How to make ATGM rooftop?

macieksoft

• Members

Try to place an ATGM team with Hold orders close to a building (but outside of it) in the desired direction. If the building has troop position locations on the top, they should go there.

That said, none of the ATGMs currently have the flag set that they may be launched from inside a building. That MIGHT prevent the missiles from being fired from a rooftop even though it would technically be outside. Let me know if that is the case.

Try to place an ATGM team with Hold orders close to a building (but outside of it) in the desired direction. If the building has troop position locations on the top, they should go there.

That said, none of the ATGMs currently have the flag set that they may be launched from inside a building. That MIGHT prevent the missiles from being fired from a rooftop even though it would technically be outside. Let me know if that is the case.

Re Hold orders: Volcano thinks that matters are different now

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19713

Yes, IIRC "old way" has been adjusted. Instead of preferring floors, what it does is it orients on your BP orientation. I believe in the past it used to try to secure 360 degrees of the structure which was just too ineffective. So, if you tell the squad to defend towards the north, it will man all positions available in the building to fact that perspective. If the building is small, this means that it will populate roof, floor, middle levels, etc in order to accomplish that. If the building is even smaller, then it will occupy positions to the left/right as well (east/west in this case). In other words, the only thing that matters now is BP orientation, Hold and Defend will both occupy the building.*

Looks like it don't work. Infantry is occupying inside of building but not roof. ATGM launcher is not even being installed/deployed.

I tried to use E key in first person, but there was same problems as above.

Like I wrote, this may be due to the fact that no missile is currently prepared in SB Pro to be fired from inside a building.

I seem to recall that the exhaust of the typical ATGM missile (not RPG) is somewhat toxic. If that is the case one would imagine that firing an ATGM missile from within a building would not be a very healthy proposition for the gunner and loader of said missile.

• Members

I'm currently reading John D. Clark's "Ignition!" (An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants). You'd be scared about the kind of chemicals that make up rocket propellants. Fluoridic acid is one of the more harmless stuff. Explosives that you mix with TNT to make them less explosive.

It's a great read, though. Got inspired by that blog Things I Won't Work With.

The primary concern about missile launches from buildings however is the necessary room volume to contain the backblast of the missile launch without rupturing lungs and ears of the missile operator and people that are with him (or setting the room on fire from which he launches the missile). It's difficult enough with puny little RPGs. The Javelin may be the most benign soft launch missile of the lot in SB Pro, and even then, as you found out, there are other good reasons to prefer the open.

That said, I'll have it checked if we can modify the code so that missile launches from rooftop positions can be made possible.