Navmesh??

wolfstriked

I have read the manual about navmesh and am still lost.I take it that it is supposed to help the units get stuck less but I don't see any change.I took a shortcut with a 4 unit platoon and OMG was that a mistake.:debile2:Anyway,what do these options in map editor do and what exactly does the navmesh do.

Add navmesh/purge navmesh/show navmesh info/navmesh compression.

• Moderators

Well, in a nut shell:

Add navmesh: adds a navmesh to the your scenario

Purge navmesh: removes the nevmesh from your scenario (if it has one)

Show navmesh info: simply opens a pop up dialog stating whether or not your scenario has a navmesh

Navmesh compression: sets the compression level of the navmesh from None, Low, High. This takes effect once you save the scenario. Basically, "none" = scenario will load the fastest, but the file size will probably be very large. "High" is the opposite, and "low" is in the middle of the road.

/////////////////////

It sounds like your scenario does not have a navmesh. What you do is, you open the scenario in the Mission Editor, then select "add navmesh". It will build for a while, then save. Then run the scenario. At that point, when you plot a route -- if you hold the ALT key then the route will conform to the obstructions on the map in real time, allowing you to plot routes intelligently. There is a selection in the top level menu of the map to reverse the ALT key so that it behaves the opposite (if you prefer), where it does this at all times and holding ALT avoids the behavior. We chose to allow people to choose their own poison here, because some prefer the behavior one way or another.

Once you have a navmesh embedded in the scenario, and while it isn't perfect at this point yet, units should avoid things a bit better in their individual pathfinding routines.

• Members

Hold Shift to utilize the road network.

The biggest benefits from nav meshes are yet to come. They are an indispensable element for the automatic pathfinding of autonomous actors, especially civilian vehicles and characters moving from a source region to their drain. Also, you will notice some improvements in highly restrictive, urban terrain.

For military vehicles across open fields or inside of forests, you don't need a nav mesh. At least not yet. But we felt it was a good time to introduce this feature so you can familiarize yourself with them.

Thanks guys,I will try these suggestions out.

I find the "shift" navmesh feature perfect. So much easier to plot routes on roads now. Just click your unit you want to move, hold down shift and move cursor close to road you want them to utilize and set your endpoint. Route is practically done for you all using roads. Beautiful!