Arty question

cobrabase

Okay... I plan to master arty over the months to come. I'm a chimp for the moment I guess.

I have to ask.... If I wanted to see those M109s unlock their barrels and fire away, how come I can't do it from a support request? I tried initiating the request as the XO, from the arty units themselves and from the FIST and my M109s sit there. I'm missing something? Do I have to "tie them" to proper chain of command?

Maybe it's because I was trying it out on previous mission... maybe it's because I'm a total chimp... teach me masters of war.

• Members

Well, it's supposed to do that, although the on-map artillery somewhat loses the point (being available only while in a firing position and supplied with ammo).

One thing to keep in mind is that artillery may be very wary of enemy units if there is a line of sight to them. At that point they become reluctant to execute fire missions.

Ideally we need some sort of system that uses both on map and off map assets to provide offensive fire spt.

That's possible now. If you add 6 tubes of on-map M109A3s and 6 tubes of off-map arty, you end up with 12 tubes available for fire missions.

From my test, the off-map artillery is always used first, though. So the on-map artillery will only fire when all off-map artillery is assigned. They will fire together at the same target if you happen to select tubes from both sources.

Mr Cobrabase.

My observations so far with on map artillery.

(Assummed no off map artillery is present.)

1) Must have right ammunition natures. HE Smoke etc.

2) Must have unobstructed flight path to target. (I.E. no shooting the hill next to you, to get at the target on the other side.)

3) Make sure the AI call for fires is OFF! (Deafault is on) (Otherwise the Arty will brass off their entire ammo load on the first enemy target that appears on the "battle net". This may also be because any unit can call for a support.)

4) Technical mounted mortars if firing to the side with mounted troops onboard gets, um, messy.

Well, it's supposed to do that, although the on-map artillery somewhat loses the point (being available only while in a firing position and supplied with ammo).

One thing to keep in mind is that artillery may be very wary of enemy units if there is a line of sight to them. At that point they become reluctant to execute fire missions.

And Nils.... 3.0 is beautiful. Thank you!