controls the gun via the CITV (that is, gun and GPS follow the CITV - there will be a small movement when the 'override' switch is pressed). Note that is is NOT a good idea to lase in this mode (especially when looking through the CITV) as the laser is mounted within the GPS assembly, so that there will be some parallax error beween the line-of-sights of the CITV->target and GPS->target.. ie the lase beam might be slightly offset, and you might get erroneous results (no echo, multiple echos etc). Always look through the GPSE when lasing!

You can select the mode by pressing either of the topmost three buttons on the left frame of the CITV screen. The topmost button toggles between CITV Man/Auto scan, the middle button selects GPS GLOS mode, the third button CITV GLOS.

There's one more thing when in CITV manual scan.. the TC can perform a 'designate' action, which makes the gun move to wherever the CITV is looking.. this way the TC can slew the gun over to a target he detected using the CITV, then release control back to the GNR. Please look up the 'designate' keypress in the 'controls' UI.

In EMERGENCY mode you should still be able to perform all actions; however CITV GLOS mode behaves the same as GPS GLOS (IIRC).

In MANUAL mode it is not possible for the TC to overide the GNR (so no 'designate' functionality), the CITV should however still work normally in the Man/Auto modes.

All of this was typed from memoy but should be close enough hopefully.

Yes this is correct and is the closest detailed explanation.

Also when fighting degraded such as GPS malfunctioning, use your stadia reticle in CITV scan mode manual for measuring targets and then perform a designate which will create a new solution with lead. IRL if your GCDP was malfunctioning you would still be able to fight the tank with Ballistic Solutions being entered. The SEP has a redundant system which the data is stored in 2 of the same components MPU's stored in different locations. 

• 5 years later...

Even so this is 5 years old. I have been asked if on a discord channel if there would be a technical solution to operate the CITV buttons in F3 view through a keyboard binding and yes there is/are technical solution/s. With tools like AutoIt or AutoHotkeys one could have a AHK script running that reacts to a keyboard or joystick input and translate into a mouse move to a given postion and execute a mouse click. So won't work in F1 view but in F3 view as the buttons to click with the mouse are all in the same position it works. Just as a simple Proof of concept. So pressing ü (just used it for the test as it an unused key in SB on a German keyboard) can be replaced with key combos as well, send the mouse to the CITV Scan Man/Auto Button and send a left mouse click

ü::
MouseClick, left, 347, 129
return

spacer.png

Edited by oakdesign

• Members
9 hours ago, oakdesign said:

So pressing ü (just used it for the test as it an unused key in SB on a German keyboard)

Actually, it may be unused on your machine but by default (if German is selected as the application language) it's assigned to "close (formation) spacing" (since it's right next to the "+"). Just FYI.

Combos like Alt+Ü, Alt++ etc. (whenever it requires a painful contortion of the hand) should however still be assignable without conflict.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Actually, it may be unused on your machine but by default (if German is selected as the application language) it's assigned to "close (formation) spacing" (since it's right next to the "+"). Just FYI.

Now I'm confused. Exporting the default Standard.hkf to html and importing to Excel for better searchability. If German is selected as application language and Default standard.hkf is loaded the command for  "close (formation) spacing" / "Abstände im Zug verkleinern" is "-" not "ü" as you stated. 
Even when changing application language to English it stays the same so in my understating changing SB language still uses the keyboard layout set in OS.

Nevertheless I stated it just to show a Proof of concept that there are other ways to operate functions that don't have the possibility be bound through the SB controls menu to a keyboard and/or joystick command. So one could use whatever keyboard combo or joystick button to execute a mouse move and click AHK macro in order to switch those CITV buttons without using the mouse itself

As the only suggested solution in this thread sofar if using a joystick was to set up the mouse to be used left handed.

And btw the most sophisticated way by using SB on a touchsreen monitor, at least on the 3 Touchscreen monitors i have on hand I wasn't able to get SB to recognize Touch inputs

Edited by oakdesign

As requested by some users after last kanium session I recorded the process of setting up a Autohotkey Script that set's up 3 keybinds in order to activate push the CITV buttons in M1A2 TC F3 view. 
It got a bit lenghty as I just recorded the full process and trying to explain the whole process instead of just providing the script as I tried to keep the script as simple as possible and there fore it need some prework, mainly identifying the position of the buttons on screen in F3 view. This position can differ due to screen resolution or multi monitor setup.

But just for the sake for those already using AHK or ant to see the script

;Press ALT e mouse will move to given screen location and perfom a Left mouse click
!e::
KeyWait Alt
;Position of the CITV Man Auto Button in F3 view
Click, 349,123,Left, 1 ,D 
Sleep 100
Click, 349,123,Left, 1 ,U
return
;Press ALT f mouse will move to given screen location and perfom a Left mouse click
!f::
KeyWait Alt
;Position of the CITV GLOS in F3 view
Click, 349,272,Left, 1 ,D
Sleep 100
Click, 349,272,Left, 1 ,U
return
;Press ALT i mouse will move to given screen location and perfom a Left mouse click
!i::
KeyWait Alt
;Position of the GPS GLOS in F3 view
Click, 349,389,Left, 1 ,D
Sleep 100
Click, 349,389,Left, 1 ,U
return