track Ir suported by SB?

SG1_Rommel

I tried it, head movements replacing mouse movement (true vector needs software support that SBP does not have). I was not convinced. In fact I use TrackIR exclusively in flight sims. Already in driving sims like GTR2 and RBR I find it's value extremely limited so that I do not care to fiddle with it anymore when launching thiese sims. for flight sims it is great, for everything else I would not spend the money on it.

I disagree there Skybird. I believe if it gets properly implemented, TrackIR will be a great advantage when standing in the TC's position. It will, IMO, make scanning the landscape much easier and more intuitive (SP?) Also one might be able to stabilize the Bino view in a somewhat more natural way, but it all depends on the implementation, ofcourse.

Could be usefull inside the 3D interiors too, when looking for switches and dialing in range.

Maybe even using the TIM in the 2A5 by simply just looking at it, and not have to "select" it.

But hey, thats just me.. I also like to use TrackIR in GTR, so obviously we have different views on this.

Tried the mouse/TrackIR thingie too, didn't like it one bit either!

Maybe it depends on the general setup. I use a HOTAS, stick-throttle-mouse, all simultaneously, and I am FAST in handling it. Panning with TrackIR does not give me an advantage over panning with the mouse, while my HOTAS is programmed in such a way, that mouse handling can be intuitively integrated into the handling whenever I see fit. In fact, it is superior, because more precise. TrackIR, even in stabilized mode, constantly creates minor movements. Especially aiming that is precise down to the single pixle is impossible in that manner.

So yes, different tastes, of course - and different setups.

TrackIR, even in stabilized mode, constantly creates minor movements. Especially aiming that is precise down to the single pixle is impossible in that manner.

So yes, different tastes, of course - and different setups.

Yes, in some sims/games it can be hard to keep the view still, in order to push buttons.

I never been able to use TIR in FS2004 for cockpitwork, but in one of the new Falcon4 versions (RV), it gives a good steady view.

Just have to ask, do you have the Vector expansion ? That was a major improvement, over the vanilla TrackIR 3 pro and the standard reflective dot. Really helps to steady the view!

That being said, in the event it gets implementet, I imagine the TIR will be disabled in the GPS, GAS, and the other views that simulate you have your head "in" the optics. It would be kind of wierd to control the turret with head movement, after all its not an Apache sim ;-)

Where I believe TIR will be usefull, is only in the positions where you are able to look around freely, e.g. out of the hatch or while sitting in the 3D interior, looking at the TC's screen in a Leo2A5 or CV90. You would still have to control the turret with mouse or joystick.

Oh well, one can dream..

He means the vector expansion, which gives six degrees of freedom. I also have that, and it works wonders in FS2004. On the other hand, I never try to "click" items in FS2004's 3D cockpits. I look at gauges while Track IR is active, and I look at lever positions, but I only make adjustment via hotkeys, joystick buttons and/or Game Commander voice commands. The 3D cockpit jumps around a bit to much with Track IR active to try to use mouse clicks.

I agree Track IR would be nice in SB, if it was handled like in FS2004, where it is only active in the 3D-cockpit view. So, for example, if one is playing the TC in an M113, it would be active when scanning but it would shut off when aiming the M2HB. If it was active all the time, then it would be a real pain in the behind to turn it on and off.

I was confused. I am living by the impression that TrackIR >4< always includes the Vector functionality. And yes, the vector thin works wonders in FS2004. especially with high arts virtual cockpits like that of the Piper cheyene by Digital Aviation. I never switch to 2D cockpit. Same is true for the Level-D 767 and the Realair SIAI Marchetti 260. The three back buttons on the throttle are reservbed for smoothing and centering (and switching on and off) the track IR. If experimenting with the internal variables a bit, you can fuinetune TrackIR that it gives fast reaction and with with active smoothing nevertheless offers clickable hotspots. switching between smoothing on and off is no problem with hands both on throttle and stick all the time.

Yes, I meant the Vector expansion for TIR 3 Pro. I don't believe TIR4 offers enough of an advantage over TIR3, to make it upgrade time for me, just yet.

Think i'll wait for TIR 5, if such a thing is ever made.

So TIR4 comes with Vector right out of the box then? Cool!

• Members

I can imagine that TrackIR could be useful in SB. I would only want to see it enabled while in the internal turret view and while scanning from the TC's hatch, or in the driver's place, and (as an option) in the external observer's position. But like I wrote before, in any case it's not a top priority thing. I could live without TrackIR for the past ten years in SB, so chances are that it really isn't at the top of the list of badly needed improvements.

• 2 months later...

Ssnake do you by any chance play any flight sims (vector extension-supported or maybe just IL-2)? If not, go to someone who has one of those things in his system and give it a shot. I can almost guarantee that once you experience it first-hand you will WANT to put it higher on the priorities list. I hear it's not terribly difficult to implement the support either. My mouth starts watering when I think what SB Pro PE could be like with built-in Track Ir support. drool.gif

I don't have any figures for you but it seems like every other flight sim player has purchased Track Ir already, so there are a lot of these things out there. Most flight sim players are, imo, potential SB buyers. Track Ir support would be good for marketing point of view too.

Their web site: http://www.naturalpoint.com/

A video showing Armed Assault with Track Ir: http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/gamedemo/dec8_trackir_and_arma_fm_low.wmv

• Members

In flight sims the need for it is much higher. How many racing games have (and need) TrackIR support?

You don't want TrackIR to take control of your sights. You could use it to look out of the hatch (until you activate the binoculars), and it could be nice and fun to have it inside the turret - but be don't have the time for "nice and fun" things as long as there are real emergencies to deal with in our development plan; likewise "could use" and "convenience" things take the back seat to manifest "we need X pronto" type of demand among our .mil customers.

• Members

The merit of TrackIR is that it eliminates the need for a third arm to look around while you are at the same time fiddling with a joystick or wheel. That situation never arises in SB, except maybe in the case of the driver's unbuttoned view.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Guys...

Track IR. Here is my take in the thing. Absolutely fantastic, I have Track IR 5 with 6DOF degrees of movement up, down, left, right, in, out, and I think SB would definitely benefit from it.

Hay they could even make some money out of it contact natural point get some sort of deal going and pass it on to their military customers who take the sim on and clip the ticket on the way.

The benefits you get from it is amazing, As I have read in the forum SB can get by without it but I say SB would come into its own with it allowing the player to move his head around and see the natural way you would see inside the tank and looking around through the hatches.

Yes you can do this with the mouse but that is old school now and we are moving into 2011 so what about SB?

I certainly see the benefit out weighing the negatives in this case. Yes it is not high on the list, but may I ask for it to be put on the list.

Regards

O_Smiladon

• Administrators

I think its desirable, but have trouble of thinking of how it would be used. Some players spend all their time in the map, others want to be in the gunsight all the time. I can't think of many that have said "hey, I spend all my time looking at the tank interior!" You can't really do much from there. You could use it when you stick your head out the tc's hatch, but you can just as easily look around with a mouse or a joystick.

Hay Sean,

Yes and thats no worries, But its there if you require it. And I feel that if people had the choice to use it, It would be used.

it just makes things the little bit more real life, We all turn our heads to move and look its natural, we dont put our hands on our heads and twist our necks to look, and thats what we are sort of doing with the mouse,if you can get were I am coming from.

to zoom in to look at an instrument in cockpit no more mouse wheel or + or - key (not sure how you do it yet still waiting on my copy) to get up and close to it, just look closer and you will natrually zoom in to see it.

I not asking for this to be put in the next patch please dont get me wrong but it would be cool to have down the line.

Yep I think Track IR would be a great asset.

O_Smiladon

I dont think you can , Some have tried on reading back through this thread. Granted this thread is abit long in the tooth as in age wise and a new version of Track IR is out now, Track IR 5.. but my skills in this matter are limited so I could not test this.

Hopefully Ssnake and the lads can flick the switch for us...

Cheers

O_Smiladon

"4.3.2 Mouse Emulation

Mouse emulation mode is used when there is no direct TrackIR support for the game you would like to play. You can attempt to configure the game as long as it has a mouse look option. For more details and information on mouse emulation please see section 5.6 in the manual. "

See here for further: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/TrackIR-manual-v4.1.028/tir4-Chapter_5.html

Let us know how you do.