Change mounted weapon implementation??

wolfstriked

All Hail the List!:eek2:

Ok,this is something I have been thinking about but never post since I was thinking that it can't be done under current SB engine.To begin with I think that Arma2 has done the right thing in regards to mounted machine guns in that you don't aim thru the iron sights but are looking above the weapon and using a crosshair.They did this because you lose too much view and in real life you can just tilt your head up and see a bunch more.In SB though you are placed so close to the iron sight that it becomes a hard weapon to use due to the iron sight blocking so much view area.I understand that its realistic as the zoom is close to real life and you actually do aim thru iron sights but its detrimental to fighting in a simulated world.

Here is a video in Arma 2 where the view is not so zoomed in and you aren't looking thru the iron sights.You can then zoom in with the zoom key if you want but truthfully I would rathe not be zoomed in at all or maybe in between what you have now in SB and the normal zoom when standing unbuttoned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rtRbCKajrY

I agree. Not sure why we can't fire it without looking down the sites. A typical method for firing the M2 in real life is to "walk your rounds " to target by simply adjusting your aim based off of the tracers.

I've never seen anyone use M2 sites in real life because it is normally obstructed by either your helmet or you can't bend down that far

You know, I know it isn't the original intent of Pro PE, but I think it would be kinda neat if it was possible to aim the weapons carried by infantry in a similar manner.

It might make for some interesting cooperation between commander, gunner, and infantry fighting in open hatches from an APC.

I agree. Not sure why we can't fire it without looking down the sites. A typical method for firing the M2 in real life is to "walk your rounds " to target by simply adjusting your aim based off of the tracers.

I've never seen anyone use M2 sites in real life because it is normally obstructed by either your helmet or you can't bend down that far

Exactly.:) I find that when I am in urban area it just screams for a fast reacting machine gun to counter fighting like that with the coax.The MBT's that keep a .50 atop should have this slight advantage IMO.The problem is SB forces you to not even bother as its harder then using the coax.A view like in video I posted and if you need to zoom in then toggle the default zoom button,though that changes the functionality and so I doubt that will happen.:frown:But I would rather fight with no zoom and a useable weapon then lose all situational awareness in current implementation.

You know, I know it isn't the original intent of Pro PE, but I think it would be kinda neat if it was possible to aim the weapons carried by infantry in a similar manner.

It might make for some interesting cooperation between commander, gunner, and infantry fighting in open hatches from an APC.

Do you mean to be able to set actual targets for infantry or like a FPS?I think being able to set a target is needed as today I set my infantry to take out an RPG crew but they took fire and forgot about their mission.

I had an instance yesterday night where my infantry squad ran face first into an enemy rifle team. They sat and watched each other until I gave my squad a suppress here order ...then watched them fire wildly away from the enemy team

It would've been nice to just press F7-F3 and fired a few bursts of M16 to kill the team.

Do you mean to be able to set actual targets for infantry or like a FPS?I think being able to set a target is needed as today I set my infantry to take out an RPG crew but they took fire and forgot about their mission.

I don't want to see us go to an FPS style system as Pro PE is more oriented towards simulating the movement of organized infantry squads rather than individual troops.

I would like to see players be able to designate a specific target for an infantry squad, which would then engage that target autonomously with all appropriate weapons, and to introduce a little bit of an FPS type mode as well.

Perhaps infantry squads could get a new F2 or F3 view where your cursor looks a bit like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/M16_rifle_correct_sight_alignment_FM_3-22.9_%2823-9%29_Fig_4-17.png

where a left click is used to fire your own individual weapon and a right click is used to order the rest of the squad to engage the target under your cursor.

I am well aware that Pro PE is primarily a tank and IFV/APC simulator. However, if we're going to give players the ability to look through the eyes of infantry, use their binoculars, and their missile systems, why not let them get a bit more hands on and act as a squad leader. It might add a little 'fun' value.

• Moderators

Yes, there are things in the work to do exactly that (allow a "peek" sight to walk tracers onto the target as an alternate to aiming down the sight). Given that all our resources are concentrated on making vehicles, it will take some time to work this into all guns, but at least now you know it is something we already want to do. ;)

Yes, there are things in the work to do exactly that (allow a "peek" sight to walk tracers onto the target as an alternate to aiming down the sight). Given that all our resources are concentrated on making vehicles, it will take some time to work this into all guns, but at least now you know it is something we already want to do. ;)

Oh my....is this "peek" you speak of for infantry or for mounted vehicles?:cul:

Hopefully, we will be able to use the topside loaders M-60 at some point with this!

• Moderators
Volcano,is it possible to get a pic that shows what you mean by a peek?Just to make the wait less tolerable and who knows,sometimes letting fans in on design choices makes for a better end product.:luxhello:

No, not possible to show unreleased features. I probably shouldn't have said anything to begin with, but my purpose was simply to say "we are aware of it, and are working on it". :clin: