To T-72 lovers... why do you like it?

Companion

I browsed the forum a bit just for the fun of it and found there had been a hassle about "Playable T-72" (And yeah, I want my T-72 too)

What is so special about T-72 that you would want to ride on this particular type of tank?

For me: T-72 is so... Sexy (Jesus I'm losing my mind)

Your explanation?

PS: I want my playable K-2 and OPFOR Chon'ma ho for fireworks.

I don't think it's a question of liking the T-72; speaking only for myself, but I'd want a playable T-72 and/or T-80 so that I could at least attempt to match on something like a less-uncertain and more-controllable basis my skills against someone crewing a M1 or Leo 2.

Those tanks are playable, of course; there's also something positive to be said about having at least one playable Soviet Cold War-era AFV. There are currently at least 10 crewable/semi-crewable vehicles for the NATO side of things. There are none, for the WP half of the equation.

Shot

I'll tell you why: It's the only Soviet piece of gear we'll have a chance to fully play. It's a commonly encountered foe in standalone and co-op. And it's loaded with 9K120 "Refleks" missiles that can reach to 5,000 meters (on T-72M1 only). Will that work?;)

the T-72M1 is not fitted with any refleks guided missiles, thats T-72B, T-80 series, and T-64 only.

you need the 1k13 guidance complex to guide the missile, without it, the missile will just fly aimlessly out of the guntube.

the T-72M1 and the other export versions are only fitted with the TPD-2-49 active IR sight.

i think the T-72M1 will make a nice playable vehicle for desert storm scenarios, along with non-playable T-55s.

I like the looks of it. Its very low silhouette makes it looks so cool.

And I like its simplicity compared to newer 21st century tanks like the M1A2 or the Leclerc. It's cheap too. A cheap tank which performs what it was designed for adequately. Besides it's a piece of history much like the P-51 being the symbol of WWII airpower, T-72 is the symbol of Soviet cold war era. Everybody has seen it somewhere in the tv, magazine, internet, anywhere.

You just can't help thinking Soviet or communism when you see one of these tanks.

When it was first deployed in Europe it was a dangerous opponent for NATO forces still Using M-60 and leopard 1 Tanks. Its a mean looking ass kicking tank low fast with a powerful Gun.But like most soviet equipment it had some serious flaws.

Crew comfort and no armoured protection for the ammo if they had mounted the auto loader in the Turret say like the leclerc it would have been an engineering marvel for its time.

I sat in the gunners seat off a T-72m ex east German model It was a great experience but i would not like to go to war in one .I also got to sit in the drivers station of a Tiger 1 the commanders station of a S Tank and the commanders

Station off a chieftain .The S tank was my Favourite

the ammunition in the carousel is relatively well protected.

its under a floor metal plate, and the ammunition itself is stored in metal casettes, which protects from most spall fragments. the problem however is that in the turret, theres several

completely unprotected combustible cartridge cases, which an indirect hit to, will cause the whole interior to incinerate. without those 5-6 additional propellant charges, only a hit to the lower part of the hull would cause a fatal explosion.

it almost seems like the designers went for this, the carousel has 2 small flaps covering the opening where the ammunition is raised through.

I check time to time this web in order to discover the message annuncing the T72, and nothing in all this time. Is like waiting after the war your husband will return as he is not officially dead, nut he never returns...

I check time to time this web in order to discover the message annuncing the T72, and nothing in all this time. Is like waiting after the war your husband will return as he is not officially dead, nut he never returns...

Belive me, the day they announces it they will send a email about it, so if you have put yourself on the mailing list you will know asap :)

What is so special about T-72 that you would want to ride on this particular type of tank?

Primary reason is crewable OPFOR unit. SBP really needs this and regarding all resources surrounding this matter, it is best candidate.

Secondary reason is that once you ridden this beast in RL, you simply have sweet spot for it :thelmut:

Well its sure that they will include the t-72 its just not sure when. I,m eagerly awaiting the implementation of moving suspension into the models. Some day it will be added but just not any time soon. It doesnt help if i keep making posts about it or waiting for it. Just enjoy the sim and sooner or later this stuff will be added.

Out of curiosity, how many of the T-72 lovers club have designed/played missions in the Leo AS1 against M1's and Leo 2's? It seems to me that since the AS1 is the closest playable tank that we have to the T-72 at the moment, more scenarios would be made with it. So where are they? (1986 Fulda MP Campaign acknowledged :))

• Moderators

Nah, they do not want to do that, they just want whine about not having a playable T-72. The AS1 is just too difficult! The irony is that the AS1's FCS is better than the T-72, so the day there is a playable T-72 the same people that refuse to play the AS1 but ask for the T-72 will never play it, and switch over to asking for a playable T-80. ;)

Using stand-ins (Leo1) just doesn't feel right. No one wants the T-72 for its technical merits; we want it because it's a widely fielded tank that should be incorporated in, well, most scearios.

For the same reason, I'm also a huge proponent of a non-playable T-55.